Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690887
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empire of the Dead - Vampire Faction  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
Empire of the Dead - Vampire Faction
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/empire-of-dead-vampire-faction.html

Something a bit different from the House of Yarkshire today.  After a month of Green Ochre and WW1 Turks I needed a break,  so I grabbed these bad boys (and girl) out of the Lead Mountain.

Bit of a change of scenery for me as I don't usually do wierd stuff but I'm happy with them, bit of a shock to the system painting figures in ones, much different to my usual conveyor belt method. Back to reality with some 15mm SYW next.

Regards, Ken
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Holla_die_Waldfee

• Bookworm
Re: Empire of the Dead - Vampire Faction
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:31:59 AM »
The Count looks really dead and hungry, good paint.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
Nice brushwork, they look great :)
What recipe do you use for the flesh on the Vampires?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »
Hi Malamute,

Bit strange but I started with a base of Citadel Foundation Hormagaunt Purple, then gradually added Coat d'Arms Bone to it, gradually lightening it. I used a similar brew on the Gallows Hag figure I did a while back, the purple seems to give that "undead glow".

Regards, Ken

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
Thanks, thats a new approach which works very well.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
Bit strange but I started with a base of Citadel Foundation Hormagaunt Purple, then gradually added Coat d'Arms Bone to it, gradually lightening it. I used a similar brew on the Gallows Hag figure I did a while back, the purple seems to give that "undead glow".

I have to say, Citadel Foundations Hormagaunt Purple is (was) a very useful paint. As I'm toning down my palette to achieve a more atmospheric look with my paintjobs, I find myself constantly reaching for this paint. It is as much a "purplish grey" as it is a "greyish purple". I'll have to start mixing my own when I run out, unless the Vallejo Game Colour Heavy Violet turns out to be the same.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:36:24 PM »
I've had my pot of Hormagaunt Purple for a long time and add a drop or two of water every now and again to keep it live. Does anyone know of a substitute ? The Vallejo 811 Blue Violet might be a possible.

Regards, Ken

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
I've had my pot of Hormagaunt Purple for a long time and add a drop or two of water every now and again to keep it live. Does anyone know of a substitute ? The Vallejo 811 Blue Violet might be a possible.

So the Heavy Violet from Vallejo's Game Colour Extra Opaques range is definitely not the same, then? To be clear, I have no idea myself; I was simply hoping the Extra Opaques were a more-or-less "exact" imitation of the Citadel Foundation paints (they, too, being "extra opaques"). Admittedly the Heavy Violet looks rather more saturated as represented in webstores (I'm looking at the Minibits webstore).

Oh, and I completely forgot to say: Great paintjobs! Very atmospheric colour choices, especially against the backdrop. Can't get more "gothic horror" than that. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
Hi Rhoderic,

I wouldn't rule out the extra opaques or the game colour blue violet as I haven't seen them in the "undead" flesh. I always find the colour blocks on the vallejo charts never quite match the real thing. Anyone on here got them to make a comparison.

Cheers for the kind comments,  as I said above its not my normal thing, but I enjoyed doing them.

Regards, Ken