Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skirmish fantasy rules  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Chesh

• Bookworm
Skirmish fantasy rules
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »
Hi all

Wondering if anyone can point me. In the right direction

I'm looking to try and find a set of rules that would cover small groups of 5-10 miniatures a side ( although maybe more for an evil sided played). Which includes multiple races and monsters.  I am also looking for something that includes fighting in buildings and magic in is part of.

I really like the 4ground Mordenburg buildings and want to create a board using them so looking for something that would fit in with the

Thanks in advance

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Skirmish fantasy rules
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
The various Song of Blades titles from Ganesha Games cover that set-up nicely. In particular, the new Fightin' Fungi has a greatly expanded magic system from the original Song of Blades and Heroes.

The rosters in Fightin' Fungi tend to have more detailed profiles than the Song of Blades ones (more special rules per figure), which boosts the points cost and reduces the numbers per side.

But all the variants allow you to (quickly) create any profile you fancy, with an appropriate points cost. And there are countless examples to use as starting points if you wish.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
The forthcoming 'FrostGrave' from Osprey might be what you're looking for?

Other contenders are 'Brink of Battle' and it's fantasy supplement. Then there's always good old 'Mordheim' itself, still available relatively cheap on Ebay last time I looked.

It might be worth giving Crooked Dice's '7th Voyage' a look over too!

Cheers

Julesav
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Don't forget the upcoming Otherworld rules!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »
Skulldred (if it ever gets beyond the eternal playtest stage) or Iron & Honor (which is available) will cover the type of games you want.

skulldred.blogspot.com  Skulldred
http://redturbanpress.com/shop/ Iron & Honor

Skulldred possibly better if you want to go really monster heavy in your warbands.
The published release of Iron & Honor has improved a lot over the playtest versions from last year (I really like the magic system) and is a great skirmish ruleset. (Still not my perfect D&D Battlesystem replacement but close)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »
I think they are OOP, but The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game is a great system which could fit your requirements. They come up on e-bay all the time, if interested.

Offline Chesh

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
Thanks everyone just ordered a copy of Songs of blades and Heroes

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
SoBaH is ok.

There's always Mordheim.  A google search will find the rules and so much more now available for free.
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
I like the Song Of series of games very much. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let us know how you get on!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Depending on the level of detail/crunch you are looking for, you might consider Epic Heroes. Its the Fantasy supplement to Brink of Battle. We have both pdfs on sale through the summer. You can read more here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=79994.0

You can also go to our website www.brinkofbattle.com and learn more. The 'About' tab has fact sheets for both books.

Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
There is also "Open Combat" from secondthunder. Simple, but good.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
As stated above SoB&H is......OK.  But on its own it is a bit limited.

You will need to look out for a few of the expansions also if you want to include a decent selection of monster types, terrain variants and campaign/character advancement.

http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/2502/Ganesha-Games

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
We use our own well developed set of fantasy rules where magic is important but not overpowering.  They were written by a medieval historian with a fascination for magic. We use all sorts of figures and once you've played a few games you can easily design your own stats for any model creature, create heroes, villains etc.

They are free and a short trial version is here http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/me_simple_abridged_rules.htm
Background http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/me_brief_history.htm
Sample actions http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/me_games.htm

If you want the full rules PM me you e-mail address.  They are in S Word format but I can convert to PDF if thta helps.

Alan
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
As stated above SoB&H is......OK.  But on its own it is a bit limited.

You will need to look out for a few of the expansions also if you want to include a decent selection of monster types, terrain variants and campaign/character advancement.

http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/2502/Ganesha-Games

I'd agree that the expansions add a lot to SBH. But you can get a lot of mileage from the basic book alone.

As for a decent selection of monster types, there are more than 200 profiles in the basic book, including 10 or so for most of the standard humanoid fantasy races and a broad range of "beastmen", plus a very wide range of monsters - everything from dragons (of various sizes), golems and elementals to moulds, shrieking fungi and giant insects. Kobolds and minotaurs are missing, but you can get them for free here.

I'd wager that the monsters in the basic book would outweigh the variety in the average miniature collection (even for the likes of us ... ;)). And - importantly - the online generator (or the formula at the back of the rulebook) allows you to put together a profile for whatever creature you like in seconds. So if you want, for example, to stat up each and every one of Citadel's old chaos goblins individually, you can do it in a few minutes (I did it here). And it's just as easy to do for anything else. My son and I pitted some Mantic "Orx" and a genestealer against a host of ratmen in one game; I confess that we used the submachine gun rules from the Mutants and Death Ray Guns variant for the Orx, but the genestealer was simply Q2, C4, Long Move, Combat Master, 100 points - and very deadly he was too!

That said, there are many more profiles in the expansions. What's interesting about them is the way they've been put together. So, for example, hobgoblins (in Songs of Gold and Darkness) share their stats with orcs, but get both the Gregarious and Evil special rules, which gives them a different twist - much better disciplined and effective if they have a leader, and sufficiently callous to risk shooting their own comrades if they're in combat with a foe. To my mind, it's a perfect profile for Tolkien's Uruk-hai, and a warband of them will have a very different flavour to standard orcs.

Of the supplements, I'd recommend Fightin' Fungi as a kind of "advanced SBH", as it includes the reaction rules (a brilliant way of breaking up the turn sequence still further - so that your opponent is hovering over your every dice roll looking for advantage) and a fully fleshed-out magic system. It also has interesting rosters that show some of the possibilities for making more complex characters (I like the "Orc Mercenary" profile that adds the Dashing trait to the basic orc to make it harder hitting on the charge, but balances it with the Coward trait. Throw in the Heavy Armour and Heavy Weapon traits, and you've got a really flavoursome warband member). Fightin' Fungi is standalone, but works really well as a supplement too and is well worth getting for the magic system alone. I volunteered to playtest it and have really enjoyed it.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »
One more option is Two Hour Wargames rules, they even have a free set for this Swordplay http://www.twohourwargames.com/swordplay.html.