Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690845
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Small question about Chain-of-Command  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Kane

• Scientist
Small question about Chain-of-Command
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:44 AM »
Hey guys,

Had my first CoC yesterday on a 4x4 table. (We halved all distances, and dice rolled for distance)
We left with a question and I feel dumb to ask bu:
Does a kill also confer a shock point? Since it wasn't explicitely stated in the rules we were in doubt. I'd say yes, my battlepartner didn't have a clue (and so did others we asked).

And I didn't find it on the internet.

Thanks for the help.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
Re: Small question about Chain-of-Command
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »
I believe that a kill is a kill and a shock is a shock. The two don't go together unless explicitly stated (it happens in close assaults, for example). A kill ultimately reduces the number of shock that it takes for a team to break anyway, as the breaking point is linked to the number of men still standing.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
That is also my understanding

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »
Alright. We played it like that by the way.
For me it just seemed strange that your squad sees their comrades die and it wouldn't effect them the least.

I mean, my buddy killed 3 troopers from the same squad, without inflicting any shock on the squad at all (3 outright kills). It seems odd to me that your squad simply ... carries on.

Thanks for the replies Morgan and Gunner Dunbar!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »
No, they are separate results. May seem weird but both reduce your unit's effectiveness in different ways.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Hey guys,

Had my first CoC yesterday on a 4x4 table. (We halved all distances, and dice rolled for distance)
We left with a question and I feel dumb to ask bu:
Does a kill also confer a shock point? Since it wasn't explicitely stated in the rules we were in doubt. I'd say yes, my battlepartner didn't have a clue (and so did others we asked).

And I didn't find it on the internet.

Thanks for the help.

Short answer: no

Emilio.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
Alright. We played it like that by the way.
For me it just seemed strange that your squad sees their comrades die and it wouldn't effect them the least.

I mean, my buddy killed 3 troopers from the same squad, without inflicting any shock on the squad at all (3 outright kills). It seems odd to me that your squad simply ... carries on.

Thanks for the replies Morgan and Gunner Dunbar!

But now the depleted squad is more vulnerable to shock. I play Dux Britannairum, that uses the same system, and to keep low levels of shock is a must.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »
I forgot to say that all you need to know or ask for Chain of Command is here:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=b44fc37ac79ccd9c3ceaa53d29753fcd

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Thanks emosbur!

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »
But what does shock do?  It reduces your firing dice by 1 and if shock exceeds team members you get pinned.  So a casualty is in effect an incurable shock - it reduces your firing dice and brings you one closer to being pinned just the same.

Offline Gazjones

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
During firing, a kill is a kill and shock is shock. During close combat 5 & 6 kills but each 6 also adds 1 point of shock.

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 09:45:38 PM »

I would agree that it does seem that way. The point above about a kill being like an incurable shock is a pretty good one, though, and playing the rules this way also makes it possible to have a situation where a team does fight until the man. Having recently read Hugh Sebag-Montefiore's book on Dunkirk, there are a few first-hand accounts of fights where one or another force fights until literally the last man. Those are the kind of situations, I think, that are represented by lots of kills but no shock.

Offline Seret

• Student
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »
I had the exact same question when I first started playing. It just seemed odd to ignore the psychological effect of casualties.

Having played the game a fair bit note I'd say it's quite unusual for a team to suffer kills but no shock, and likely to only last a phase or so. If it really bugs you you could house rule it to say you always get at least one point of shock when you take casualties. I haven't bothered, it all averages out over the course of a game.