Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689836
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 38465 times)

Scrubber

Re: The escalating forces of Marshal Frederick du Pied Douteux.....
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Very nice, but your just putting off doing the infantry. Need to mix the things you don’t like painting with those you do. :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »
Hmmmm.  By my thinking...I’m painting the HARDEST pieces first...then when I’ve finished them...I will look on them and think “ah what a shame I’ve put in all that effort if I don’t paint a few regiments of infantry and therefore shame myself into it!  That’s the theory anyway!

Scrubber

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
At least your doing something. I’ve lost the will to wargame.
Lots going to eBay soon.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
Chin up fella and don’t sell the Austrians!

Anyway, I just realised having stuck all the red fringed horse to their bases, I would struggle to repaint the pink fringes on all bar six.

So, I will paint in batches of six, and order another box of dragoons.  That will mean I’ve half jumped into my third regiment of dragoon, the red faced 4e.  I will paint this 6 pink ones first along with my Marshal and a suitable galloping ADC who will be used to represent Command Bonuses conferred by direct intervention from my Marshal to any one Brigade commander per turn.  Saves me moving the Marshal about...especially with his bad foot!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:27:09 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
My flags haven’t arrived yet but this will be the 14e Regiment of a Dragoons now it’s based.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
A selection of flags arrived today along with Chasseurs green paints from foundry so cracking on.

Adding a flag makes a lot of difference.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Painting continues....Marshal Frederick
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
Marshal Frederick directs the battle with a wave of his hat as an ADC gallops up ready to relay any new orders to the front.

I realise these aren’t the best paint jobs but for massed numbers, I’m sure they will work just fine for me.

Now, I’m on a roll.......what to paint next?

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Marshal Frederick du Pied Douteux.....Napoleonic French Project
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 12:46:44 PM »
They are well painted, and I admire people painting 28mm massbattle forces, personaly.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Marshal Frederick du Pied Douteux.....Napoleonic French Project
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »
Thank you for your kind words,  though I fear I have a LONG way to go before I can claim to have enough for a mass battle.....still, I seem to have hit a vein of mojo so onwards and upwards. 

I have started what will be two different cavalry divisions.  Whilst I’m keen to get at the chasseurs, I realise I have the horses already done so should really concentrate on the next Dragoon regiment.  I think though, seeing as the brigade will also need an attached horse artillery battery, I may do that next to mix things up....two guns coming up.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Really pleased with these canons.  I ran out of winter tuft but will add a few more bits when the new arrives.

In all my other projects, I’m kind of used to posting how to’s as I’m often scratch building scenery, or converting minis.  This time no such luck as it’s all paintwork....the bit I usually find the most draining!

However, here’s hoping this turns out a useful tip....please don’t think I invented this, I’m sure lots of people have done it.....but the warlord set lends itself nicely to leaving them on the spruce for ease of quick (hopefully) painting.  It also helps with the distribution of heads and packs, ensuring far fewer duplications.

This lot only took me two hours to clean up and assemble.  Enough for TWO regiments......not saying I’m painting them immediately though as I’m tinkering.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:17:24 PM by Digits »

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Good work so far and excellent progress! I know the feeling of staring down the 12pdr barrel of a french napoleonic army. But before you know it you will have a sizeable - and most importantly playable - force. Just a bit of infantry and you‘re ready to go. After that you can pick whatever you like without going wrong.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks Nick.

Truth be told, I’ve not really painted much for a year or so.  Moving jobs / house and living out of hotel rooms didn’t help.  Now I’m settled and more relaxed I’m able to do a bit.  A nap army is something I’ve aspired to over the years but the thought of all that paint has scared the life from me.

I usually paint more when I have a regular gaming partner (escalation will do that for you) but I now find myself somewhere new and my gaming buddies only able to visit once in a blue moon.  So in a sense, this could be harder than I hope!

I need to get a few units of foot sloggers painted as both you and Brian say because I’m a little phased by them.  Once I break that, I think I will be fine.

In that regard, if there is anyone in the South Warkshire / Stratford on Avon area that collects 28mm Naps and fancies a game, please let me know.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
And so it begins.....

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Looking like a good start on your infantry! Those greatcoats certainly lend themselves to quick painting.

I might have missed it, but what rules and unit sizes are you going for? My local group uses Black Powder with 12-16 miniatures per small unit and 20-24 miniatures per regular unit. For French that means I can play a battalion without elites as small and with voltigeurs only as regular. That way units are ‘gaming ready’ quicker, and I can always add grenadiers later or use them for combined units. Getting units on the table is always a big motivation for me.

Just a thought what works for me...

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
I have Black Powder so that’s what I’m aiming for.

Regular infantry 24, large 36 (small 12 and tiny 6)
Regular Cavalry 12, large 16+

You can see the sizes I’m looking for based on my force .org.

You are hopefully right...great costs are much easier!  My plan is to get these two units plus another three or four done in coats just to make sure I can hit the table.  After that, I will do a few more colourful units as I love the “pomp”. 

I prefer the Perry minis but these Warlord ones really do look easier.  I’m not keen on their metals (command figures) hence I’m mixing in a few Perry’s.