Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle for Uman : August 1941  (Read 2050 times)

Offline matiec

• Librarian
The Battle for Uman : August 1941
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
The third battle in our mini Uman Kessel campaign. The remnants of the Russian 18th Army trapped in the pocket and under pressure from the German 125th Infantry Division, supported by the 4th Mountain Division and the 11th Panzers. Another close battle just to the East of Uman itself. Once again we used Blitzkreig Commander and a slightly modified Assault mission. The Germans had 50% more troops and control of the skies as is historically accurate. The Russians have dug in on five key objectives the Germans need to shift them to win. We improved the leadership of the Russian command for the battle on the basis that they would likely be better with their backs to the wall.

I am just going to post a bunch of the photos here if you want a fuller description of the battle see my blog.
http://wargamesinthedungeon.blogspot.com

Needless to say it was a close run thing, Germans pushed forward across the whole battlefield, the 4th Mountain Division on the right flank made slow and costly progress. The 11th Panzers on the left were able to bring overwhelming numbers into the fight and started to push the Russians back. In the Centre German 125th Division with Panzerjager support just  managed to reach their objective. We judged it a minor German victory as the clock struck home time for the Russian general.

Really happy to answer questions etc... Matt

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: The Battle for Uman : August 1941
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »
I do like the look of the game - the style of the photos (desaturated?) really gives a WWII look.

How are your flight stands constructed, and how tall are they? I have just ordered some 3mm acrylic rod to put together some flight stands for 1/300th aircraft - so any tips will be gratefully received.

Offline matiec

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
Thanks I'm sad but just love the filtered photos can't get enough of them, they are just using the filter function on my iPad !. As for the stands, the one in the photos is a special one I created for my flames of war Americans. The rod is glued into a standard plastic base but then the whole thing stuck onto a big metal washer to give it weight and stability, although you can't see it very well the base has a small washer and rocks to use as a counter for 1,2,3 aircraft as per FoW rules. I use small magnets to attach aircraft, magnet on the aircraft and small tacks cut down which I stick to the top of the stick. For air combat I use slightly shorter poles about 6" which fit into the hexagonal flight stands, I use my own home made rules based around the old aeronautica rules by GW. I have found the challenge in 1:300 scale is you can't get adjustable flight stands in anything like an appropriate size they are all far to big which for me spoils the effect, so it is a compromise between getting the look right and adjustability. If you're interested I could post some pictures ?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
I'll have to have a play with the photo options on my iPad next time the WWII stuff is on the table.

If you can post some more photos of the flight stand that would be cool.

I've tried using the head of nails in the past, but didn't seem to get enough grip, so went with 2 magnets - which means lots of checking that you have got the polarities right. But I might try nail heads again with smaller planes.

Offline matiec

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »
For the colour effect just go into edit mode on the picture and then filter it gives you about 8 different options. For the flying stands I have also tried two magnets but have found getting them the right way round really difficult. I find it a pain pasting pictures here so I will stick them on my blog with a little description. Give me a few minutes.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 10:42:55 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos on your blog.

Interesting that you have gone for just sticking the magnet on the bottom of the plane - I might try this, as I have drilled out a few, and its quite hard work. And on 1/300th planes there isn't that much fuselage to drill out.

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
Very cool photos. I'd like to get into micro-armor, I have a French DCR box set, and a few Moderns here-and-there.

These photos are inspiring. :)

Offline matiec

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments, there are lots of benefits to 6 mm WW2 as it gives a real feel of scale at a slightly more affordable price. I am planning some more projects on the eastern front soon.