Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Random general terrain / second tank trap added  (Read 3515 times)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Random general terrain / second tank trap added
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Hi,

few pics of couple of small terrain pieces I just finished.

I have had the broken column piece for years, it's a cheap flea market find. Base colour Vallejo Desert Yellow, followed with drybrushing Iraqi Sand first and then Ivory (both from Vallejo). I think I need to block few of those places with more flock where the earth is showing. Internet chocolate cookie for those who know/guess where the lion altar piece is from :)

This one was inspired by a real thing, seen in walks with missus. One early 20th century landowner had made a similar type of "walled" spring on his land. I had one of those GW trees left so it found its resting place on this terrain piece as well. I'm not happy with how the Vallejo water effects turned out to be, but the consistency of the stuff was quite clumpy... maybe it was out-of-date or something  ??? Should have diluted it with water to get it more gel-like consistency perhaps?

Next piece waiting to be finished is a small ruined stone-walled hut, using the Warlord Games' ruined hamlet pieces.

Cheers for looking.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:03:26 PM by pocoloco »

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Random general terrain
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »
Nice! One can ever have enough generic, "incidental" terrain pieces. Keep them coming!

Internet chocolate cookie for those who know/guess where the lion altar piece is from :)

It looks strangely familiar. Is it a plastic domino? I'm suddenly having a childhood flashback of having owned a set of dominoes with that exact background bas-relief (it may well have been Finnish, too), but my mind may just be playing tricks.

I'm not happy with how the Vallejo water effects turned out to be, but the consistency of the stuff was quite clumpy... maybe it was out-of-date or something  ??? Should have diluted it with water to get it more gel-like consistency perhaps?

From what I've been given to understand (from the TerrainTutor Youtube videos, which I like to play in the background while multitasking), the Vallejo water effects products have a bad reputation with veteran terrain builders. There are supposed to be much better alternatives out there, but this is just second-hand information.

I don't think diluting it with water would have been a good idea. It would then (presumably) have shrunk as the water evaporated, making for that effect where it "clings" to the sides and dips into a recess in the centre.

Maybe some dead leaves and other plant matter floating on the surface could cover the lumps? Not that I can see much of a lumpy effect from the pictures, mind.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »
Great scenery! And I would say it's a domino for sure!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Two nice pieces there - and a 3rd vote for a domino  lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
Thank you gents :)

It seems I'm running out of internet chocolate cookies!  :D All three are indeed correct, it's an oldish Disney domino piece. A full set, another second hand market find, so I still have plenty of those left. I have been thinking of some wall or raised platform in which these lion pieces would form the groundwork.

Hope to finish the third terrain piece by tomorrow evening.

edit: thanks for the comments and ideas Rhoderic. I guess I will have to get a new water effect stuff by some other manufacturer to try. I thought about the leaves on the water but since the tree looks quite dead I didn't end up putting any. Need to keep that in mind for other water effect terrain though, many thanks for the suggestion :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:28:01 PM by pocoloco »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:13:42 AM »
Nice scenario bits Antti. :-* :-*
More please.

If we pay atention to some bits we have at home we end up with lots of usefull stuff for scenery.
Also old toys transformed, make wonderfull scenario.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
Cheers Rui, more to come soonish :)

Old toys and trinkets are always good source for interesting scenery bits :D

I try to have my terrain pieces within three "climate" types: arid/desert, "normal" and winter, so hopefully in the end (if there ever is an end) I will have enough general terrain pieces usable for several settings and eras. One big question is how to base trees... individually or in small groups? Should I make one bigger forest on one base or several bases and form woods/forests by clumping those bases together?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
Very nice mate  :)

As to trees, if you're going to base them in groups don't do more than three/four tops and have plenty of singles to fill in gaps  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
You can even use some old cds or the plastic protections from their boxes and base groups of 2 or 3 like James say.
Movable terrain and you can add or remove sets of trees as the scenario dictates.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
I have some old CDs that I have been storing just for the basing purposes :)

Will need to check how some of you have based your trees and shamelessly borrow ideas ;)

Here's couple of new additions. I hate the ruins, I just couldn't get the colours right and as can be seen, it's quite a waste now, even some moldlines showing *sigh* I let it be for now though, may revisit it at some point.

And the second piece is inspired by DonVoss, after seeing his version of this 1/76 Zvezda siege gun I had to get one as well. Can't remember if I have posted earlier version of this here before but here's the latest version with lots of added flock. It's not that random nor general terrain piece but good for objective piece for eg. LR... if I ever get any forces ready for it, that is :)

Cheers for looking once again.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Random general terrain / two pieces added
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
NICE! Love that siege gun.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Indeed, nice siege gun.
And the ruins arent bad at all.
Keep it coming Antti.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
Thank you FF and Rui, I do like the gun as well :)

Here's another small addition, this time in the form of small tank trap, there are two, slightly bigger versions underway and one razor wire obstacle as well. Besides those, couple of other, not so military oriented pieces are in wip stage too.

Still quite undecided regarding how to base trees  o_o

Cheers for looking

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: Random general terrain / tank trap added
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »
Those are gorgeous.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: Random general terrain / tank trap added
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
why not rubbing the molding lines away with some sandpaper at some places? Later brush over again. At other places cover them with a bit moss or gras. That would give them an edge more, cause they are already good, me thinks.

and the stuff shown so far is quite cool, I like it.
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.