Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690596
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 38551 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Venta de Pantalones - the French - 47% complete!
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »
I’m not sure you are taking this Spring Offensive seriously enough monsieur !

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2021, 07:56:25 PM »
That's 'Senor' to you Froggy! lol lol
I take very little seriously.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2021, 12:38:29 PM »
my, they look fab.

and the discipline to paint while you're on holiday - impressive.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2021, 01:55:30 PM »
Digits they look excellent!

I have never played or painted Napoleonics, partly because the effort required to produce the units needed for a proper game looks so intimidating, but they do look good once they are done. I am tempted to buy a couple of figures just to have a go at the fancy uniforms and maybe a big colourful flag.

I am considering getting the coming Silver Bayonet fantasy Napoleonic rules as I understand you only need 8 figures per player. Not proper Napoleonic warfare of course, but it might persuade me and a few friends to dip a toe, and who knows what might happen after that.

and the discipline to paint while you're on holiday - impressive.

That reminds me of when I was speaking to a friend of mine over this summer - he rather gloomily said he was not going to get a chance to do any figure painting over the coming week as he was on holiday with his family!

Personally, painting is one of my leisure activities and when I am off work I would generally hope to do a little bit more of it than I can normally fit into a working week. We were away in the UK this summer and I brought a few figures and a selection of paints with me so I could poke some paint around on a couple of evenings once family activities and responsibilities were done.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2021, 02:07:03 PM »
I took a toolbox full of figures and glues / tools etc, when we went away for 2 weeks. And of course didn't touch them!

sold the unmade figs in Sept. so probably just as well  :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »
Cheers guys….yup, holiday painting is ok if you are disciplined enough to get up, brave the morning air and leave your partner in bed!   Natural daylight is the main bonus.  The downside is people constantly wanting to know what you are painting…..but it does start a few interesting conversations!

I have never played or painted Napoleonics, partly because the effort required to produce the units needed for a proper game looks so intimidating, but they do look good once they are done. I am tempted to buy a couple of figures just to have a go at the fancy uniforms and maybe a big colourful flag.

I am considering getting the coming Silver Bayonet fantasy Napoleonic rules as I understand you only need 8 figures per player. Not proper Napoleonic warfare of course, but it might persuade me and a few friends to dip a toe, and who knows what might happen after that.

Go for it!   Not heard of those rules but sound interesting!  Before you know it, you will have a brigade of minis to play with!  ;)

It’s definitely been a slow burner at times as projects go……but I am nearing the ability to pop things on the table now.   I am just painting a few more British so I can start playing out the rules.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2021, 08:00:55 PM »

Digits is right. Start skirmish, lots of rules out there.
As well as the upcoming Silver Bayonet (Napoleonics against Vampires, werewolves etc)
You might look at:-
Fist Full of Lead (Black Powder)  which is a fun game.
Sharpe Practice (Too Fat Lardies) another nice game.
Muskets & Tomahawks would also work.
Then fairly quickly you'll find you can (Sabot) base up several units (of 12 figures) and
try sets like Rebles & Patriots. (That is as far as I have gone. ;))
Then you can move on to join the likes of Digits & field brigades.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #322 on: October 03, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »
Thanks @Digits and @has.been, I am persuaded to have a first taste of the period.

I want to start very small, and I like the flexibility and convertability of multiparty plastics, so I plan to buy a single sprue of figures initially. To narrow down the dizzying array of choices I have decided on Perry, as they have a wide range and I have used their Medieval figures before and like the proportions. I have also read that it makes sense to start Napoleonic with some French (as most battles apparently involved them!). My final criteria is that I want figures that can be put into a variety of individual skirmishing poses (I am not at this stage looking to create an entire column of men with shouldered muskets).

So I am thinking the French Elite Companies frame would be a place to start (possibly with some dismounted French Dragoons as they have shiny helmets!). Any reason not to go for these as a starter and any other sets you have been particularly impressed with?

And apologies for the thread hijack!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #323 on: October 03, 2021, 12:09:39 PM »
Thanks @Digits and @has.been, I am persuaded to have a first taste of the period.

I want to start very small, and I like the flexibility and convertability of multiparty plastics, so I plan to buy a single sprue of figures initially. To narrow down the dizzying array of choices I have decided on Perry, as they have a wide range and I have used their Medieval figures before and like the proportions. I have also read that it makes sense to start Napoleonic with some French (as most battles apparently involved them!). My final criteria is that I want figures that can be put into a variety of individual skirmishing poses (I am not at this stage looking to create an entire column of men with shouldered muskets).

So I am thinking the French Elite Companies frame would be a place to start (possibly with some dismounted French Dragoons as they have shiny helmets!). Any reason not to go for these as a starter and any other sets you have been particularly impressed with?

And apologies for the thread hijack!

I am sure Digits will not mind your hijack at all.
Elite French (ie Grenadiers and Voltigeurs) is an excellent choice to start off and makes the most sense for a skirmish force anyway.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Napoleonics! 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
Yup, fret not…if you are inspired to start Naps I’m happy to oblige!

Good choice of frame.

Skirmish gaming is a fun way to start.

Indeed, I have been individually basing a few minis and horse for doing just that!

I look forward to seeing your minis!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #325 on: July 30, 2022, 04:58:33 PM »
Ha…..been  a while, but I’m back again monsieurs!

I feel I’ve painted too much WW2 of late, and burned myself out a bit, so time tomdpread a little love onto a few of my other ongoing projects, this being my favourite thread.

It’s time to start trying to finish off a few brigades and get a game in.  I want to get past that 50% mark and not dip under it again…..ie stop adding new units into the target for a good while at least.  Whilst I’m at it, I do need to paint a few British opponents and their allies too.

So, I will make a start by painting a little horse flesh……in fact I think I’m going to start three units at once!   I have a British light dragoon regiment, and two French light horse regiments on the go here (the second Of which is out of sight) along with a few French commanders.

If I can get the horses done, in one big batch, I can then finish the regiments in turn as that’s the trickier bit.    I’m hoping the two French regiments should tip me over the 50%…..🤞

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 05:23:53 PM by Digits »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2022, 05:05:24 PM »
Your coming back is greeted with joy!
Good luck for the continuation of your project!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2022, 07:56:20 PM »
Aw shucks, & there were we Anglo-Spanish hoping you'd forgotten. :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2022, 10:17:03 PM »
Your coming back is greeted with joy!
Good luck for the continuation of your project!
Cheers!

Thanks fella!   Yes, I do cycle back every now and then.     Hopefully we can get a little progress done.    I also have a few weeks in the van scheduled later in the season, always a great time to work on the Naps too….😉

Pete, fear not, for as you can plainly see, there is a British regiment in there!

Edit:

Acutually, I’m probably biting off more than I can chew, but I’ve just built and added another Chasseurs regiment.   With the exception of the dragoon regiment, this would represent the balance of my cavalry division!

Ok, let’s get them horses painted!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:55:22 PM by Digits »

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2022, 09:49:23 PM »
Brunswickers?  ;)
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper