Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:02:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skirmish fantasy rules  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Skirmish fantasy rules
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'd love to hear what people feel the respective strengths of the various skirmish systems are.

Offline api

• Schoolboy
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:39 AM »
I would add Pulp Alley. It fits very well to fantasy style and is in my opinion the best skirmish game i ever played.

PA brings the perils and fortune cards which create a very pleasant dynamism in games. Initiative given as a reward is fun. Combat played in opposition are intense and engaging. All games are fun, fast, well balanced and meaningfull.

League creation is even simpler than SoBH (no maths) and very customizable too. You can also play big monster as a One Man League.

You could find free ruleset on their site : http://store.pulpalley.com/category-s/1823.htm

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 01:41:38 AM »
My group uses and loves Ares by Majestic Twelve Games.  Great set of rules

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »
I will also chime in with Epic Heroes (part of Brink of Battle).
 I'm currently learning how to play and it's very good so far also having the ability to use whatever minis you want to with different magic 'levels' depending on how you like your fantasy.

Already mentioned SoBH is okay-ish on its own, but the expansions make it much better.

ymmv

-Patrick

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game.

It's a good one that you should be able to find cheap at used game/book stores these days. It has enough profiles to fit pretty much any army, includes magic, and has good/solid rules for fighting inside buildings and cities. I've used it for light-magic Viking-based skirmishing, and for various other skirmishing not specific to Middle-earth.

The rules themselves are technically simply but tactically deep. It's likely the best game GW ever made (although I haven't read the Sigmar rules).

Thanks
n.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
My group uses and loves Ares by Majestic Twelve Games.  Great set of rules
I and my group could not agree more!
It's a magnificent set of rules that doesn't get nearly the love it should.

I personally place it as one of the "perfect" sets, along with Full Thrust for space battles.
- Scott

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »

It's a good one that you should be able to find cheap at used game/book stores these days. It has enough profiles to fit pretty much any army, includes magic, and has good/solid rules for fighting inside buildings and cities. I've used it for light-magic Viking-based skirmishing, and for various other skirmishing not specific to Middle-earth.

The rules themselves are technically simply but tactically deep. It's likely the best game GW ever made (although I haven't read the Sigmar rules).

Thanks
n.

I agree with this 100%. I use it all the time and I don't own any miniatures from the range.

Offline api

• Schoolboy
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »

100 times better than AoS

I agree with this 100%. I use it all the time and I don't own any miniatures from the range.

How do you create your miniatures profiles, you just pick ones you like?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:31:54 PM by api »

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »
Yeah I kinda just use counts as. A goblin is a goblin after all.  I do have a lot of the old citadel lotr charters too.

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »
Well, you might consider a tried and tested system that is right in the midst of a reboot/update... Bladestorm:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bladestorm-Tabletop/1629498853933750

The original boxed set contents are available as a PDF, and that is chocked full of material and a three-tiered rules system (Basic/Intermediate/Advanced) for fantasy skirmish and larger scale battles of small units:

http://www.metal-express.net/what-is-bladestorm

Fun stuff to say the least, with both a myriad of fantasy human and non-human factions, critters, and a design system so you can pretty much adapt your favorite fantasy miniatures to the game without too much time or effort.

Hope this helps! 8)
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus