Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:39:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan) pt 2  (Read 3532 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan) pt 2
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan) pt 2

Gamed in 15mm, Victorian Steel rules, 18ft table

More photos in the gallery at http://www.victorian-steel.com/

image hosting site no sign up

In 1881, Mohammed Ahmed, a Sudanese Islamic prophet, had declared himself the "Mahdi" or "Guided One" and launched a desert revolt with the intent of removing all foreigners from the Sudan. By 1884 the Mahdi and his forces had laid siege to the largest foreign outpost in the Sudan, Khartoum. British Major General Charles "Chinese" Gordon had been given the task of evacuating the city but delayed too long and was trapped in the city.

free upload image

Initially, the British Government was reluctant to send troops to Gordon's aid, but under intense public pressure relented with the dispatch of British troops under the command of Wolseley. The Gordon Relief Expedition progressed very slowly and eventually Wolesley split his forces into separate "River" and "Desert" Columns in hopes that the land force might arrive at Khartoum sooner.

adult photo sharing

Unfortunately the Relief Expedition did not reach Khartoum until January 28, 1885, two days after a Mahdist attack and massacre that resulted in the death of Gordon.

free upload pictures

This new series by W. Britain will initially focus on two of the key battles, Tamai and Abu Klea, and will grow to include the various units involved in the campaign from both the river and desert columns.

image hosting 5mb

This battle was fought by the Desert Column of the Gordon Relief Expedition on its way to Khartoum. British troops included 4 regiments of camel troops (Guards, Heavy, Light and Mounted Infantry), the 19th Hussars,Royal Artillery, Royal Marines, Naval Brigade, and the Sussex Regiment. They were attacked by an enemy force of 12,000 including the Beja warriors of the Hadendoa tribe.

screen shot windows

The British defensive square included a new Gardiner gun manned by the Naval Brigade that jammed during the battle. A massive rush by the Mahdist warriors ensued and broke the square but intense fire from troops in the rear drove them out and into a retreat from the field. Rudyard Kipling commemorated the battle in his poem entitled "Fuzzy-Wuzzy", the nickname given to the Hadendoa tribesmen by the British soldiers because of the appearance of their hair.

Scenery and miniatures Grimsby wargames club.

The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Battle of Abu Klea (Sudan) pt 2
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
Good looking game.

I'm still trying to get my forces together for Victorian Steel.  :'(

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
More loveliness! So panoramic, too. :)

Excellent Irish Lancers. :)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »
Thanks for comments, where in the NW are you from Fred ?

Offline zuluwar

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:15 PM »
excellent !!!! :-* :-*
haut les têtes messieurs la mitraille n'est pas de la merde !!!!

bataille du eylau (colonel lepic)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Excellent work! I don't game in 15mm, but when I see spreads like yours it's easy to understand the appeal. There is a real sense of far horizons with the smaller guys, with the possibility of sweeping manoeuvres, that is hard to replicate in the larger scales.

Out of curiosity, what figures do you use for Mahdists? It would be great to see some close-ups of them as well. Thank you for the inspiration!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:29:57 PM »
Want..... to..... play!!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline elmitxel

• Student
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »

Very, very nice.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline zuluwar

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
perhaps in the futur with my madhist army 2000 fanatics  on the table !!!!! ;D ;D

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
Pretty sure the Madist are all Peter Lang miniatures, will double check though, but yes i agree with 15mm on such a large table it does give that feel of being more aware of the flanks.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
Thanks for comments, where in the NW are you from Fred ?

In Southport now, we have a moderated sized group of gamers, 10mm Fantasy is our staple, but like most we have more interests than time to play.

I grew up in North Lincolnshire (25+ years ago), and used to visit the wargames shop in Grimsby when I could.

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
In Southport now, we have a moderated sized group of gamers, 10mm Fantasy is our staple, but like most we have more interests than time to play.

I grew up in North Lincolnshire (25+ years ago), and used to visit the wargames shop in Grimsby when I could.

I'm a manc myself, born and bred, now live in Grimsby, reason i asked because if you were a little closer to Manchester i could of arranged for a pickup for you for a Victorian Steel game in July, i think we are doing Africa Askris v Germans, jungle game, should be fun.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »
Peter Laing! Classic stuff.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
I'm a manc myself, born and bred, now live in Grimsby, reason i asked because if you were a little closer to Manchester i could of arranged for a pickup for you for a Victorian Steel game in July, i think we are doing Africa Askris v Germans, jungle game, should be fun.

email sent

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
Great pics again - just read Mike Snooks chapters on Abu Klea in BTRofE this morning and was very taken by the perilous situation the Desert Column ended up in at Abu Klea.

Does the general consensus here agree with his discussion of the fault for the breaking of the square lie with Burnaby ?  or with the deployment of skirmishers ?

I was also impressed with the his due credit given to the Mahdist Commanders in luring the Column into a situation which then very nearly lead to a Mahdist victory.