Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:46:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for the 1st Crusade  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Rules for the 1st Crusade
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:52:49 AM »
Whose using what for medium sized battles (100-150 figs a side)?

I like relatively fast play games with real period flavour and the minimum of book keeping.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Steve
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Rules for the 1st Crusade
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
Whose using what for medium sized battles (100-150 figs a side)?

I like relatively fast play games with real period flavour and the minimum of book keeping.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Steve

Ironbow II by the Per4fect Captain- free too!:

http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/ironbow.html

Hope that is of some help?

There's always Fireforge's Deus Volt:

http://fireforge-games.com/

Darrell.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
I haven't played it yet, but 'Clash of Empires' was written specifically to fill the void left by the collapse of Warhammer Historical (with the odd tweak to fix niggling loopholes). The 'Kingdom of Heaven' expansion deals with the Crusades, but in truth you can just use the main rulebook with a minimum of effort I think.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
I haven't played it yet, but 'Clash of Empires' was written specifically to fill the void left by the collapse of Warhammer Historical (with the odd tweak to fix niggling loopholes). The 'Kingdom of Heaven' expansion deals with the Crusades, but in truth you can just use the main rulebook with a minimum of effort I think.

CoE is very similar to WAB as mentioned above the Kingdom of Heaven book; the KoH has some of my painting in it as does the Ravens book so I'm familiar with the system.

I think you were looking for something that had the right feel too?

I don't think anything WAB based would really fit the bill (for me personally) as one always ends up with units routing in all directions and the game starts to resemble a badly choreographed dance performance.

There's also, Shattered Lances which I haven't actually played. Impetus worked quite well for the HYW so it may well be that the Crusades work too.

Darrell.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:27 PM »
CoE is very similar to WAB as mentioned above the Kingdom of Heaven book; the KoH has some of my painting in it as does the Ravens book so I'm familiar with the system.

I think you were looking for something that had the right feel too?

I don't think anything WAB based would really fit the bill (for me personally) as one always ends up with units routing in all directions and the game starts to resemble a badly choreographed dance performance.

There's also, Shattered Lances which I haven't actually played. Impetus worked quite well for the HYW so it may well be that the Crusades work too.

Darrell.

Darrell

Wise words.  At the risk of being set on fire, I am mighty bored with overproduced (and overpriced) glossy hardback rules that don't make any attempt to fit the period.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
Darrell

Wise words.  At the risk of being set on fire, I am mighty bored with overproduced (and overpriced) glossy hardback rules that don't make any attempt to fit the period.

I'd go for Ironbow II at first then.... at least it's free and if you don't like it you can always move on to another set of rules.

http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/ironbow.html

If I remember The Perfect Captain does ask you to make a charitable donation but it is up to the individual as to how much and which charity. A win win situation.

Darrell.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 05:15:56 PM »
If I may,

I'd suggest Kings of War Historical Ancient Combat rules.

They are historical lists built on top of Mantic's free rules, which are excellent, quick to learn and adopt, and skip the rule-pedantics and get right into the tactics of gaming! I really feel like it's all the tactical value of WAB or Impetus, with none of the fiddly, long-winded rules! Basing is pretty loose and because everything's free and the rules are relatively easy to figure out, it's worth a try!

Grab the Kings of War Rulebook for free here:
http://www.manticgames.com/games/kings-of-war/downloads.html

Download the medieval army lists - that have crusader-specific lists included - here:
http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=articles&which=KingsOfWarHistoricalAncientCombat#KoWHAC_MedievalMayhem

I'd love any feedback; if you don't like the lists, or have new ideas, I'm glad to include them in the medieval supplement!

Thanks
n

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
Darrell

Wise words.  At the risk of being set on fire, I am mighty bored with overproduced (and overpriced) glossy hardback rules that don't make any attempt to fit the period.

I sought to recreate the differing attributes of the various armies covered in the KoH supplement based on current academic research. Still, there are plenty of gaps in the data and a degree of informed speculation was necessary.

If you have any particular issues with a specific list that you think doesn't fit the period then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Stephen
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:59:07 PM by janner »

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 12:03:22 AM »
Impetus is a good set of rules, it's is somewhat generic with the player having to adopt tactics as new weapons and troop types/formations are developed. Basic Impetus is free from their site with plenty of army list also available, so you can try before you buy, additionally there are plenty of you tubes out there to help you learn the rules also and importantly an average game (social ie coffee breaks etc) should take around 2-3 hours. Good website and facebook page to get those questions answered..... by the author!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:05:07 AM by Paint Pig »
must dash, people to be, places to free
Dave

slowly over a low flame
MY FACE BOOK A Small Matter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:36 AM »
Impetus is a good set of rules, it's is somewhat generic with the player having to adopt tactics as new weapons and troop types/formations are developed. Basic Impetus is free from their site with plenty of army list also available, so you can try before you buy, additionally there are plenty of you tubes out there to help you learn the rules also and importantly an average game (social ie coffee breaks etc) should take around 2-3 hours. Good website and facebook page to get those questions answered..... by the author!

I'd like to add quickly, Basic Impetus is good for demo games at shows.... works quite well.  8)

Darrell.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
I believe Warwick of the Battlegroup... WW2 set has just completed some Crusade specific rules.
(edit, now I'm not on the work network here's a proper link)

http://warwickkinrade.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/soldiers-of-god-coming-soon.html

Called Soldiers of God and should be out very soon
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:51:01 PM by TWD »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
I believe Warwick of the Battlegroup... WW2 set has just completed some Crusade specific rules.
(edit, now I'm not on the work network here's a proper link)

http://warwickkinrade.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/soldiers-of-god-coming-soon.html

Called Soldiers of God and should be out very soon

Thanks for that Tom- and the link of course  ;) :)

I'll be indulging myself in a copy when they are released- period specific usually works best- especially for the Crusades where different armies had such diverse fighting styles.

Darrell.

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
Sword & Spear is an easy quick set of rules, with great back up on Mark's site. Lots of Army lists etc, all free. Downloadable set are £6.00 which you get back if you then decide to buy hard copy!

http://polkovnik.moonfruit.com/sword-spear/4583102656

We have about 12 chaps playing it at the club in 15mm and about 8 or so playing it in 28mm. You don't have to rebase either

Cracking set, achieves a result in an evening

If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!