Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:37:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Custom-built ship-models  (Read 1170 times)

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
(COMMERCIAL) Custom-built ship-models
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »
Friends, Romans, Wargamers,

I’ve been looking around here for a while and find I feel very much at home with the “off-scale” look and creativity that goes into wargaming models.

At the moment, I am in the process of turning a passion into a business. The passion in question is the one about model-boating. I offer custom built model-ships and -boats, based on my original design (which is heavily inspired by the style of vintage tin-toy ships, rather than actual real ships).

The original idea came from my enthusiasm for remote controlled, functional models, but the “custom” credo means I might just as well offer models fit for wargaming. Some of my ideas and designs could even be quite easily adapted. I’ve been thinking about it for a while, but since my background is in RC-boating and plastic-modeling, and I am a total newbie to table-top wargaming, I need some help:

Which kind of ships would be particularly interesting? Personally, I feel quite at home in the Victorian age of steam- und steel-pioneers.

I realized that wargaming models are a sort of compromise between realism on the one hand , and the confinements of the gaming table and the format of the figures on the other. What are these? Which size ship would be borderline too big? What is the typical / maximum diameter of the bases? How tall are the figures (including weapons, tophats, other protruding bits)?

What I can offer already are custom-made ship-models, either fully made-up (although my detailing is not as fine as much of what I see here), or as a raw-build (I trust many of you feel happy to do the fine details and paint-jobs).

Here are some examples of my work:

HMS Pike is a Victorian TBD (torpedo boat destroyer),  not based on a particular real vessel, but built with vintage tin-toy models in mind. Thus, details are deliberately simplified, and the finish shows off a lot of bare brass. She’s set up for radio-control, but could easily built as a waterline-model (in fact, much more easily than this, all the difficult bits of the hull are under water).

You may remeber Kauru from the Pulp-boat thread. This is what a more finely detailed model out of my workshop would look like. Kauru is a collier I started a while ago (my private model, thus till not quite finished).

If you like to see some more pictures, you can check out my website, Port-Charmers.de (no wargaming stuff yet, I’m afraid, but more detailed pictures of HMS Pike and some other boats).

Cheers,
Peter

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Custom-built ship-models
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »
My interest would be in Asian ships like the Korean turtle ship. Japanese Bunes, Wako Pirate ships etc.

Not sure I would ever have the cash for a custom job mind you bit I figure I would put in some input.