Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fistful of Lead Question  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
Fistful of Lead Question
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:32 AM »
Hi all,
I noticed in the latest version of FFOL Reloaded that there is no support for Muskets, surely I cant be the only one with wild west minis that are armed with muskets? Sooo my question is has anyone created any house rules for this?? if you have, would you like to share? or do most of you think it wouldn't be worth using muskets in the face of better weapons?

Second question (Prob better answered by baronVonJ) is I noticed that FFOL have released the Horse&Musket version of the rule set, how does this rule set treat muskets? what sort of range is given ? plus what are the reload mechanics for a musket, maybe I can use the FFOL:H&M musket treatment as a house rule for FFOL:R

All opinions appreciated.

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
Re: Fistful of Lead Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
No replies....hmmm  :? Ok so this is the house rule I came up with:
All based on the Springfield M1861 Civil War Musket Rifle, using the .58 minnie Ball

Rifled Musket     Short 10"    Long 20"

Must reload after every shot fired
Reloading takes one action
Cannot be fired twice in one turn (except where Specialty card allows)
Adds +1 to the wound roll at short
Ignores Partial cover at Short

Any opinions? i will post an AAR real soon testing this, see how we go.  :D

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
The action to reload after firing makes sense in order to make its firing rate relative to more modern (for the period) firearms. It could even be two actions to reload though that might kill it as a weapon in the game (though that could be said to fit in with the times).

Not sure about the +1 at close range though, unless Buck and Ball was being used?

The range is a difficult one too, but for game abstraction what about 9" short and 18" long, maintaining a decent range gap for the rifle?

This is purely intended to help the discussion, it's no criticism of what you've come up with.  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:03:30 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
I think the only change for muskets in FFOL Horse and Musket is to reload after each firing, which would be one action.
I wouldn't make any other changes.

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
The action to reload after firing makes sense in order to make its firing rate relative to more modern (for the period) firearms. It could even be two actions to reload though that might kill it as a weapon in the game (though that could be said to fit in with the times).

Not sure about the +1 at close range though, unless Buck and Ball was being used?

The range is a difficult one too, but for game abstraction what about 9" short and 18" long, maintaining a decent range gap for the rifle?

This is purely intended to help the discussion, it's no criticism of what you've come up with.  :)

Hi Elk,
Thanks for the response, Yeah a reload after each shot I thought was a good penalty for the use of this gun and a single action for the reload was done to balance the constant reloading otherwise as you state it may be rendered useless, which I dont believe was the case in the real world.

The +1 to wound was added because from my research the .58 minni ball was supposed to be a vicious round, causing massive internal damage along the trajectory of the rounds path, often exiting the body with a substantial exit wound and hitting anything directly behind the target, my first thoughts were +2 short, +1 long, this was a badass round, much deadlier than the round ball, even the Buck & ball was better than the ball (rnd), but was not very accurate even at 50yards.

The range side of things, I chose 10/20 mainly because the bow has the ranges you mention, would you put the two on par??? I wouldn't.

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
Hi Black Burt,
Well in FFOLH&M the musket stats are the same as the rifle stats in FFOL, I think the two weapons are different enough to warrant a distinction, was just wondering if anyone else had used any house rules.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »
Hi Emphatz,

Yeap, we've got a couple of house rules in use.

The cavalry troop we use are armed with carbines and we've given them a 9" short and 18" long ranges.

We also play that female characters cannot be targeted by rival gangs unless the female character opens fire first. It introduces a bit of game play.

Although not a house rule, if I'm playing a band of Bandits or Desperadoes I tend to send them in with all guns blazing ...

RMZ

Offline Flynn

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »
I use muskets in Fistful of Lead pretty regularly.  I have it similar but a little simpler than the rules you chose.  For rifled muskets, same range as a rifle but you have to reload after every shot.  On the advantage side, if they are military muskets which can mount a bayonet, then they get +1 in hand to hand.

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
Hi Ramirez,

I like your female characters house rules, it would encourage a bit of role playing, might borrow that idea  ;)
you send them in all guns blazing ?! how does that work out for you lol

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Hi Flynn,
Having done more research I am beginning to agree with you on the range side of things and I really like your bayonet idea.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
Sorry, it's volleyball season and been out of town. I don't check LAF on the weekends.
Muskets were kept out of the original Wild West rules to keep the weapons chart to a minimum. After all, this is a "Hollywood" set of rules and you don't see John Wayne carrying around a musket except in the Alamo. For that you need FfoL: Horse and Musket!
Thus, the Horse and Musket rules. You have to reload after every shot. That makes that "6" card even more important.
Definitely give a bonus to a bayonet (similar in H&M, which has a different Close Combat mechanic).
In H&M there is the idea of the Better Weapon. Bayonets get a bonus over those without.
I keep them the same range because it looks right. As a house rule, I keep carbines a shorter 8/16".
I would be careful about adding the bonus to damage. I know you want to make up for the disadvantage of having to load, but there was a reason muzzle loader were replaced by repeaters.
Other than that, you bought the rules and you are free to make house rules as your vision of the Old West sees fit.
-J

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
Hi BaronVonJ,
I was hoping you would eventually comment, always good to hear from the author, I own both versions of your rules FFOL and FFOLHM both rule sets sound like a lot of fun.

"Muskets were kept out of the original Wild West rules to keep the weapons chart to a minimum. After all, this is a "Hollywood" set of rules and you don't see John Wayne carrying around a musket except in the Alamo". - I laughed at this comment  lol

The main reason i wanted to include them was that I own some miniatures that carry Muskets, Buckskin clothed Scouts/ Mountain men types and its kinda grown from there, hehehe, most of my Wild West minis carry Carbines or Repeaters and a few carry Muskets, the others have either Cap and Ball revolvers or short barrel peacemakers.

I have taken all that you have said on board, thanks for commenting, I shall report back here once i get a AAR done (early March me thinks)  8)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Great.
I always suggest you play as is, at least once before you start experimenting. And I'm available to be contacted directly with questions, too.
-J

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
"Dook, that's another fine mess you've gotten me into!"

;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"