Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A 'Lost World' for In Her Majestys' Name  (Read 4636 times)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
A 'Lost World' for In Her Majestys' Name
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »

I'm currently in the process of doing a 'Lost World' for my IHMN games. It's very much a work-in-progress but the general idea is because the 'Lost World' setting is small and self-contained you don't need to bother with Companies. Instead, you choose from a list of Lost World 'good guys' and 'bad guys' for each particular scenario with, perhaps, the addition of some Lost World beasties for random encounters. You just need to settle on a points limit and a scenario.

Anyway, I've posted up on my blog what I've done so far (inlcuding a PDF version for those who might want to use it).

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: A 'Lost World' for In Her Majestys' Name
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »
What a splendid idea well realised!  :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline strawbuk

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
oh man I'm so copying that!    8)

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »
Love the blog. Well constructed lists. Only list missing is a sort of 'Lost Tribe'. If I might make some suggestions...

I have a large number of Celtos miniatures (bought in a B&B) armed with bows, spears, swords etcetera. They make excellent lost tribe figures, just the right amount of fur and beards and attitude.

To my mind the Zulu list in HVF for a Lost tribe would work with some tweaks.
Veteran, Bloodied and Unbloodied transfer across beautifully to old (grizzled), mature and young warriors.
Allow warriors to have a choice of swords, bows and axes alongside spears and clubs, but no rifles or other modern weapons.
Use the Inyanga stats for Shaman characters with perhaps more mystical power options.
Have a berserker option for the really bearded warriors.

And there must be an option for a pet Sabre Tooth Tiger!
I'd use the stats for a Lion/Tiger with perhaps an AR 9 and tough to emphasize its primeval power.

I look forward to using these lists soon.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:46:00 PM by Tehet »

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:59:33 PM »
Thanks, chaps!

Great stuff, Tehet. I did think about a 'caveman' tribe but thought it might be a bit too crowded in the 'Lost World'. The 'good guys' you've seen but the 'bad guys' I will post up once the figures are done (they are already bought)...but, basically, they consist of an Ayesha-type Atlantean Queen aided by Serpent Priestesses with a very limited number of Atlantean Warriors. Survivors of the fall of Atlantis they set up a new colony here over two thousand years ago. The Atlanteans are masters of the original native (and probably cannibal) tribe who worship them as gods. The tribe will have their own warriors and witchdoctors who do the Altanteans bidding. So what with the Atlanteans and Natives against the Amazons and Apes (and Zan-Tar and Ne-Ja) as well as the Explorers I figured anything else would make it a bit overcrowded. There are also, of course, the dinosaurs and other giant beasts.

Maybe IHMN needs a Hollow Earth, too...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:44:04 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
I must admit I was thinking of Verne and Doyle and all the 'B' Movies of the 60s and 70s when Doug McClure seemed to appear in all of them. I did also enjoy the TV adaptation of the Lost World at the turn of this century. Some great characters, together with giant bees, dinosaurs and lizard men! Definitely worth a watch for inspiration and ideas and much of the series is available on e-bay at pretty cheap prices. Of course my own enthusiasm had nothing to do with Jennifer O'Dell's animal hide bikini..

From left to right, we have...
Lord Roxton: Big Game Hunter, Explorer, all round rugged hero Marguerite Krux: Professional Thief and Dilettante, Veronica: Jungle Girl (good at hunting and fighting), Professor Challenger: Scientist and Archaeologist (leader) and Ned Malone: Reporter (in love with Veronica and not very worldly wise).

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:58:49 AM by Tehet »

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
H Rider Haggard is my favourite (She both book and film were foremost in my mind for this Lost World) but I'm a huge fan of Doyle's Lost World and Burroughs as well as those old Doug McClure movies (can't wait for Antediluvian Miniatures to release their heroes and Atlantean Warriors)!

Shall have to check out the TV Series as that passed me by. Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:24:35 AM by wulfgar22 »

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:26 AM »
H Rider Haggard is my favourite (She both book and film were foremost in my mind for this Lost World) but I'm a huge fan of Doyle's Lost World and Burroughs as well as those old Doug McClure movies (can't wait for Antediluvian Miniatures to release their heroes and Atlantean Warriors)!

Shall have to check out the TV Series as that passed me by. Cheers!

The BBC made a Lost World TV film sometime in the last 10 years too. iIRC it starred Bob Hoskins as Professor Challenor! I watched Doug McClure in ERB's "At The Earths Core" for the first I me a couple of days ago. I kept thinking, " this was made at almost the same time as "Star Wars!" terrible special effects, but Redeemed by Carolyn Munro.