Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 38714 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Not sure, I’m fairly certain it will contain highlanders mind!

So, what is you force commanders name and rank please?  And will we see updates in a thread here?

Oh, and I suspect you may need more horse!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:13:45 AM by Digits »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
I will certainly update with photos when I build up a head of steam. More horse you say? I will look into seeing what cavalry Wellington had in the Peninsular. Maybe some Spanish or Portuguese horse might be colourful.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Certainly Spanish horse could be a little colourful and interesting to do I agree.

So currently working on the Dragoon horses.  Whilst at it, I realised I still need to paint four more for the 20th Dragoon’s which are also built.  A regular sized unit that will sit alongside my Lancers in good time.  May as well do those at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:57:43 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
I seem to recall that Wellington, (Still Wellesley at the time),
agreed to accept the Scots Greys for the Peninsular only
because they came with horses. He was very short of mounts.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
I didn’t think they were in the Peninsular at all....garrisoned in Ireland and Scotland I believe.  Though heavy cavalry played little or no part in the early peninsular campaign (I think there may have been some at Talavera 1809, heavy dragoon’s / dragoon guards arrived 1811/12 I think and were certainly in numbers at Salamanca.

So yes, Dragoon’s / life guards would be an option, though I like the idea of more colourful Spaniards.  A regiment of each then!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:29:09 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
You are probably right Digits.
Some very nice 28mm Spanish Cavalry figures out there.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
The 5th Dragoon Guards...under Le  Marchant would be a fine unit to collect.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Digits builds Napoleonic French Army - More horses
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »
Just got to paint the bases (and riders!).  Half of these were already painted earlier in the thread, but I butchered the units and had to do as many again to get back to the two regiments here.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Need basing....but first stand is painted!

You do realize this thread started June 07, 2015?  :o  lol

Anyway, its a good read and am happy you are making progress.

... I love those pink Dragoons!  :-*

And the infantry are turning out a treat!  ;D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
You do realize this thread started June 07, 2015?  :o  lol

It’s a little hare and tortoise I will give you that!  :?  Ok, I've changed the name.....that may help..lol

It’s taken a major illness to kickstart me again...bizarrely I’ve more Nappy mojo than I’ve ever had right now!  Expect a few finished units in the next month or so.

Thanks however, glad you like them.  Especially the pink Dragoon’s......exactly what the next cavalry unit is too!  That will finish a heavy cavalry brigade.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:15:57 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
So easily distracted!  Rest assured, infantry unit straight after theses fellows.

So, I’d already painted the 14th, a nice pink regiment (in background for reference).  Having finished the bases (tufts to finish after varnishing) and chatting about the painted guys, I decided to paint the 17th next.  I had decided on brigading these two units, both having served in the Peninsular in my time frame before realising they both had pink facings.  With the exception of the pockets, one vertical, one horizontal (which I can’t see on the model anyway!), they seem to have had identical cuffs, turn backs and collars!

Don’t get me wrong, I think together they would look good on the table, but I need something to distinguish them.  I can’t find any reference but I think I will reverse the buglers jacket on this one.  For the previous unit, I used green with pink piping, for this, I think pink with green piping.

Plus, if I get these done, having also painted the horse battery, I will have my first finished Brigade!

Anyway, let’s see how long these take me before I can get back to the infantry.  I’m aiming for the end of the weekend......with luck!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:49:57 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Escalating forces of Marshal Frederick du Pied Douteux - Dragoons
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
Arrrrgggghhhh!

So, I’ve actually gone at a pace unheard of for me and all I’m left with is the white straps to do on these fellas.  Hell, I’ve even managed to paint a third infantry command stand (light infantry from the first brigade so that will be the command for every unit in that division).  I should have everything finished today.  Three days, I thought it would take five.

However, having just sat in the garden painting the slung muskets and swords.....my wife has just handed me a mangled figure that must have dropped off my figure tray last night when I went to bed.  Someone must have stood on it because the scabbard is damaged and the sword snapped.  Not sure how I missed it when painting.    So, I have to cut off the broken sword arm and replace it, (the scabbard will hide between two horses so won’t me visible) and then paint all the bits I did this am.

Don’t you just hate it when something stupid like that happens?!

Anyway, should be aiming for a finish later today....dog willing.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Escalating forces of Marshal Frederick du Pied Douteux - Dragoons
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »
Et voila!

My second regiment of Dragoon’s, finishing the third heavy Brigade! 

Don’t know WHERE my mojo of the last three days has come from but I wish I could harness it!  Tufts will have to wait as I’ve run out.   Really chuffed with these...better than the first regiment I painted.  I may need to revisit them....

And the third command stand as described above.  Regular sized regiment hence the 40 x 40 stand.  Will base with the troops.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Re: An escalating Peninsular French Army - Dragoons Finished!
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
Those are lovely -Very well done indeed
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: An escalating Peninsular French Army - Dragoons Finished!
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2020, 10:02:15 PM »
Love the Dragoons!

Quick story: When I was around 16 I was going through the library's history section and pulled out this book about the Napoleonic Wars. On the front cover was a wonderful painting of a mounted French Dragoon. The book was very well illustrated with color paintings and I could hardly believe that these folks wore such beautiful uniforms into battle.

The next thing I know, I had stopped model making and was painting 54mm Historex miniatures. And so started a hobby I have continued till today...

Keep up the great work, Digits.