Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp alley scenario events, always room for more!  (Read 2398 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Pulp alley scenario events, always room for more!
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:52:27 AM »
Couldn't sleep last night and one of the things my sleep deprived brains started to mull over was the idea of a pulp alley scenario generator. I love the stock scenarios in the book and the two campaign expansions and I feel that with some de-constructing of their rules plus some additional ideas you can end up with a few random tables of rules that will allow for nearly infinite combinations.

However since I am still a bit groggy I will leave the de constructing of the basic scenarios for now and just post up the few random idea's I feel would do well on the scenario events table, do please feel free to add your own!

• Guards: The objectives, whatever they may be, are guarded by some third party. Roll on the table below to see what sort of guards there are and how they behave. Players alternate deploying 6 guards in total, each guard should be WITHIN 6"of an objective and outside of 6" of another guard, table edge or other model. At the end of each turn resolve the behaviour of each guard, players alternate in picking which guard to resolve next. All guards are followers with d6 in all skills except where noted otherwise. If a model targeted by a guard is hiding the opposing player should roll to see if the guard spots the hidden character. (rather then any time the character actives or moves within 12")
    1: Guards; your typical men with guns. 2d6 shoot. Guards will shoot at the nearest character they can see within 12" If they have no targets in that range they do nothing.
    2: Animals; be they dogs or dinosaurs. 2D6 brawl, 2D6 cunning, can't shoot. Animals will rush the nearest enemy within 12" they can see, otherwise they do nothing.
    3: sentries; sharp eyed watchers 2d6 cunning, Sentries shoot the nearest enemy within 12" or rush them if they are within 6" otherwise they do nothing.
  • Explosive terrain: The players alternate placing 1d6 small pieces of explosive terrain, outside of 6" of other explosive terrain. (note these MAY be placed next to objectives or models) Barrels and drums of kerosene are the standard but it might be strange machinery or alien plants as well. Players may shoot the explosive terrain, which does not have any dice to respond. If they score at least one success remove the explosive and centre a 3" burst where it stood. This burst act like a regular burst. Should a explosive be caught in a blast or burst itself also remove it and centre a 3" burst on it.
  • Vehicle objective: Roll a d6 on a 5 or a 6 replace the mayor plot point with a vehicle, otherwise replace a minor plot. In order to gain control of this vehicle a character must still overcome a random challenge. The driver of the vehicle is considered to be in possesion of the plot point as normal. This plot point can not be stolen by abilities such as scoundrel. If the driver leaves that position, eater voluntarily or by force another model may attempt the challenge in order to gain control over the plot point.

Pretty sure I had more bouncing around my brain last night, but there you have 3 random idea's that should work in any setting you play PA with.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:12:08 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp alley scenario events, always room for more!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:24 AM »
This is awesome! I'm excited to see how this goes.  :D

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:49:20 AM »
Great ideas YPU.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:40 AM »
Great ideas YPU.

Thanks for sharing.

Indeed!  ;)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »
It's strange how your mind wanders when you just can't seem to catch those zzz's.

But some interesting ideas there.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to share other figments of my mind should they be relevant. I'm trying to figure a way to deconstruct the basic scenarios into a number of simple random tables which together with an extended list of scenario events like above should make for a nice random scenario generator package.

Can't say I've had that much other inspiration for actual events right now, beyond a few obvious ones. (pretty sure everybody has thought of telleporters by now) I'm mostly trying to go for things that should be easy to represent on the table in multiple settings. (like the above) using stuff most gamers should have in their collection. The guards idea above could be anything from crossbowman in a fantasy setting to death ray wielding mutant cultists. Its easy to get a lot of wild ideas, the entire table is water and you get 2d6 vehicle points for boats and aircraft. Could be awesome, but I don't have enough boats for that (don't have any, to my shame)

I probably should categorize the rules into categories with the suggestion you only use one of a given category at a time. "objectives" would be a good example, turning the major plot point into a vehicles does not mix well with the dead trap scenario. (Unless your leaders name is Optimus)

Similarly Rolling both the guards and a terror prowling the map (like Island does a few times) Might be a bit much. So, categories should prevent these things from stacking up.

Lastly, somebody on the forum a while ago mentioned something about having a black cat on the table as a omen of bad luck that attaches itself to a character. I can't find the topic anymore but I'd love (to steal) the idea. It would work equally well for any kind of setting making it a great addition to these lists.