Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 758
Total: 765

Recent

Author Topic: eMills, Fallout [Updates Pg 4][AntAgonizer & Supermutant WIP digital sculpt]  (Read 17329 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: Fallout (or "My Ramblings Through the Wasteland")
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »
Real nice, everything :)
Wow, just WOW!
Great to see how you build these up. They are looking awesome - keep posting!
You call it converting, I call it sculpting.  Wow.  Love that vault dweller.  Actually, everything is kind of bad ass.
Nice progress on the next vaultie :D
Thanks very much all of you.  :D

Great! I had been considering a surface but was worried it would choke on zbrush- how does it handle it?
It handles it very well actually. I wouldn't try to do any serious rendering with it, and it won't be the best choice to make models with more than 15 million ploys or so. It handles everything below that really well, especially if you are using the 64 bit version. Plenty of horsepower to handle the types of modelling that one would do for wargaming pieces, in my opinion. I have the i7 8gb ram, 256 hdd version.

If you do go this route, you will need to get RadialMenu and the WinTab drivers for your pen. If you want more info on that, pm me.

Updates:

I think this guy is done barring the arms ands some minor details.

Caravan Lieutenant and Sniper (no name picked out yet):

She has a jacket on over her Vault Jumpsuit and some fancy boots. Lol. I will be giving her a pointing hand and a Rockabilly-esque hairdo.

Sorry for the shoddy pictures. I will try to get better ones later.

Thanks everyone for looking.

~Eric

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:18:32 AM by eMills »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
New update:

Progress on the Lt. and Heavy Gunner is going well.

Here is the last of the Core 4 from the group:

He is a Survivor who was somehow turned into a Supermutant. I was going to use Brother Vinnie's sculpt but it is way too large to be a regular Supermutant, so I set about making my own. Really early WIP. Original figure is a Reaper Bones figure. He will be wearing scrap armor and wielding the large sledgehammer from the BV sculpt.

Also, I had contemplated changing the overall scale of the figures for compatibility with the majority of the 28mm figures on the market. I made this guy as a test run to that idea:

I still may switch since that will make finding base figures and weapons tons easier.

Thanks everyone for looking.

~Eric

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
I find that the scale of miniatures can vary between each other, like normal humans, not everyone is the same height etc..

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
I find that the scale of miniatures can vary between each other, like normal humans, not everyone is the same height etc..

Agreed.  I have WOTC bendy Star Wars, GW, Copplestone, and Wargames Factory figures in my project; while one on one some look strange next to each other, overall they blend together pretty well.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 01:28:41 AM »
Agreed.  I have WOTC bendy Star Wars, GW, Copplestone, and Wargames Factory figures in my project; while one on one some look strange next to each other, overall they blend together pretty well.
That's true gents, and I agree generally. I'm just a bit overly picky about it. And the stuff that is more GW style has proportions that just don't look right to me when mixed with the more "true" proportions found on Wargames Factory figures. The head and hands mostly. Height difference doesn't bother me so much.

But, the figure market being like it is, GW style "heroic" figures are much more prevalent. Just a thought for now. We'll see whether I turn that direction or not, even I'm not sure. Lol.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 02:05:01 AM »
Hands are the most noticeable discrepancy for me, some GW figures have palms as wide as the head is tall.

Good looking project ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 03:10:23 AM »
the stuff that is more GW style has proportions that just don't look right to me when mixed with the more "true" proportions found on Wargames Factory figures. The head and hands mostly.

Hands are the most noticeable discrepancy for me, some GW figures have palms as wide as the head is tall.

Yeah...hands/heads are the big point of contention, definitely.  For the WOTC conversions I was mostly chopping hands and heads for WF survivor replacements; there's one or two where I left the hands and at a glance they're fine but they look pretty wonky up close.  :`

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 02:45:39 AM »

Good looking project ;)
Thanks DM.

Yeah...hands/heads are the big point of contention, definitely.  For the WOTC conversions I was mostly chopping hands and heads for WF survivor replacements; there's one or two where I left the hands and at a glance they're fine but they look pretty wonky up close.  :`

I also altered the height on the NCR trooper as well because the GW style figures lack a midsection. Thais causes their overall height and proportions to be much more close to 1/48 scale figures. Unfortunately, this also makes the height discrepancy even worse.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 09:38:35 PM »
GW stuff's prevalent now, but there's been a definite shift in the market towards better proportioned miniatures due to better manufacturing techniques. A lot games now use more realistic proportions, its just that the companies that started out making the chunky models largely are choosing to stick with those, whilst newer ones go for the other style.

Yes though, that NCR Trooper is obviously more Heroic Scale looking than your other stuff. That's the thing. If he was going to be an Imperial Guard soldier then it'd be fine, but put alongside your other stuff and his mates are saying, "dude are you a mutant? You were born without a waste!". :D

I'd stick with the Wargames Factory stuff, as well personally they're what I use for armatures (one because you get a ton of them for the price and two they have plenty of compatible kits in their line). Plus youknow you're talking about a lack of bits when those kits come with loads of extras (failing that given the sci-fi setting you can get away with the weirder looking chunkier guns at times).

Oh and if wasn't immediately obvious, I'm biased as hell towards Heroic - we can't sculpt for shit, but we get away with it because we've been at it for 30 years - Scale. ;)

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 12:11:34 AM »
Can't wait until I see some T-60,T-45 and T51b's :D Dis is awsome

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »
GW stuff's prevalent now, but there's been a definite shift in the market towards better proportioned miniatures due to better manufacturing techniques. A lot games now use more realistic proportions, its just that the companies that started out making the chunky models largely are choosing to stick with those, whilst newer ones go for the other style.

Yes though, that NCR Trooper is obviously more Heroic Scale looking than your other stuff. That's the thing. If he was going to be an Imperial Guard soldier then it'd be fine, but put alongside your other stuff and his mates are saying, "dude are you a mutant? You were born without a waste!". :D

I'd stick with the Wargames Factory stuff, as well personally they're what I use for armatures (one because you get a ton of them for the price and two they have plenty of compatible kits in their line). Plus youknow you're talking about a lack of bits when those kits come with loads of extras (failing that given the sci-fi setting you can get away with the weirder looking chunkier guns at times).

Oh and if wasn't immediately obvious, I'm biased as hell towards Heroic - we can't sculpt for shit, but we get away with it because we've been at it for 30 years - Scale. ;)
I completely agree with you regarding the heroic scale style. I don't appreciate it anymore really, and the industry is shifting away from it for sure. The availability of kits (plastics mostly) in this style still outstrips the more correctly proportioned kits. Again, it was just a thought. I also don't mind those style figures when the proportions are corrected. Which my NCR trooper's have been, but it is not immediately obvious in that picture.

I also totally agree with your description of "Heroic - we can't sculpt for shit, but we get away with it because we've been at it for 30 years - Scale." it actually surprises me that these sculptors still get so much work. They just seem to make no attempts at improvement. This is also why I believe the Maelstrom's Edge KS didn't just explode; utilizing old styles on new product lines.

Sorry, bit of a ramble there.
Can't wait until I see some T-60,T-45 and T51b's :D Dis is awsome
Powered armor will make an appearance at some point, for sure. Not sure in what form.

Also, I fully intend to eventually make this:

But in the meantime, here's what I've worked on in the past two days:

It's always good to have sculpts to jump from/to. Helps keep from getting burned out or too focused on one of them. So, I started a Centaur.  lol

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by.

~Eric

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 11:53:41 PM »
Where are the plastic bits from you are using??

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 12:40:48 AM »
Where are the plastic bits from you are using??
Any bits in particular? Most of the Fallout stuff is Wargames Factory survivors.

~Eric

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 03:05:23 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some your T-51c power armor done up.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some your T-51c power armor done up.
That's gonna take some time, to be perfectly honest. Hope you stick around in the meantime.

Working on learning hard surface modelling in zBrush:

Rail Rifle

Still a ways to go. Love to hear some opinions on it. I want to make a set of the more unusual weapons from Fallout for printing and molding.

Thanks for looking.

~Eric