Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector and Sergeant  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector and Sergeant
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
Last week I finished my first non-military Victorian models. Two figures from Northstar's wonderful Scotland Yard set for In her Majesty's Name. Actually I wasn't sure whether to post those pictures here or in the IHMN childboard but since I don't have any plans to play IHMN yet this general Victorian board should be the right choice.
The first one displays a Victorian Detective Inspector. The wonderful miniature belongs to Northstar's range and as far as I know it's sculpted by Mike Owen and he performed a wonderful job with it. The details of the suit and the facial expression are worked out perfectly and it was on extraordinary pleasure to paint him. As usual I employed Vallejo Model Colors and decided to give him a bluish grey suit and a dark grey nearly black overcoat. Actually I wanted to paint a checked pattern as well but my first tries on his left looked disappointing so I decided to leave it plain grey.
The second miniatures is a Detective Sergeant which comes from Northstar's Scotland Yard company for In her Majesty's Name as well. For him I chose a dark grey suit. First I went for Dark Grey -> Neutral Grey -> Light Grey which turned to light for my taste. Thus I gave it a wash with Vallejo Black Wash to darken it. Although I like the inspector's suit better I'm rather satisfied with the result. To set a colour difference I painted his overcoat dark brown rather than grey or black.

For the bases I used a mixture of sand and gravel. I wanted the peelers to fit more onto London's streets than into the countryside so I painted it with different shades of grey. But only three instead of fifty. Anyway I'm not completely happy with its look since it makes the overall appearance of the figures too grey but I didn't have a better idea so far.

Obviously the second season of Ripper Street inspired me for this work. The resemblance to DI Reid and DS Drake is vividly caught by the sculptor and actually that was the very reason for me to work with those figures.
Although I have no plans how to use them it was great fun to paint those wonderful figures. Especially the faces are excellently worked out and were rather easy to paint. Honestly I enjoyed it enough to bring myself to paint all the figures from the set. Actually I didn't like those bobbies with the electric truncheons but most probably I'll not be able to withstand those wonderful sculpts.

Cheers
Stefan
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline CPBelt

• Bookworm
    • League of Ordinary Gamers Blog
Re: Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector and Sergeant
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
Nice paint work.

I like the bases. I also went with grey for my Victorian baees, but a bit darker. I like yours though. They will look good when you get more figures on the table.

What colors did you use for the bases?

Home of fantasy, ancient, and dark age paper armies for WM & other games.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »
Nicely done. ;D

Fine to leave them where they are, just as good to be seen here. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
***delete***
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:23:57 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
Many thanks, fellows. I'm glad to hear that you like them.
 :)

What colors did you use for the bases?
Vallejo Model Colors - "Dark Grey" -> "Medium Grey" -> "Light Grey"
First layer covering then dry brushing with the lighter tones.

For the rim of the bases: Vallejo Model Colors "German Grey"