Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New fictional book about Jack the Ripper and Bram Stoker  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
New fictional book about Jack the Ripper and Bram Stoker
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:33:49 AM »
I stumbled upon this the other day: The Dracula Dossier.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dracula-Dossier-Novel-Suspense/dp/0061711314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223710124&sr=1-1

The Dracula Dossier tells the story of the Irish novelist, Bram Stoker's encounter with and conquest of Jack the Ripper-events which pass from the all-too-real into the fictive, and foreshadow Stoker's later "Dracula". Trouncing from Manhattan to London's West End and Whitechapel, from Dublin to a ritualistic denouement in Edinburgh, this sweeping, magnificent novel is a suspenseful trip into the heart of literature and history, as Stoker goes on the 'true' adventure that will inspire him to write "Dracula".

It sounds like it could be an interesting diversion to pass the long winter evenings. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
Re: New fictional book about Jack the Ripper and Bram Stoker
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »
Sounds interesting...especially with the dark nights putting in and a good diversion to the soaps on the telly... ;D
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: New fictional book about Jack the Ripper and Bram Stoker
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:37:57 PM »
It looks very interesting. I like these sort of books, where they take real people and fictionalise contemporary events, then add some fantastical elements to provide new twists on old tales. The "thin wobbly plot" is a little worrying, but I've read plenty of those that gave me lots of entertainment, so I'm not too bothered.

In a similar vein, I read a novelisation of how Wells might have come to write War Of The Worlds, which involved several real and imaginary Victorian characters, aliens both dastardly and friendly and ... well I won't spoil the plot.

Sadly, being an old fool, I've forgotten the name of both book and Author   >:(

It was pretty good though and showed plenty of imagination and deft touches.

The List of Seven, by Mark Frost is another one worth reading and does a similar thing with Arthur Conan Doyle, showing where he might have got the inspiration for Holmes and Watson.