Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689705
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 733
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: end of empire  (Read 4283 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
end of empire
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
Today I checked the website of "end of Empire". It has some updates.
I think it is worth seeing it again:

http://www.spiritofthegame.org.uk/endofempire/selwg06news.htm
argsilverson

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: end of empire
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »
excellent website, the scenery section is bloomin' marvellous :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:33:17 AM »
very nice! thanks
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »
Thes guys have laid on some marvellous games at the shows here inthe UK. Very inspiring stuff and the games are always fun to be involved in. There is always a big gathering aorund their table.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »
Oooooh.
Don't!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:03:52 PM »
I've seen a couple of their games at Salute. The whole tables were covered with buildings, all of which had interiors.

I particularly like their use of illuminated street lamps on terain sections that can hide batteries.

The music hall/theatre that featured in one game was my favourite - the back wall could be removed to show the complete stage and interior. Marvellous!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:23:04 PM »
I agree with Bullshott regards their buildings. They inspired me to get my music hall made.
Thanks to them I am now looking for Highlanders to use as her Majesty Queen Victoria's(Guad Bless 'Er) personal bodyguards to accompany my John Brown figure.
I have considered the Front rank Jacobites in shirts, kilts bonnets and swords...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:03:49 PM »
I agree with Bullshott regards their buildings. They inspired me to get my music hall made.
Thanks to them I am now looking for Highlanders to use as her Majesty Queen Victoria's(Guad Bless 'Er) personal bodyguards to accompany my John Brown figure.
I have considered the Front rank Jacobites in shirts, kilts bonnets and swords...

Surely a man of your calibre could convert some standard Victorian/Western types by filing their trousers and hats down and adding kilts and bonnets? I don't think Her Majesty [Gaud Bless 'Er] would appreciate being spattered with blood from broadsword-armed bodyguards, after all, so firearms may be for the best  lol

That mad twin-pistol-armed chap you use as John Brown should be inspiration enough. You could also do a gamekeeper with sniper rifle in a "Ghillie suit", just in case  ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 08:44:34 AM »

Surely a man of your calibre could convert some standard Victorian/Western types by filing their trousers and hats down and adding kilts and bonnets? I don't think Her Majesty [Gaud Bless 'Er] would appreciate being spattered with blood from broadsword-armed bodyguards, after all, so firearms may be for the best  lol

That mad twin-pistol-armed chap you use as John Brown should be inspiration enough. You could also do a gamekeeper with sniper rifle in a "Ghillie suit", just in case  ;)

Thanks Gluteus, I like the idea of a markman gamekeeper Ghillie...
I was trying to keep it simple by using existing figures. I like the idea of broadswords whirling, bearded Highland types etc.Besides a firearm is the weapon of choice of an english gentleman, not that of a big bearded Yin...
 its an image that us southern types have of the Scots...pure romance of course, but fun none the less...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:15 AM »

Thanks Gluteus, I like the idea of a markman gamekeeper Ghillie...
I was trying to keep it simple by using existing figures. I like the idea of broadswords whirling, bearded Highland types etc.Besides a firearm is the weapon of choice of an english gentleman, not that of a big bearded Yin...
 its an image that us southern types have of the Scots...pure romance of course, but fun none the less...

That's fine, so long as they look like this:

See You Jimmy! lol

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »

Yes indeed. Being far away I cannot be in any wargaming show in UK, but I managed a couple of years ago to be at SELWG. Really I was impressed by their table.

Scotsmen: In fact I had the same idea. I am trying to find some Highlanders for this purpose. They have used Essex Miniatures. What will be your suggestion, Front Rank? Never seen them. Any link?
Is there any Highland figure in their ranges with pistol?

[I have the csrusader mini with 2 pistols]

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:23:39 AM »

That's fine, so long as they look like this:

See You Jimmy! lol

Thats scary. As this is my exact point of reference for them.. even down to the colour of the hair...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »

Scotsmen: In fact I had the same idea. I am trying to find some Highlanders for this purpose. They have used Essex Miniatures. What will be your suggestion, Front Rank? Never seen them. Any link?

Yes they used the Essex figures which I was initially not sure about but quite like them. For my taste I would add some green stuff socks and do something with ther shoes but they should be ok.

Front Rank are better sculpts.

http://www.frontrank.com/3_1_lev3_Jacobite_Rebellion_1745.asp

I like the more plain dress of the Essex figures. Difficult decision. I posted a thread over on the swashbuckling board. There were some more suggestions, some helpful, some not.. ;)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »

Yes they used the Essex figures which I was initially not sure about but quite like them. For my taste I would add some green stuff socks and do something with ther shoes but they should be ok.

Front Rank are better sculpts.

http://www.frontrank.com/3_1_lev3_Jacobite_Rebellion_1745.asp

I like the more plain dress of the Essex figures. Difficult decision. I posted a thread over on the swashbuckling board. There were some more suggestions, some helpful, some not.. ;)

1.- thanks
2.- I saw the thread in swashbuckling board. I posted the link to "the little lead soldiers" http://www.littleleadsoldiers.com/ .
they are too modern, I suppose.
3.- do scarlet and gold has any scotsman in their ceremonial range?
4.- as for VSF Infantry I would go for Renegade or GWM Lowlanders, with clengarrys (Is it correct spelling?)
5.- furthermore I would think that we need some scots figures with pistols. [to go alongwith the sword types]

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »
I show the Front Rank, look nice sculpts. How they compare with the other usual ranges?

I think the most suitable are: JA1, 3,4,9,13,23,24 & 26.
What you think?