Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 764
Total: 767

Recent

Author Topic: 1879 Battle of Charasiab at Colonial Barracks convention - updated Nov 21, 2015  (Read 30541 times)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Re: Terrain for 1879 Battle of Charasiab nearly done
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »
Fantastic!  :-*  I envy the players who get to game on that terrain. 
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 1879 Battle of Charasiab terrain nearly done (updated Sept 1st 2015)
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 01:55:27 AM »
Wonderful terrain.
Just love it.
Can't wait to read the battle report.
Thanks for sharing the thread.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
First, you make me glad I have 15 mm figures - don't need so much space or if I use so much space I have so much bigger a battlefield.  Now, if I only had your skills with terrain.  Stunning, truly.

But the real point is: I'm in SoCal next week, wife wants to spend time with some famous guy down there named Mickey.  Thus, where do I go to see this fine work in the flesh?! 

I do hope to visit Brookhurst and Warin15mm's other favorite shop, Arnie's trains - and maybe meet the fine man himself.  But how do I swing an invite - me being a total stranger and something of a cordial curmudgeon to boot?

Some of the finest terrain out there, then or now or when.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »
Quote from: Mad Guru
Thanks, Yggdrasil.  In case you want some more detailed info on how I built those rocky hills using garden bark-chips, here's a link to my last painstakingly over-detailed tutorial on the subject:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2014/04/building-last-rocky-wood-chip-hill-blow.html 

In my experience they do work well for "Old West" gaming.  I used one of the same hills for my 150th Anniversary BATTLE OF CAMERONE game, set in Mexico, and I've seen mountains that look very similar here in California and also in Texas, and seen photos of more of the same in Utah and South Dakota.
Sweet! Thanks for the great tutorial. Its very inspiring  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
Just lovely MG!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »
Thanks once again for your positive feedback, one and all!

Fifteensaway... Hahahah, what can I say?!?!?! Thanks for your high praise and I do appreciate your own appreciation of the inherent advantages of smaller scales in general & 15mm in particular.  Not sure how serious you are but if you were here during the next one or two weekends there's a chance you could see or even participate in a play-test of the Charasiab scenario.

When exactly will you be in LA?  Disneyland and Brookhurst are both a bit South of me in Orange County.  Also I may soon need to remove the Eastern-most 4 feet of terrain in order to put my desk back to work as an actual desk, as my partner and I have a looming deadline.  Still the other 8' should remain in place.

Anyway feel free to PM me re: dates and times for a possible visit.  Actually I'd love to visit warin15mm's place myself, though it might be a case of sensory overload!  I mentioned a while back to another LAFer based in SoCal that we should consider mounting a West a Coast USA version of BLAM -- the "British Lead Adventure Meet-up".  But until then, I can get by hosting an occasional fellow traveller from... wherever.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:46:50 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
The longstanding "Rumor of War(game)" at my place finally came to pass, and a fine day it was if I don't say so myself.

Unfortunately neither FifteensAway nor Arundel (AKA: the "other" Daryl, who lives less than 20 miles down the freeway from me in Pasadena) were able to make it, but I managed to snag 3 friends and fellow gamers, all of whom were alerted to the fact that it would be a learning experience for me re: all aspects of the scenario and its army lists as well as a game.  But they were all very gracious and it went very well, with a good mix of competitive "Drive for Victory" and collaborative game development.

I've put up a rather long and elaborate report on my blog detailing the play-test game and some of the adjustments and new ideas for the scenario which it inspired, which you can visit here, and thanks in advance for your time if you do so:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2015/09/charasiab-play-test-10.html

Meanwhile, this wouldn't be the Lead Adventure Forum if I didn't grab at least a handful of pics from the game and post them, so here goes...

Calm before the storm in the verdant Logar Valley:

High ground bristling with Afghan regulars:

Action commences:

12th Bengal Cavalry snake between the edge of the Western Spur of "Red Ridge" and the East bank of the Kabul River in order to avoid Afghan Infantry fire... but will they be AMBUSHED on the North side of the spur...?

Wider view of the action on the British left:

23rd BNI (Sikh Pioneers" supporting 5th Gurkhas who are in turn supporting the 72nd Highlanders at the front:

On the British right, Major White's "Feint" brigade advances towards Khairabad Village and the Conical Hills:

Afghan Regular Artillery on the heights prepare to open fire on them:

72nd Highlanders charge the Afghan Regulars occupying "Red Ridge":

Turns out the only ambush waiting for 12th Bengal Cavalry on the North side of the spur is a couple of local farmers...

Wider view taking in the East bank of Kabul River:

Wider still:

On the British right, 92nd Highlanders approach Khairabad Village, filled with Tribesmen...

Fire is exchanged...

View from behind Khairabad Village...

And more fun ensues...

Again, if you'd like to see and read a lot more about the proceedings, please stop by my blog, here's the LINK again, just to make it easy, since it's such a long scroll back up to the top of this post:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2015/09/charasiab-play-test-10.html

I hope in the near future when I run the next play-test of this scenario it will be attended by at least one fellow LAFer... Pasadena Daryl, my eye is on you!

And UK Darrell... if you can swing the plane ticket, since we dropped my son off at college on the other end of the country last month, there is now a spare bed available for visitors!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:20:24 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 1879 Battle of Charasiab terrain - & PLAY-TEST AAR (updated Sept 16th 2015)
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »
A most enjoyable game and table to behold  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »
Really, really nice looking game  :o :-* :o :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »
Great looking game and so many terrain ideas to try! Thank you!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »
I read all about it and gawped at the pics on your blog yesterday Mad Guru..... excellent write up and some really very inspiring photographs.

Basically i'm saying I love it all  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline Iowa Grognard

• Assistant
    • My Site!
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2015, 02:01:25 AM »
I keep oogling these pics.

That view from the artillery on the ridge is pretty darned cool.  The focus being in the distance, on the looming threat, does a nice job of putting the viewer there.  Can't get enough stuff like this.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2015, 04:12:28 AM »
Thank you, James, LB, Sparrow, Darrell, and Iowa Grognard.

It's very gratifying to read your comments.

Iowa Grognard: I'm glad you like that pic.  I do too.  As I keep play-testing the game and hopefully take it on the road to The Colonial Barracks Convention in Louisiana, I'll be sure to take a ton more pics.

This project has come a long way but still has a bit further to go.  I have some Charasiab-related figure conversions to do and some very small terrain pieces to finish up and one last large piece of terrain to build... plus I'm still waiting for a few command packs to be released by Artizan for their Second Afghan War range, so I can finally raise a more accurately uniformed and equipped unit of the 92nd Highlanders, as well as a new unit specifically painted as the 5th Punjab Infantry (khaki uniforms with green facings), plus I have 30 figures to paint (or get painted for me!) in khaki uniforms and brown turbans so they can replace their stand-ins and accurately serve as the 23rd Bengal Native Infantry (Sikh Pioneers), and then... well, maybe I'll really be done.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2015, 06:17:15 AM »
I'm still waiting for a few command packs to be released by Artizan for their Second Afghan War range

They have been released but sadly there are no pice on the NS site as of yet.

Darrell.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2015, 07:08:01 AM »
Lovely game. Beautiful terrain. Wish I could play on that table.  :-*
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109