Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:23:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691102
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

How do you base your graves/tombstones?

Individually
11 (22%)
2's and 3's
9 (18%)
4 or more
4 (8%)
straight line
8 (16%)
wobbly line
6 (12%)
all over the place
12 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: May 11, 2015, 08:01:25 AM

Author Topic: Graveyards  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Graveyards
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »
I'm planning to do a graveyard later this year, but I'm wondering how to proceed. It will be used from medieval times right up to the 40th milennium

I've built lots of single item stuff for other projects, and while very nice, does take longer to place on the table. I have no experience with multi bases, but do spot them in reports sometimes...

What do you prefer and why?

You can vote for items single, sets or more, AND type of line. Max of 3 votes per member.

Thx!
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline DLIinVSF

• Librarian
Re: Graveyards
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
For earth (UK/Northern Europe medieval to 20th century)churchyards I've tended to do them rather conventionally straightish rows with different stones. Sometimes with a central path leading to a church.

My 19th century human graveyards on Mars tend to aim towards the same style but smaller in numbers , Martian terrain features and more wooden crosses (Western style) and the odd Martian style head stone for those who wanted something "native". These tend to still have raised mounds of earth as the they are all pretty new and the ground hasn't shifted or settled. This differs from the earth graveyards above as they tend just to be flat grassed areas with headstones.

At the moment these Martian bases have red sand but I'm currently going through a terrain crisis and may give into the dark side and go for sometime lighter for all my terrain in future i.e. repaint the old ones two. I mainly use mdf heads stones to cut down the costs for max numbers.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »
For earth (UK/Northern Europe medieval to 20th century)churchyards I've tended to do them rather conventionally straightish rows with different stones.

Same for me. For convenience in setting up games I used old CDs as bases fro multiple gravestones.Also remember to include mausoleums and statuary as graveyard monuments (Crooked Dice do a nice set of (not Dr Who) scary angels). for the most part I used Renedra plastic gravestones, some larger resin graves and monuments (try Ainsty for a start) and GW's graveyard set.

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »
Ooh, lovely that, highly inspirational !  ;D

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
I'm working on a necropolis table for EOTD and I'm treating my graves like forests; having an irregular shaped base with a scattering of tombstones on it. All WIP at the moment, will try and get a shot up to show.

Offline Teld

• Bookworm
    • The zulu war in Miniature
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
I will be making one up sometime soon (I hope) and am planning on going down the single graves route due to:
  1. them having a smaller footprint so easier to store
2.  ease of use, single bases allow me to use them in all manner of configurations and setups from wild west, old English churchyard, city necropolis, or post apocalyptic relic's

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
Same for me. For convenience in setting up games I used old CDs as bases fro multiple gravestones.Also remember to include mausoleums and statuary as graveyard monuments (Crooked Dice do a nice set of (not Dr Who) scary angels). for the most part I used Renedra plastic gravestones, some larger resin graves and monuments (try Ainsty for a start) and GW's graveyard set.

Amazing modelling really inspiring.
Regards
Richard
Grumpy Old Git