Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Messing with 3d printing - Building pieces. January  (Read 19844 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Messing with 3d printing - Gypsy wagon Complete 22 Aug
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 07:52:08 PM »
THanks guys, it's really cool to have that one finished. Now to push myself to doing some harder stuff. With the scorpion, to get it to work, I've had to open it on Zbrush and create it as a dynamesh to make it work properly. Not a big deal but time consuming.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 02:44:39 AM »
I've been a bit slow on using this lately. With my daughter more mobile, crawling around, I've been reluctant to have the printer going for fear of small fingers. Then I had the great idea of using a chair to block her off   ::) should have thought of solutions sooner.
Anyway using the printer and some foamboard I've been making pieces for modern housing apartments and stores. This is a bit of a side project from my Summer Project elsewhere in the workbench. sigh distracted easily.  lol

Front wall. I'm probably only going to use the smaller windows but put them all over in a uniform fashion. This one is 3 stories high but I can make them as big as I want.

Interior. I've been thinking of making it usable inside with floors, however removing floors to get to lower ones may be a bit difficult. It still works well for adding the roof. Although as this piece is working with a couple of different prototypes the roof will be a bit more difficult. I had to put some pieces upside down which doesn't make a difference on the outside but for putting the floors it works differently.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »
Dang!  :-*

And these will be commercially available for us at some point?  ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2016, 07:50:08 AM »
Lol, they'd be cool to have. Much cheaper than full resin kits as foam board is so cheap. I'm still in the process of perfecting the design too. The top of the roof is a bit dodgy at the moment. It will do for one building to make it different to the others but looks a bit weird.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »
Wow nice parts! Its funny I´m working on a similar Idea like you aside to my Vaultstuff. My initial inspiration were the old Mortheim Building Kits. My approach is still very wip and just in 3D arm. I want to have this for a Art Deco Settting to have this useable in Fallout PostApoc Gametable.
I´m suprised how big and Chunky You´ve made the parts. Is there a certain reason like stability etc. or just to have the parts with more depth to the walls?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 10:22:53 PM »
Lol, never actually thought about making them less chunky. The good thing is that I can mess around with all the sizes easily. I do like this size though as they clip together nicely and I don't feel like I'll break them easily. Would you like the files to mess around with yourself?

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
Re: Messing with 3d printing - Building pieces. January
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
Would you like the files to mess around with yourself?

Not at the Moment. Its still very WIP and awaiting its approval in Print and assembly. I have a 2mm thick notch to hold the Wallmaterial (Papercardboard or embossed Plasticsheet etc.)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »
Much more superior to my stuff. That looks great.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »
Wouldn`t call it superior to your stuff. Keep in mind you compare finished printed parts with rendered 3D parts. My stuff will look a little rough after printing too be sure! Aside from that you`ve already proofen that your parts have function after the print my stuff not yet.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »
True. Always fall into the trap of 3d rendered pieces looking great. I have revised my pieces though and made them smaller. I can print 12 at a time now.
Last night I had the printer running overnight and unfortunately the print failed. I had a spiderweb of yellow plastic.
I'm thinking I'm just going to (2d) print the bricks for the walls surface just to speed things up rather than painting the wall surface.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
Or do ONE Set in perfect conditions, make some Silicon molds and cast the parts in cheap resin. In the End its much less work to do and will be my way for the parts.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
I  used to do resin casting but ran out of silicon and resin so never invested more in it.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »
I also just realised, the majority of the jigsaw type structure is unnecessary. I'm going to get rid of them. I might do as you said and look into casting things up. It would definately speed things up and give better results if I use the 50 micron setting (at the moment I'm doing them at 340 microns).
I've snaffled some of your ideas and made mine kind of Art Deco looking. I live about 10 minutes drive from the most densely built southern hemisphere art deco city so, although haven't studied the period, I have a fair idea about what to make them look like.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
I also just realised, the majority of the jigsaw type structure is unnecessary. I'm going to get rid of them. I might do as you said and look into casting things up. It would definately speed things up and give better results if I use the 50 micron setting (at the moment I'm doing them at 340 microns).
I've snaffled some of your ideas and made mine kind of Art Deco looking. I live about 10 minutes drive from the most densely built southern hemisphere art deco city so, although haven't studied the period, I have a fair idea about what to make them look like.

Then you have a big advantage to me. In my area are only old middleaged Woodhouses for refences in Real shape^^

Here a re my Printresults on 50micron. I guess the Changing in your plans will lead you to better results in the End.

PS: Should I awake the evidence of highjacking your thread with my pictures please let me know, don`t wont to do so. Just hope it maybe helps you a bit in your further progress.

Greetz Delta

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »
All Good. That looks great what you've done.