Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm WWII Infantry recommendation needed  (Read 4081 times)

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
15mm WWII Infantry recommendation needed
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
Almost a Lead Adventure, or at least I hope it will be soon! I've started playing CrossFire in 15mm and want to assemble my own chaps.  I know a fair bit about 15mm sci-fi, but not about WWII figs.

Can anyone recommend me a 15mm WWII manufacturer that has decent sculpts? Even if they don't have complete ranges, I'd be interested.  I know about Peter Pig, already, but that is about it!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 15mm WWII Infantry recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:48:01 PM »
Peter Pig as you mentioned.
Battlefront for the Falmes of War line
Old Glory has a nice range as well. Usually 50 figs for $13 or some such.
Eureka as well makes some nice 15mm

If, i have to ever go past these companies then there is something wrong.

What natinality are you looking for to do and what time period and place of operation?  :-)

Grimm

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
try also skytrex! they have bags of 50 infantry minis for an afordable price!

in my 15mm armies I mix between manufacturers as most as I can! even if there are some smaller or bigger tanks in my collection, I really don't mind!
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »
try also skytrex! they have bags of 50 infantry minis for an afordable price!
Same thing as the Old Glory stuff actually. :-)

Grimm

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
What natinality are you looking for to do and what time period and place of operation?  :-)

Oops.  I really should have included nationality and period in my first post!

I'm starting with the late war period, first with some British, then get some Germans, US, French and Italians. Then I might get some 14th Army and some Japanese.

Thanks for the suggestions, chaps.  I'd seen the 50 minis for £9 from Skytrex, but I wasn't sure of the quality, but if you chaps think they're OK, I might give those a go - they're not that much, after all!

I'd not thought of Eureka (although I should have!), so I shall go and look on their website right now!

Thanks again!

Keeper.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
Peter Pig is without a doubt my favourite brand for 15mm figures, but I have to admit that the Eureka figures are simply superb.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »
Well, the British arrived yesterday from Peter Pig, and are well underway on the painting table :)  But I think I shall definately give Eureka a go when I expand into the Pacific theatre!

My biggest problem now is how to broach the subject of Weird War II, since I've got some nice 15mm.co.uk Grey aliens that I can easily sabot-base onto the right size for the rules we are playing! :D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »
Just my two cents... If anyone have the same question regarding 15mm WWII...

I have two armies for WWII in 15mm, one British and one half German and Hungarian…

I really like the Peter Pig range. They are clean, crisp figures without a lot of flash. I also liked the FoW range that Battlefront do some time ago but since they change their sculpt, especially on the Americans, I find them far less interesting… and judging from post on their own forum, I think I’m not the only one! So, if I were to do an other WWII army in 15mm, I will go with vehicles from Battlefront’s FoW, infantry from Peter Pig and odds and ends by Skytrex/Old Glory.  ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
Just my two cents... If anyone have the same question regarding 15mm WWII...

I have two armies for WWII in 15mm, one British and one half German and Hungarian…

I really like the Peter Pig range. They are clean, crisp figures without a lot of flash. I also liked the FoW range that Battlefront do some time ago but since they change their sculpt, especially on the Americans, I find them far less interesting… and judging from post on their own forum, I think I’m not the only one! So, if I were to do an other WWII army in 15mm, I will go with vehicles from Battlefront’s FoW, infantry from Peter Pig and odds and ends by Skytrex/Old Glory.  ;)

Exactly the same as me Calimero!

Quality Castings also have some vehicles not(yet) covered by Battlefront or Skytrex.
I agree that the latest Battlefront figures are below par.

Offline pbeccas

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »
I just got some packs of the resulpted 8th Army from Peter Pig.  They are gems. 

Keeper, I just dug Crossfire out of the shed so I have been painting a heap of Command figures as singles.  I played in an island invasion game about a week ago, Aussies v Japanese.  Good fun once the Aussies managed to take the beach.

Also highly recommend Eureka as Number 1 cab off the rank for 15mm pacific.
There will be no Dunkirk here. If we have to get out we will fight our way out. There will be no surrender and no retreat"
Australian General Les Morshead. Hero of Tobruk.

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
Thanks again for all the advice, chaps :)  Greatly appreciated!

My first platoon of British Infantry is nearly complete now - just got to finish their weapons; pick out their badges; and add a little bit of detail on the wireless sets: then I'm all done.  I'll post pics, if people are interested?

@pbeccas: What basing system are you using?  We're using 30x30mm bases with three figs for a squad (2 squad for HMGs, mortars, etc.), and 15x30mm bases with 1 fig for PCs and FOs.

I shall definately be getting some Eureka figs when I get into the Pacific, so to speak!

Offline pbeccas

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »
Keeper.  My 15mm figs are based up for Battlefront WWII.  So infantry bases are roughly 20mm x 28mm.  Two figures per base.  Weapons teams are on slightly larger bases.  I have put the single Crossfire command figures on round 20mm bases.  I am not going to re base because I like Battlefront WW2 way too much because they allow me to play historical scenarios.