Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cutting a base insert. How?  (Read 5980 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Cutting a base insert. How?
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:21 PM »
I have some plasticard which I want to use as inserts on some Warmachine bases....

The larger bases aren't a problem, I have a circle cutter which I can cut the inserts with. Took a few practice runs to get them right, but they are now fine. The problem is the interior circle of the 30mm bases. My circle cutter doesn't go small enough for them and I went to all the local craft stores today to check. It seems to be a standard size, none of them went smaller than an inch.

I tried cutting out the centre of a base to use the exterior circle as a template but the resulting cuts look really messy.

Any ideas? Has anyone done it? If so how?

Thanks
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
Re: Cutting a base insert. How?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »

Why not use 30mm washers? You could put adhesive tape over the hole in the middle.
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
Sorry, should have been more precise. I have some textured plasticard which I want to use as base inserts.

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
In that case, I would not bother about cutting an exact shape. By googling around, I have found a circle-cutter that can be scaled down to 18mm, but it is ridiculously priced at € 37,99.

http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/products_id/6428515

I don't know if this would be of any help, but I would use the textured plasticard to make a press-mold out of greenstuff or something similar instead.
Simply press the putty on the pasticard, let it cure and peel it off. It might be wise to use some vaseline or something similar as a separating agent.
Use that cured piece as a stamp on bases that You have filled up with freshly mixed putty.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »
I know that if you sharpen the edges of a bit of copper pipe, then glue a piece of wood over the other end, you can make a handy twisting, cutting tool. It cuts a neat whole in thick(ish) card. I've never done anything with plasticard, too be honest. But I guess the theory would be the same.

It also gives you a chance to play with a dremmel. Always fun  :D
He comes, he comes, Zalgo!

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »
Why not try to find a suitable stencil circle rulerl like this: http://www.paperstone.co.uk/prod_32548_1-4-12_Rotring-Stencil-CirclesTemplate-Robust-1-36mm-Clear-Yellow-tinted-Ref-S0221691.aspx.

Granted, it's not cheap but can be quite handy. I got one with both circles, squares and triangles.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
I use a compass cutter.  Not sure how small it will go down to but I have used it for 25mm and 20mm bases.  I have used it for inserts on 30mm bases such as your example. 

20mm Example 

25mm Example

Just google "Compass Cutter" or try Ebay - where I bought mine.  LINK

To get the exact measurement each time I use some paper and cut a template, adjusting until exact.  Once the template fits the base I want perfectly, I then cut the plasticard. 

Compass cutters are very cheap to buy.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
You can also get various sized circle cutters for hand drilling machines (are they called that?).

They are meant for cutting wood but should not have difficulty cutting plasticard.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:51:09 PM »
I use a compass cutter.  Not sure how small it will go down to but I have used it for 25mm and 20mm bases.  I have used it for inserts on 30mm bases such as your example. 
Compass cutters are very cheap to buy.

Great link! I have been wondering how to make large circular bases for monsters etc.

One of these should solve the problem.

Thanks very much  :D

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:32:13 PM »
I use a template in the form of a £1.00 coin.
The coin itself is a bit of a "sloppy" fit, but once you've drawn around it and cut outside the line it fits perfectly.
You can pick them up for about £1.00. ;)
Cheers
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
Thanks Orctrader, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

PM, you're right, a £1 coin fits pretty well (although I did have to borrow one from my wife to find out). What do you use to cut them out?

Argonor: I considered those but the closest size is a 25mm cutter which is too small. The next size up is a 28mm one which is too big. Very annoying, and also rather expensive.

Verderer: Part of my training was as a technical drawer and I even have some Rotring circle templates. That never actually occured to me, Doh! I haven't used them for a while. It would again raise the problem of cutting them out effectively though. I've tried cutting circles out with a knife before and they always end up messy.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Thanks Orctrader, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

PM, you're right, a £1 coin fits pretty well (although I did have to borrow one from my wife to find out). What do you use to cut them out?

Argonor: I considered those but the closest size is a 25mm cutter which is too small. The next size up is a 28mm one which is too big. Very annoying, and also rather expensive.

Verderer: Part of my training was as a technical drawer and I even have some Rotring circle templates. That never actually occured to me, Doh! I haven't used them for a while. It would again raise the problem of cutting them out effectively though. I've tried cutting circles out with a knife before and they always end up messy.

Before realising the increase value of our currency (DoH!) I used to put the plasti-card on top and press round the edges to form a stress colour line, (most cobbles and ground textured card's tan so you can see the whitish ring that is left.

Cheers
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
One of two ways pop into my void space called my mind.

Like Orctrader mentioned. If you live in the US, hit a Joann's, AC Moore or a Michael's and look in the back with the cutters. They carry the Olfa brand compass cutters. Always remember the coupons.
http://www.acmoore.com/p-25492-compass-cutter-.aspx
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3548&PRODID=prd17154
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3266&PRODID=prd12599
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0160
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0150

Second, would be to take one of each base you have, shown above, and then cut the middle out. Flip it over and trace a circle on your textured plasticard and then use a knife and carefully cut it out and insert onto your base you wish to use. Instant stenciel. :-)

Grimm

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
I got this hole cutter from hobycraft. Good for thin card and plastic card.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
That's very similar to the one I just ordered off ebay. I went through Hobbycraft yesterday looking for something along those lines but found nothing. What's the betting next time I go in I find several types straight away?