Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: this very ground...or what?  (Read 5627 times)

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
this very ground...or what?
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
Hi two of my current projects are nearing a end so im looking at FIW for my next using conquest figures, i bought this very ground rule set which after reading looks ok but what others are there or are these the ones. Im looking at large scale skirmish

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: this very ground...or what?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »
Brother Against Brother is large scale skirmish using 10 figure units, you can play from 20 - 30 per side up to 100 -150 easily per side.
 Whilst they are primarily an ACW set, it has a supplement included for use in the earlier period and is specific with rules for Woodlands indians.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »
Maybe Rattrap's "Gloire" could be a starting point. You can play with a minimum of one figure per side, even solo games are possible. With the (experimental) squad rules you could easily beef it up to 15 models per side (never gone beyond myself). Latest supplement is "Among the Warparties" which concentrates on the American theatre from 16th to 19th century.
Another possibility is "Triumph & Tragedy" which deals with skirmishing units of 5+ models. Although, you'll have to create your own stats for the FIW as the rules are 'officially' for late 19th/early 20th century warfare. But I wouldn't refrain...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
Brother Against Brother is large scale skirmish using 10 figure units, you can play from 20 - 30 per side up to 100 -150 easily per side.
 Whilst they are primarily an ACW set, it has a supplement included for use in the earlier period and is specific with rules for Woodlands indians.

Excellent suggestion!

As well as providing great ACW games, they also work well for 18thC and Napoleonic. We have played several "Sharpe" type Peninsular games using a couple of hundred figures in total, with no problems and lots of fun  :)

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
brother v brother i do have a copy stored away some where from when we did a acw skirmish campaign i do remember the add ons  in the back for this period now youve reminded me ,i will dig them out tonite.if i remember right we easily ran very large games with no bother,thanks.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »
Yep, they can handle very large numbers of units. We use them for Texas War of Independence/Alamo period.

I am intrigued by "This Very Ground" Any observations about them yet?
Why are looking for an alternative set, is there something not right about them?

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »
no they look good but noticed there wasnt much said about them on here so wondered if you guys used something else,not played this very ground  yet but ive just got out my copy  of brother v brother and will give both a try.i am  working away this next week when i get back i will base up some figures and give them both a test run and post the results.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
I like TVG very much, particularly how they handle the firing system. Sharpe practice would be another contender in my book. They have all of the rules included to handle Indians. I have only played one game of SP so far and that was Napoleonic, but it was a heck of a lot of fun. It seemed to blend the character-driven aspects of Gloire with the larger figure count of TVG very nicely.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
Nothing bad about TVG from here. Smooth gameplay and lots of period style (formations, different firing modi and the like). There's also a Yahoo group by Iron Ivan Games with some additional materials - rules for  boats, cavalry and heavy guns.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
Hi Mate
We have tried every set and variant of and we have found that  " With Mcduff to the Frontier" is the best by far.
At first galance at the rules they may seem overly simplistic....wrong.
The very best rules are not the FOG / Valmey to Waterloo type rules with dozens of tables.
If you want a very organised chess like DB whatever game where you have complete control over every single figure look else where.
This set has numerous subtle ,elegant and simple mechanisms,which give it a very playable and realistic game, and therefore the best job of recreating the perid without going over board with detail.
Highly reccommended.
Cheers

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:59 AM »
thanks agian for all the feed back on tvg and bab gamed with them both yesterday and both gave very good but different games both were enjoyable and easy to use but we decided on tvg these gave a more realistic game and are a bit more flexible in unit size and formations which is better for the campaign and scenarios we are going to play,once again thanks to you all.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
Be sure to join the Iron Ivan Yahoo group. There are some additional (optional) rules in the files in case you want to include cavalry, artillery, boats, and fortifications. The authors respond to rules queries pretty quickly also.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »
For simple and large skirmish, tens of figures per sides, try also The Sword in The Forest, F&IW adaption from TSATF.
quite simple and enjoyable.
Piero

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »
If I ever get mine painted and Conquest or Eureka bring out French regulars and British then I am planning on using Sharpe Practice

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 02:38:03 PM »
aaron also reccommended sharpe practice so will have a look at them ,im using conquest and am hoping they bring the regular troops out but it seems to have gone quiet on the conquest site .