Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9  (Read 44667 times)

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
Great thread.
I loved the AAR.
Please keep the photos coming. :-*

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
I loved the AAR and especially the pictures. Can I ask what program did you use to modify them?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
I loved the AAR and especially the pictures. Can I ask what program did you use to modify them?

I have an ancient (10 years or so) version of Photoshop which I use for all my photo and illustration work; I think that the current "Photoshop Elements" can be bought for a reasonable price and has many of the functions (layer styles etc.) I used for pics like that. Basically, any slightly advanced photo manipulation software (e.g. Corel Photopaint), some of which you get free with scanners. The free "Gimp" graphic software should do the job, too, and I have a copy installed, but I predominantly use PS since I've become accustomed to it.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
I have an ancient (10 years or so) version of Photoshop which I use for all my photo and illustration work; I think that the current "Photoshop Elements" can be bought for a reasonable price and has many of the functions (layer styles etc.) I used for pics like that. Basically, any slightly advanced photo manipulation software (e.g. Corel Photopaint), some of which you get free with scanners. The free "Gimp" graphic software should do the job, too, and I have a copy installed, but I predominantly use PS since I've become accustomed to it.
Thanks!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 18-10-2011: 1st Game vs. CaGK-AdMech
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
Hi all,

yesterday, we played a first playtest game with my brother's new "Counts as Grey Knights" Adeptus Mechanicus army. The rules worked very well, and while I think that the Grey Knights are a brutal army at medium and close ranges, I would not call them broken - the sound trashing I got (2 vs. 7 killpoints) was mainly due me making a poor choice by using my Sternguard squad (should have taken the two Vindicator assault guns instead), being overcautious in my deployment and rolling abysmally bad, even for my standards.

This is my force arrayed - I brought a Master of the Forge "supertechmarine", 30 tactical Marines, 10 veteran Marines, and four Dreadnoughts of various loadouts (primarily geared to run up close, snipe at vehicles in the advance and then take out the AM/GK infantry, who is poorly equipped to fight tough walkers in melee, in close combat).

Some pics pretty much chronicling the course of the game - I advanced, laid down some supporting fire, failed to hit on 3+ or to wound on 2+ a lot, and had the Dreadknight smashing through my Dreadnoughts (and some infantry for dessert).

Overall, though, it was quite an enjoyable game. I'm looking forward to playing against that army once it is painted, and hopefully have a bit nicer terrain - thinking about doing some refinery pieces (emulating the old style) once I finish the current commission.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
Alrighty, this project had pretty much been on hold since last year as I got distracted by an Alpha Legion army and then by Dystopian Wars, but since the army was pretty much finished, it wasn't that bad, I think.

Still, the recent announcement by Forge World of a Horus Heresy campaign cycle and a chance find at a local game store resulted in a figure to represent Primarch Dorn (pending the eventual release of a FW figure and my purchase justification hypocrisy phase of the same).

The figure, shown above with a Space Marine for size, is a Scibor resin piece (called "SF Praetorian Guard" or something) - I replaced the rather clunky shield and bolter-halberd-thingy with a storm bolter (representing the "Arrow of Dorn" from the Marine codex) and a terminator power fist with some putty to smooth the joints. Sculpting is decent enough, with some nice decor on the armour, although it shows the usual stylistic deficits, specifically pressmoulding, but overall, I am rather happy with the outcome. The supplied base is rather nice, and sets the figure apart from the rest of the army, while tying it in at the same time by repeating the black and white checkerboard element which I left off the predominantly gold armour.

Some more angles:

My brother is currently considering an Emperor's Children army using the new Chaos Space Marines as a core, and has already converted a rather nice-looking terminator warlord, so I guess/hope the Fists will see some more action in the near future.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
Nice conversion, indeed!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84