Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Fallschirmjager MG 34's and Support  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Perry Fallschirmjager MG 34's and Support
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
Interesting point. I have a lot of Perry Foundry and Perry Miniatures Perry, and in my personal view the Foundry versions are better in quality though I have no idea if that is down to sculpting or casting. I don't have any of the Perrys' new WWII stuff so I don't know how it is in terms of size...

I see your point, everyone has their own perspective. The Perry sculpts are more dynamic IMHo than the stuff that they did for Foundry.

On their Sudan range some of the casting quality is iffy in terms of detail like faces... and on a lot of them it seems like they got to the feet and just couldn't quite be bothered finishing the model and it ends up with tiny detail-less lumps instead of feet in boots...

It being one of my main areas of interest I do know what you mean. The models need re-moulding. I just wonder how long the moulds actually last given the volume that Perry Miniatures sell worldwide?

Darrell.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
How do you mean unfinished Juan?

Darrell.

Yes, Darrell, unfinished, not complete.
I am painting a full platoon of Italian infantry in this moment and I dislike a lot the figures. They have very bad faces, very bad weapons, very bad finished trousers and coats, unfinished webbing... I think Perry Miniatures is going too fast with their metal figures and they have lost the quality of their Foundry models. And this is not a problem of a worn out mould, but of the sculptor, IMHO.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »
I actually prefer the prostrate figures: one because that's the main way the weapons were actually used, and two because it makes it much easier to spot the machine gun in a crowd of tightly clustered figures. I do agree that they can be tough to wedge into terrain and fit into tight spaces however. Each to his own I suppose and they've been nice enough to provide both options  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
I am painting a full platoon of Italian infantry in this moment and I dislike a lot the figures. They have very bad faces, very bad weapons, very bad finished trousers and coats, unfinished webbing... I think Perry Miniatures is going too fast with their metal figures and they have lost the quality of their Foundry models. And this is not a problem of a worn out mould, but of the sculptor, IMHO.

Fair enough. I'm not so sure that I agree but there you go- that's wargamers for you  lol

Just out of interest, do these look unfinished to you?:

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
I actually prefer the prostrate figures: one because that's the main way the weapons were actually used, and two because it makes it much easier to spot the machine gun in a crowd of tightly clustered figures. I do agree that they can be tough to wedge into terrain and fit into tight spaces however. Each to his own I suppose and they've been nice enough to provide both options  :)

Oh yes, each to their own  :). Their pack mix, with one pair each of prone, kneeling and standing, is a reasonable compromise.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
Darrell, the painting work is wonderful. I think Rafa "Archiduque" and you are able to paint these figures in the way they need to be painted.

I have been a fan of the Perry Twins since their time in Foundry, having enjoyed a lot of their ranges, and I like the way in which they build, as Perry Miniatures, their different ranges/periods of figures, with a lot of options and packs for everything you need. For that reason I am buying their WWII figures, because no one have a so complete catalogue. But I´m unable to understand why they have not the quality level of Empress Miniatures, by example. Of course, this is only my personal opinion.

Coming back to the subject, I´m very happy with these Fallschirmjagers, and I expect there will be some Greek infantry in the pipeline... Creta would be a very interesting gaming project.

Cheers!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »

I agree with you Juan with your observations. I have quite a few WW2 Italians bought from the Perries. Some of the Italians I'm working on at the moment especially in steel helmet do have unfinished touches. The greenstuff has not be cleaned away or has not been smoothed or completed detail prior to moulding. I was wondering if it was me right from the outset with cleaning, undercoating and painting. Looking at the bare metal I can see now more clearly. I was not paying attention to the miniature from the start.

Besides these small minor irritations I still love the miniatures and converting them and would not look elsewhere for options. Michael designs lovely miniatures that have plenty of charm. I'll always remain a supporter of Perries and their miniature range.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)