Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690716
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sudan mini campaign at Con On the Run  (Read 2434 times)

Offline BushyRunBattlefield

• Bookworm
Sudan mini campaign at Con On the Run
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »
 We did a Sudan campaign yesterday.  It was just a brief three game thing with the results of each battle affecting the next in some way.

We had three Mahdist players and two Egyptian/British players.

Game 1

The first game saw a small force of Egyptians trying to capture the Mahdi as his movement started.  

The Egyptians had three small units and four small units of Bashi Bazooks.  The Mahdist had 3 regular units visible and one hidden in the village near the well.

The Egyptians moved North and then through the village when they got off the boat with the Bashi Bazooks moving South in column.  

The two Egyptian commanders were rivals, so they weren't necessarily supposed to cooperate.

The Eqyptians quickly ran into Mahdist forces while in column and were pretty jammed up by that.  They sent a unit through a building to flank the Mahdists but then a second unit of Mahidists were able to come into the village from the West side and hit the Egyptians in the rear.  

After the dust cleared the Egyptians were forced to retreat back through the city.

The Bashi Bazooks were having the opposite luck.  

They managed to destroy one of the units of Mahdists opposite them and force the other unit, along with the Mahdi, off the table.

The end result was a minor victory for the Egyptian forces.  They weren't able to pursue the Mahdi but the Mahdist wouldn't have any rifles for the next game.

Game 2

This time four tiny units of Bashi Bazooks were holding a village against three brigades of 3 units of Mahdists.  An Egyptian column was following the Mahdists and trying to stop them from taking the town, which had supplies, including a number of weapons.

The victory conditions were that the Mahdists won at the end of any full turn if they held, uncontested, four of the six buildings in the village.

The Mahdists sped up to the village on the first turn eating up ground like a kid eating candy.  

The Bashi Bazooks decided to consolidate their units into two buildings with two units in each.  Pretty much surrendering the objective to the Mahdists if they could get to them.

On the next turn they reached all four buildings they would have to enter.  They also assaulted the Bashi Bazooks in the buildings they occupied.

The Egyptians were not as quick on the draw but after a turn of slow marching really put the pedal to the metal to catch up.  

The Mahdists sent a force back to deal with them which caught one of the units in the flank while they were in column.

It wasn't pretty.

The other units managed to get around this and made it to one of the buildings that Mahdists had occupied and assaulted it in line.  

They pretty much bounced off and the Mahdists were able to take the required four buildings without much fuss.

Game 3

The Mahdists had taken a pretty significant supply dump.  Since the revolt was going so well for them the British decided to intervene.  

But the Mahdists were armed to the teeth now with rifles, cannons and all manner of other goodies, like horses and camels.

The British decided to attack their position in square.  At least for a short period of time.

Trusting in the power of their Gardner gun the British advanced towards their left to put some distance between themselves and the cannon the Mahdists had.

They were moving slowly and started cranking out some shots from the gun.  But then it jammed.  On the first attempt.

The Mahdists didn't need an invitation.

They poured out of their works and into the British square.  The British were suckered into a counter attack breaking up their square and more Mahdists charged.

British units were being smashed in melee all along the line.  

The cavalry tried to rescue the situation and smashed through the Mahdist camels but were repulsed by a counter attack from the Mahdist cavalry and forced to flee.

Eventually the gardner was unjammed just as Mahdist riflemen found their range to it and shot down the crew.

With only two units left the British attempted to retreat but it was every man for himself as the Mahdist force almost encircled them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Sudan mini campaign at Con On the Run
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
Excellent enjoyable read and great pics to go with it.... inspiring stuff  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I'm painting NWF and HYW at present but have started my Sudan project a while back, this might be all the impetus I need to get rolling again  :)

If you play any more games of this ilk, [lease post them up.

Darrell.

Offline zuluwar

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D :o :o

excellent !!!
haut les têtes messieurs la mitraille n'est pas de la merde !!!!

bataille du eylau (colonel lepic)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:36 PM »
Great game reports!  :) I do like linked scenarios or campaigns. It makes the players think that much more carefully about the consequences of their actions.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:13:40 AM »
Here are some more photos of that game, as well as some of the others, at the convention. 

http://s194.photobucket.com/user/Evad77/library/Bushy%20Run%202015

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:54 AM »
thanks for posting, fantastic writ up and ideas  :)
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:26 AM »
thanks for posting, fantastic writ up and ideas  :)

Indeed, it gave me a few ideas too so many thanks again from me  8)

Darrell.

Offline BushyRunBattlefield

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.  I'll get a little write up together about how the campaign I ran works when I get a chance, which probably won't be before Historicon. 

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »
That's a great looking game! Very well done.