Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Eastern European Uniforms?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Modern Eastern European Uniforms?
« on: June 26, 2015, 03:11:15 AM »
As a side project from my Fallout stuff I've been working on models for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. setting. That's set in an alternative history modern Ukraine where the combatants range from national soldiers to thugs wearing Nike trainers (I suppose like a lot of wars then...). Now, I've been pretty on the ball with Western uniforms as far as my know how goes with them, but I'm not so good with the Eastern European stuff.

People here seem to be quite informed on this subject, so I'd be interested in your input. Are there any good sources that detail the uniforms being worn by countries in this region? Specifically Ukraine, but frankly I'd be interested in anything. For instance the standard green Russian uniform is well known, but I've also seen a sort of yellow drab swamp variant being worn by what I think are FSB operatives. Also talking about the Russians, does anyone else use their uniforms at all? I have a ton of Empress modern Russian models and was wondering if I could use them to represent other countries too (I bought them to use as Ukrainians, but I think they use a different style of armour).

So frankly I'd be happy if people threw anything and everything at me. Particularly though I'm on the lookout for winter camouflage and any which involve the colour red or a lot of black (which are unusual colours I know). That and whether the countries in the area primarily wear equipment based on Western designs or have nods to Russian gear, or hell are something entirely of their own concoction.

Tsk, and yes this is of course primarily just about sourcing images and keeping to the facts. Comments about certain countries being provided with gear "unofficially" or other discussion that'd rub people the wrong way perhaps should be avoided as per the new forum rules. :)

Ah, and here's my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread in case its of interest at all. I keep it from this board and in the Post-Apocalyptic Tales one as though it is fairly grounded in reality it does have its weird moments. :P

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=74152.0

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Modern Eastern European Uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »
Posting 'real-life' pictures for subjects Post-2000 is against forum rules, as well as discussion on them (as Wyrmalla notes). By all means link to sites containing such images, but please don't post any of them here.

Pictures of figures and models illustrating the uniforms are of course always welcome.  :)

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
Tah for the link to that site. Though its just snapshots of patterns its easy to extrapolate them into full uniforms. Heh, of all the countries I looked at though I could only find one red camo scheme, and funnily enough it was a Russian one. ...Apparently they have one for using during fires for their rescue teams (though who wants to be hidden in that kind of situation ...and you'd think they wouldn't need a dedicated set given all the smoke).

Heh, anyway tah man. I'm still interested though in the equipment countries are using, so if there's any catalogs of images those would helpful. Particularly actually I'm curious about the obscure stuff and whatever is in development, but of course the best that may be on offer here considering the rules may just be a nod to another forum discussing such topics. Saying that I already have a dropbox filled with hundreds of images, so this is really just about filling out my collection with more cool looking stuff. :D