Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Otterburn Era Scots; Another Ubiquitous Lion Rampant Force... UPDATED 7/09/21  (Read 18188 times)

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
As promised (threatened?) I've made a start on a village for the lads to raid, using the ever-polarising MDF pre-paints, tarted up a bit. behold, the village of Dinsdale, small village in the East Marches, destined to be fought over repeatedly by various 28mm pewter factions. First appears in the Chronicle of Monte Paifon, a monk recording the Harrying of the North, where the village was terrorised by spear-carrying Normans (Spiny Normans, if you will) on the orders of William I.

Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that there actually is a village in County Durham called Dinsdale...

The village itself will largely consist of the pre-painted 4Ground buildings, tarted up with pretty bases and some small detailing additions, combined with the odd plastic or resin piece and some scratchbuilt odds 'n' ends.

First two houses done...

Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline nikko

• Scientist
    • les figurines du Nikko
Hello,

Excellent project !!!  :-*

nikko

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
Thanks Nikko!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Gorgeous work!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
*PPPPPHHHHHHHWWWWWWWFFFFFFTTTT- blows dust and husks of long-dead spiders off thread*

Yeah. So. This project. While it has been largely neglected during my absence from the forums, I have actually progressed it a bit. Albeit slowly.

Presenting Sir John Swinton of Swinton.

The absolute legend that was. Sir John appears to be one of those charmed nutters that history occasionally throws up. Campaigned with John of Gaunt in France, where he was able to a) charge a double fee and free transport for himself, his horses and men, b) stipulate he was not required to fight against his countrymen and c) demand Gaunt was to replace any of his horses that were lost or taken. In return, he was to have one-third share in the ransom of Swinton’s future prisoners and in his other "profits of war".

Clearly not a man to be trifled with, he went back to Scotland after Alice Perrers stole his late wife's jewellery, and resumed normal service of being an unholy hurt-train at Otterburn. Went down fighting at Humbleton in 1402, and his son (also John) is one is those with a claim to the killing of Clarence at Bauge.

The image was taken for a FB group wherein discussion of the heraldry was the main point, so please excuse the fact I've cropped out a bit of his weapon. Fnaaar.