Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Which type of ruleset do you prefer?

Printed
Printable
PDF
Homegrown scribbled down
Printed and PDF package

Author Topic: Printed versus PDF rules  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Printed versus PDF rules
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
A trip to the post office to retreive three 7TV rule sets is all that is needed to make me happy.
I am a big fan of 7TV  rules, they're excellent quality books and fun to read too - and I have to admit a preference for printed rules. I own at least one PDF set of their rules too, but in the end bought the much-preferred hardbound copy.

I can appreciate, however, the advantages of PDF - easier to store; generally cheaper; potentially accessible wherever you are (e.g. chance finding of a pile of cheap models on a trip abroad, needing a  look at the rules to see how much you really need to buy for a unit - oh who am I kidding, just get the lot... :D), and more friendly to the trees too.

I still prefer printed - and especially hardbound - rule sets - easier on the eye (to me at least); don't require a computer or other device to read (something I use continually for work); more enjoyable on a warm, sunlit, Mediterranean afternoon, or at three in the morning when you can't sleep because of some foul mess up at work.

Best of both worlds is a useful option of course, but I have to see I care so little for PDFs that given the choice I'd probably still prefer printed only! And I guess some would prefer, for the above reasons, PDF only.

Printable - not a fan, as I never get round to doing it, and if it's printed I prefer a nicely bound copy.

Homegrown scribbles - nice, but (again in my case), nowhere near as effective (or legible!) as my clumsy designs.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:16:00 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Printed versus PDF rules
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »
Definately printed hardbacks. But I do have sort of a book fetish..

I absolutely loathe having loose papers as they will inevitable get out of order and you can never find the section you are looking for.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
I like pdf rules, although I print them and have them bound with a spiral binding as I don't like to read too much on the screen. That may be daft, but I like to be able to scribble into my rule book, and I have less qualms doing this in my spiral-bound copy of Sharp Practice (which includes a printed collection of all FAQ and the amendments for Wars of the Roses, so it's a copy custom made for my needs) than in the Hail Caesar rulebook. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against nice hardcover rules, but I like the option to customize things. I wouldn't like digital only rules, i.e. rules that couldn't be printed and rely on the moderation of the computer to use.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
I like hard copy... but my recent travels have bought home how much they are not exempt from your baggage allowance. Having access to the rules (and books) on my tablet has been a godsend, so I'm a true convert to print and pdf packages.

:) 

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »
Nice thread. Two smart devices recently came to my possession (smartphone and tablet) and I see them extremely useful for keeping rulesets inside. Whenever I need to take a look at the rules, it's there, right in my mobile phone. If I go play a little skirmish, I only take a little figure case (I really love the Feldherr Mini) and I can fit my tablet with all the rules inside along with dice and everything. I really enjoy how the digital rules are affecting our hobby (including army building apps and so on).

BUT

I hate checking rules on a screen during the game. When I play, I have to have a paper in my hand. Be it original book or printed version. It's so much better to keep track of rules or make some quick checks.

So I like both.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »
Printed hardback is my preferred option. Softbacks just don't stay open on the table and get dog eared quickly.

PDF is fine for locating a rule quickly, for quoting/referencing, and for checking on wherever I am. However, it is not a proper substitute for comfortable reading for me - important if I'm trying to learn the rules.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »
Printed hardback is my preferred option. Softbacks just don't stay open on the table and get dog eared quickly.

PDF is fine for locating a rule quickly, for quoting/referencing, and for checking on wherever I am. However, it is not a proper substitute for comfortable reading for me - important if I'm trying to learn the rules.

That.
PDF for searching the page and then the hardback to actually read it  :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »
Printed only

Cultist#83

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
The ability to search PDFs is a winner for me.

I don't typically buy into rules requiring any sort of long read, so while I do prefer real books for longer reads, this generally doesn't apply to something like rulebooks.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
I'd like to say both - I like the idea of a properly done PDF, with built-in links, and a searchable index... but ultimately I just prefer a proper book. I find it easier to take information in when it's on paper rather than screen.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
For me it is pdf plus print option.

In these days of tablets / iPads etc I read more and more books on a Kindle or similar Pad.
Especially if you are travelling a lot it is a real blessing. ;)

IMO it is also more convenient while playing since do not have to mave a big dead tree book around. (I really dislike these bloated more pics then content hardbacks)

So how are you reeading your pdfs? PC or tablet?

On a sidenote, 2 of my books are also available as print on demand. Of these 2 books only around 5% of the buyers chose print! :o
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
I love a nice printed book - there is, after all, a very tactile "real world" centre to this hobby, and it's good to leave the computer behind for an evening's gaming, painting or reading.

That said, I travel a lot with work and having a tablet of PDFs is very handy.  Good for storage too - these days I have fewer printed RPG and wargames books than I've had since the 1980s.  More room for minis!

Printable quick reference guides and army lists are very useful - take a bow Two Hour Wargames and Savage Worlds (Pinnacle sells a GM screen with plastic wallets and makes reference sheets available as inserts for the screen).  In terms of computer support, army builders, even dice on the smartphone, all help.  My favourite is the online map of the Traveller Third Imperium, with data down to the level of individual planets.  Heck, you FEEL like you're plotting the course on the nav computer of a Free Trader...

The Long Tail - so many games from my youth are now available again as PDFs, it's refreshing to see how good many of them were.

So I keep a core of favourites in print form for browsing, and have a vast library of games old and new on the tablet.  SO... both!

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »
I prefer the printed book. But if there's a reasonably priced package (which means NOT x2 the price of the book!) containing the book plus a PDF I will take this.
As mentioned by others, PDF has several advantages (like I can start to read it while waiting for the book to arrive by snail mail) and I like to print the stuff (reference sheets etc) I used to photocopy back then.
If I can get only the PDF I'll print it completely, so for me PDFs have to be printer-friendly.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
I like hard copy... but my recent travels have bought home how much they are not exempt from your baggage allowance. Having access to the rules (and books) on my tablet has been a godsend, so I'm a true convert to print and pdf packages.

:) 

This X 2.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
I have some rules on my tablet and if they are the thinner soft backed variety then I'm quite happy, but once they get denser and glossier then I prefer a good old hardback set.

I don't mind reading novels in tablet form, but I prefer my reference material to be a hardback book....I'm a margin scribbler and as much as I use my table for almost everything at work, nothing beats the look and feel of a good book!