Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: L'Art de la Guerre; How Does it Play?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
L'Art de la Guerre; How Does it Play?
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »
Opinions would be very much appreciated :)

Darrell.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:04:48 AM by Atheling »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: L'Art de la Guerre; How Does it Play?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
I should have added that the reason I'm asking is that I'm doing a Hastings demo next year at Salute on behalf of the Lance and Longbow Society and it's getting quite imperative that I get the rules sorted out before all the painting, basing and re-basing commences.

Any help in this regard will be very much appreciated, as ever  :)

Darrell.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
Darrell, for most recent rulesets there are at least one or two overview/review articles already out there on the web.
Perhaps people are reluctant to answer because of your response to the comparison of "Sword & Spear" to DBx?

S@#t!!! That's put me off straight away!!!  lol lol lol

Have a look at what fans of DBx have to say about "L'Art de la Guerre" here. Chances are you won't like it either. ;)

Just a thought: Probably it would be constructive to come up with a few aspects you want to cover with your game beforehand rather than to go through a random selection of sets. This might lead to a qualified result since it's easier to assess if a certain ruleset provides the kind of mechanisms and creates the gaming experience you're aiming for.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
Darrell, for most recent rulesets there are at least one or two overview/review articles already out there on the web.
Perhaps people are reluctant to answer because of your response to the comparison of "Sword & Spear" to DBx?

Have a look at what fans of DBx have to say about "L'Art de la Guerre" here. Chances are you won't like it either. ;)

Just a thought: Probably it would be constructive to come up with a few aspects you want to cover with your game beforehand rather than to go through a random selection of sets. This might lead to a qualified result since it's easier to assess if a certain ruleset provides the kind of mechanisms and creates the gaming experience you're aiming for.

You're quite right pf course, it's just that I'm getting, well, a little desperate as I have all the mini's to paint and base save the Norman cavalry and crossbows!

I can easily lay out the groundwork of what I'd like to see in a rule set for the Hastings demo. I'll get to it today.

BTW, My reluctance to consider DBx is borne out of experience- I've seen some pretty nasty games going on in my time including players going ape at one another..... not good.

Darrell.