Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:10:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter to start 7th July (Pictures)  (Read 25520 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter to start 7th July (Pictures)
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
The Kickstarters for Bones 1 and Bones 2 were so successful that Bones 3 will start in three weeks.

http://www.reapermini.com/

I already have a mountain of Bones 2 figures to paint.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:47:40 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter to start 7th July
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »

I already have a mountain of Bones 2 figures to paint.

Me to.

However, I suspect that I will be adding a small Reaper Bones 3 hill to my mountain range before i finish them.

Patiently waiting to see more of what will be in it.... well not that patiently....

sigh.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
I am wondering what they will include.  The Bones collection is already very comprehensive.

I expect that we will see the following that are in Dark Legends but not in Bones:-
- Dinosaurs
- Prehistoric Creatures  - Cave Bear, Giant Sloth, Axebeak bird, Giant Snakes and Crocodiles
- Darkest Africa
- Greek and Arabian Legends

Beyond that I have no idea.

Mick

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
Slightly tangential question...

Models I need in order to play games with aside, I generally buy on the basis of sculpts that I like and look relatively* fun to paint.

The "Bones" stuff though looks pretty much the opposite of what I look for in models that are nice to paint however.

Are you enthusiasts who are buying these (and there must be a lot of you if Reaper's doing a third KS!) actually enjoying the models? Is it because they have models that other manufacturers don't offer? Or are they just a means to an end in terms of grabbing loads of models for "cheap" and damn the quality?

Bit of a weird question perhaps, but I'm just curious if there's any real love for the actual models themselves beyond the obvious "boardgame-level stuff for very low prices" appeal. :P

*I say "relatively" because I'm a slow painter and find painting becomes a bit of a chore towards the end of every model I work on.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »
Dear Major Gilbear

I have quite a lot of Bones figures.  
I especially like Bones for dragons, chimera, giant insects, spiders, bugbears, gnolls, trolls, giants, scenics and other large models.

Bones are very light and very tough and complex models need less parts as the material is flexible.
You can drop a Bones dragon on the floor and it will not be damaged.
Bones are also good for Skeletons because the models are unbreakable.
You could even carry your collection of Bones miniatures in a bag.

I am "so so" with Bones for human sized models.
Sometimes, you get fine mould lines and slight flash which can only be removed with a sharp scalpel.
Metal and hard plastic are easier to clean up.

Regards

Mick

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
I "might" pick up Tiamat, just because she's huge. Maybe one or 2 other special add-ons, but on the whole I stay away form Bones.
Leadhead

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
Agree.

For large stuff, the material holds detail well enough,

Smaller stuff, not so good.

so tend to prefer ogres, dragons and bigger beasties, that said for a quick dungeon bash with painted minies that can take a beating, the loss of some detail on the smaller models is bearable.

It is tough stuff, holds paint well, does not, once you get used to the idea, need an undercoat.

The dreaded "bent bits" is easy to deal with in most cases (boiling water - dip - straighten, dip in cold water).

So with the pros/cons they are like-able, and, relatively cheap to acquire. Especially the bigger stuff.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »
My experience with Bones figures is limited, and I seem to be in a minority in terms of how I buy.

What appeals to me about the Bones line is that some of the larger critters are more affordable for someone on a budget, like me. Large figures around $10 or less are more accessible to me (and in greater numbers) than $30 or $40 each. The quality might not be 100% of their metal or resin counterparts, but I unfortunately have to balance value (price vs. quality.) I haven't invested in any of the really huge figures.

As far as the smaller figures, the price difference may play out the same way when taken into account on a larger scale, but I'm usually looking for either rank & file troops for mass combat, or just the occasional centerpiece character. So the appeal of these size figures is limited in number for me, so I'd rather just get a higher quality figure. I'm not interested in amassing a large horde (or hoard) of figures that I'll never paint or use.

I'm also not much of a Kickstarter fanatic. I've backed some simple projects, where someone is making a certain product, and "rewards" are limited. But once the process itself becomes too large and complex, I generally ignore KS and just wait for a company's general release. I'm not interested in investing a lot of time or thought into shopping. Honestly, I like Kickstarter as I thought it was originally intended -- a way to kick start projects that needed outside funding to get on their feet. Not so fond of it as a glorified pre-order system for established companies. (But if it works for them, more power to them! I'm glad to see Reaper and others doing so well.)

Short version: I like larger Bones figures, but prefer to buy traditionally rather than deal with Kickstarter.

Offline Roddy

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »
Probably an already addressed question in reaper's forum but, does anyone knows if they'll get a european distributor for this kickstarter?

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
I found some preview pictures here
http://imgur.com/a/vofW6

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:46:16 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter to start 7th July (Pictures)
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »
I very much like the looks of the bears in that first pic. I hope they are part of the bones releases as I will definitely get some of those. Some of it looks quite Cthulhuish. The big worm looks great. I guess they figured their $2.99 worm is too small lol.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »
Probably an already addressed question in reaper's forum but, does anyone knows if they'll get a european distributor for this kickstarter?

Yeah I looked at that and it is in their forum somewhere, basic answer seemed to be - No.

All ships from China to USA and then sent out.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
Major G:

Pretty much what everyone else has said.  Once you go above human-sized, the detail on the models is good enough, and the lightness and flexibility of the models means they can take a beating and not lose paint.  Textures like fur, muscle, leathery/feathered wings are all great on these models.  Compared with big metal figures and the big GW hard-plastic models, they're a godsend - you don't spend all your time worrying about them.

On human-scale figures, the bendiness of the parts and shallow detail (I'm not happy with a lot of the faces) make them last choice for me.

I feel that I made my money back on the Bones 1 Kickstarter just on the dozen or so big figures I painted, and I still have about the same to go if I want more giants, trolls, orcs, etc.  Dungeon beasties, goblins, orcs are all good, even the little kobolds were kind of OK as they'll paint up in about an hour.  Happy to keep those waiting for a dungeon to live in.

The translucent ghosts and fire models were a bit of a gimmick I felt - decent, but I would have been happier painting them the traditional way.  And after 2 years they still really stink...

I still have most of the human figures untouched though, and I skipped Bones 2 for that reason.  Also, shipping to the EU got expensive second time round.  Bones 3 will be the same - I may dip in for a couple of things, but will probably wait for them to appear in shops.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 04:21:15 AM »
Yeah that is a fair assessment on the figures, but I still like the smaller ones and so far that is all I have painted from my Bones 2 lot. I painted a wizard and it had stunning robes and the slightly softer details havent mattered.

I went to the Reaper site to see if they have released any more of the Bones 2 set as I was to get some Town Watch, but then I saw the Bones 3 announcement. Arrgghh!! I know I will be tempted. The thing I like with Bones is I get a whole bunch of interesting figures I wouldnt normally buy and will use them for Dungeon crawls or SoBH.