Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Australian Civil War or "A Right Bloody Mess"  (Read 39884 times)

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
Re: Australian Civil War or "A Right Bloody Mess"
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »
Tanks in their hundreds rolled out of former railway manufacturers.

AFV Weapons #31 by Profile Publication Ltd. only lists 65 Sentinel tanks, and goes over the difficulties building them, including importing the engines from overseas.

I only purchased the magazine a few months ago, but it was quite an interesting read.
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Matthewc451

• Student
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »
Hi Everyone, thought it was time for me to dip my oar in.

I think its wonderful that people are talking about the concept of a major interwar conflict in Australia, that is after all the purpose of the thread and why I have put so much effort into preparing a background. BTW it should will be available at Little Wars Melbourne in May.

I have assumed that the key event is WAs secession, where they prepared for the moment and seized it. Victoria, who was currently in political conflict with NSW and Canberra at the time, also chose that moment and put years of preparation into it. The thing that pushes a constitutional crisis into a physical one is the advance of Victorian Troops into Riverina area, which welcomes them, and declares the area captured as Victorian. This is the real cataclysmic event that drags the country into civil war.

It may seen plausible, but when you do the research it was "possible." Victoria and WA were greatly inflamed by Sydney and Canberra as most of the expenditure was going to the greater Newcastle - Sydney area. It got to the point where the two states refused to contribute their agreed share to national projects and initiatives. The Federal Government caved and contributed their share. Similarly, the Riveriana area was rebelling against Sydney for the same region. The Riveriana movement got over 60,000 attendees to two rallies. They wanted to secede. The push was large enough to get a Royal Commission looking into whether NSW should be subdivided. They ultimately suggested that NSW be broken into 3 states. We know how it ended.

I have identified over 20 factions, so that players can play state vs state if they wish, or the internal conflicts within a single area. I have also created a few factions that represent what I want. The key is not the event, but the ability to represent a landscape and culture that local players can relate to. I have spent considerable time in the UK but it ultimately remains alien to me. I also learned an awful lot during the process.

In my deliberations I rejected the New Guard - Lang angle as it did not naturally lead to civil war and may not expand out of the Sydney region. That said, there is no reason why it could not occur either as a curtain raiser or the main event. It would provide a good excuse why NSW was on a war footing in 1933.

Whatever you do, enjoy it, and delve into local history, its fascinating.

Matt

Offline Colonel Grubb

• Student
  • Dogsbody
    • North of the Tweed blog
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
I saw your leaflet at CanCon the other day and I really like the concept and can't wait to read the source book for this when it comes out.

However what is the thinking behind the Australian Red Centre faction?

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
Clearly communist guerillas operating from a base on Ayers Rock (contemporary terminology).

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 03:31:21 AM »
At some point soon after WW1 the Australian army appears to have dropped the British-style SD cap from the uniform issued to other ranks, in which case of course, it shouldn't appear on ARBM figures.

I just checked my email and there was a response from Andy at Gripping Beast to an enquiry I sent them about their Gallipoli infantry packs. They're prepared to make up special ARBM packs omitting figures with SD caps with neck curtains, so you'd only need to replace heads with SD caps with their separate slouch hat heads (these are available either turned up or with flat brim, on sprues of five). Just ask when you order.     

Offline Matthewc451

• Student
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
Colonel Grubb asked:
I saw your leaflet at CanCon the other day and I really like the concept and can't wait to read the source book for this when it comes out.

However what is the thinking behind the Australian Red Centre faction?

When the referendum was held in April 1933 to ask the question about secession or not, the overwhelming response was a Yes. Of the 237,198 registered voters (voting was compulsory),  68% were in favour. The more interesting stat however was that only 6 of 50 electoral districts recorded a No vote and five of them were in the Goldfields and Kimberley regions.

It is this group that would have objected to the immediate secession that WA, or any other breakup of the Federation. Thus the creation of the Red Centre Faction. They are based in the Kalgoorlie-Coolgardie area, and their area of operation essentially spreads North and West from the wheatbelt. Given they are for of a single Australia, against WA (and Vic), and located in he middle of enemy territory it would be in NSW and Qld's best interests to provide equipment and possibly men. They would also be perfectly placed to harass any road or rail movement between WA and Vic.

One of the things about the region is that a very high percentage of the population was from the Eastern states, and thus that is where their loyalty would lie. Indeed it was the amendment of the electoral roll prior to the WA Federation referendum (to include anyone that had been in the colony for more than 12 months) that got them over the line. Without the push from the Goldfields it would have too close to predict.

The Red Centre are a very interesting faction given that they are in the heart of WA territory, thus nullifying the isolation that would otherwise work in WAs favour. WA having taken the step to secede, now had to fight.

I have Perry 8th army for WA and Red Centre forces. They also make slouch hats at a very reasonable price, it is this very casual look that I want for the hot dry climate of WA.

Eureka Miniatures has Kangaroo already on the mold and the Camel Corps is coming along nicely. I can see Camel and horse back troops trying to attack trains near the SA border.

Matt

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
Interesting thread I'll be looking forward to see what developes.

As an aside in 1980 (SPI was riding high and a big influence at the time) my friend Dave and I created a hex and counter Australia In Crisis game. There was a continent map and a battle map. Units were companies and battalions and it began with NSW splitting due to a political crisis and then we had political events to control the other states options...the whole thing died as we worked out at the time Australia really lacked within its borders the population or industry to support any prolonged conflict. Too few people and resources (as said at the time) over such a huge land mass led to a boring 'simulation'  :-[ A couple of things we found was W.A. was so isolated at the time it could do what it liked and S.A., Tas and N.T. were so people poor they could barely effect any outcome. We started experimenting with international intervention but discovered university and dating....
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
Have just finished a flight of 1/72 aircraft painted as various factions for this. I'm getting excited for its release and the research I'm conducting in anticipation has me discovering random facts like Brazil got the Tiger Moth before the RAAF. (Which means I'll be painting one of them next.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
Got any pictures of your aircraft to share Von Lucky?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
In about 3 weeks ;)

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 07:00:12 AM »
Was there any further progress on the book as I'm keen to buy.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »
Yes - saw Matthew yesterday at Little Wars Melbourne. I'll let him fill in the details, but suffice to say things are moving again after a few months hiatus due to illness.

I also managed to pick up a 1/72 Tiger Moth to add to the project for $2 so I'm happy.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
Hey Von Lucky has anyone posted up any pictures of Melbourne Little Wars 2016 you know of (did a Google search
with no success)?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:14 PM »
There's the Little Wars Australia Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/littlewarsaustralia/

And there's a few people that have posted their various games around the place. Haven't found any blog posts though.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2016, 10:42:30 PM »
Of course Facebook thanks Von lucky!

What brand was the Tiger Moth?