Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:41:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1471 (a year and more)  (Read 5278 times)

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
  • "Me and _my_ army! Kachunga!"
1471 (a year and more)
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:20:15 AM »
OK, enough distractions and diversions. This past month I bought a parcel of vikings, more fuedals, HYW, WHFB Empire, (and even Epic 40k models!) Enough!!!!  >:D

I have cleared the decks. I have gotten back to what I've been trying to dial in for more than 10 years. What has eluded me is a common thread, a theme, something to tie all the late medieval armies I have already completed, am in the midst of completing (or have hopes of completing.

These are Yorkist _and_ Lancastrian WotR factions, Charles the Bolds Burgundians, Swiss Confederates and their various allies, and The host of the spider king Louis XI of France. These armies all represent a web of interconnected geopolitics to me so I've decided to model these armies based upon a single year: 1471

Burgundy is in ascendency
Warwick is still alive
France is mucking things up nicely
Edward IV has his hands full
The Swiss Confederates are starting to flex their muscle (Berne)

Yes. This is the focus. Stay tuned....

Cheers,
Fred :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: 1471 (a year and more)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:22 AM »
I think having something to tie it all together is great... I chose 1477 and the aftermath of the Battle of Nancy, purely for the reason that I cannot buy or paint everything at once. I can begin with the French and Post-Charles Burgundians/Low Countries and have until 1483 before I need to introduce the English in quantity for the Wars of the Roses. Should I choose to I can then move onto Granada in 1487 and so on.

Themes are good, I fully approve.  :) 

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 01:21:29 AM »
Part one solved, I now believe I have solved the grand unified theory of basing too. This has vexed me for years. I've played WAB for years and therefore used their basing as my default. Unfortunately I found it less than satisfying from a 'modeling aesthetic' point of view. I wanted more organic spacing between models and more of a diorama feel too. (but at the same time I wanted to play WAB when the chance arose.

Last winter I bought Terry Gore's Medieval warfare and this added another wrinkle in my deliberations. So, while riding today I think I solved it all. WAB has a default 20mm frontage per model. Medieval Warfare can be played with virtually any frontage but 60mm seems the ideal.

Key stands (command stands etc..) will be based on a 60mm base. Other stands on a 40mm base (with loose 20mm stands to fill in.). 3 files wide is the max for column march inWAB and 40mm is the minimum frontage. Everything can be configured back to 60mm with plenty of room for dioramas and the like.

I've decided that WAB can shove off with regards to 1:1 modeling. (Some stands will have odd numbers of models to give the bases a more organic appearance.

I know lots of you are already doing something essentially the same. I'm just slow and it takes me a while to work out the details.

lol

Cheers,
Fred

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 05:13:06 AM »
Part one solved, I now believe I have solved the grand unified theory of basing too. This has vexed me for years. I've played WAB for years and therefore used their basing as my default. Unfortunately I found it less than satisfying from a 'modeling aesthetic' point of view. I wanted more organic spacing between models and more of a diorama feel too. (but at the same time I wanted to play WAB when the chance arose.

Last winter I bought Terry Gore's Medieval warfare and this added another wrinkle in my deliberations. So, while riding today I think I solved it all. WAB has a default 20mm frontage per model. Medieval Warfare can be played with virtually any frontage but 60mm seems the ideal.

Key stands (command stands etc..) will be based on a 60mm base. Other stands on a 40mm base (with loose 20mm stands to fill in.). 3 files wide is the max for column march inWAB and 40mm is the minimum frontage. Everything can be configured back to 60mm with plenty of room for dioramas and the like.

I've decided that WAB can shove off with regards to 1:1 modeling. (Some stands will have odd numbers of models to give the bases a more organic appearance.

I know lots of you are already doing something essentially the same. I'm just slow and it takes me a while to work out the details.

Fred,

I went through the same ordeal a few years ago..... in the end the only solution was to r-base- I chose the classic Impetus basing on 120 frontage not being all that bothered about how deep my formations were. In the end I this proved to be a bit of a red herring (not the rules, they're quite good if played with the right people but the basing). I'm about to start re-basing but I'm going to 50 x 50mm for so called lights as I can always add a 10mm extra at either side to make up an Impetus base and the extra 5mm won't be too much of a disadvantage on WAB style basing either.

Good luck with it all, re-basing can be a real chore, but do post up pics as you go along  :) It will add impetus to your work and add impetus to those seeing your lovely pc=ics (ie me!!  lol ).

Darrell.

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
So I gotta ask. Since basing is a question is something that always throws a fly in the ointment of my army projects, what are others of you most frequently basing your armies for? I keep a pretty thorough photo archive and it looks like 60mm and 60mm square wins out.
60mm is a good size but I have already found that for certain models (artillery, wagons and the like) even that can be a bit cramped). What game systems are most popular these days? I find this question interesting because game systems come and go (but you're still left with your armies so getting locked into _one_ system only poses problems).

Key here is that I really want to get a way from the skirmishy looking individual basings. I have shelves of those and it doesn't yield the same satisfying look.

Really fun, reasonably popular game systems that are not strictly basing specific would really be a magic bullet (that's why I'm not looking at you, WRG).

Cheers,
Fred

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
Sat down today to start moving the ball forward on this project a bit. While awaiting new bases from Litko I started to add some retainers for Oxford's Lancastrian retinue. These armies will incorporate a lot of the vintage models updated with new plastic bits I posted last month. This fellow is an old Citadel retainer with his sword filed down to a more plausible shape and a fresh head swap.

Cheers,
Fred

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
Beautiful brush work Fred  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
Lovely painting - amazing how newer Perry heads really rejuvenate their older figures.
looking good!

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »
Lovely painting - amazing how newer Perry heads really rejuvenate their older figures.
looking good!

Thanks, the newest Perry plastic release makes the possibilities even more tantalizing. Not just new heads, but arrow bags and accessories. Wow, its gonna be fun.

Speaking of accessories. I have always been curious who you got to cast all those wonderful plums you used on your Burgundians. Are they available on the market or were they a "one off" ?

Cheers.
Fred

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
Fred
Its got me looking at old Citadel range for poses which I could use, with new heads...most of mine are sold now.

The arrow bags are very useful - I have created some archers with them last week  - http://je-lay-emprins.blogspot.co.uk/

The plumes were designed for me by Oliver at Steel Fist Minis. I am about to get a new mould done for them, so I should have some castings in next few weeks. I will post a notice here (assuming i'm allowed) to see if anyone wants to buy any.
Cheers
Simon.

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
Excellent conversion and painting on that old fellow. I'm looking forwards to watching this thread. :)

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »
Only got two models completed yesterday. Had to take a break and hit the matinee' of Fury Road. (must see cinema!!!) o_o

Did finish another retainer and do a little more conversion work over coffee this morning. If I manage it, blending new Perry and old Citadel/Foundry should be seamless. (well, that's the goal anyway. I'll leave it for others to judge as things get all based up.

Cheers,
Fred

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »
I will post a notice here (assuming i'm allowed) to see if anyone wants to buy any.
Cheers
Simon.

You get my vote!  :) ;)

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
The plumes were designed for me by Oliver at Steel Fist Minis. I am about to get a new mould done for them, so I should have some castings in next few weeks. I will post a notice here (assuming i'm allowed) to see if anyone wants to buy any.

That would be down to the good Captain as mod on here to decide, but AFAIK this would not be considered a 'commercial' activity as such, so should be acceptable... and indeed gratefully received in all probability.
 :)

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
That would be down to the good Captain as mod on here to decide, but AFAIK this would not be considered a 'commercial' activity as such, so should be acceptable... and indeed gratefully received in all probability.
 :)

Absolutely, gratefully received! :)
(I've been soft pedaling completion of my Burgundians in large part because I have my heart set on adding wonderful plumage and have found nothing near as nice as what Simon added to his. )
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:01:47 PM by le bon roi rene »