Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Paint removal with Xtracrylix Purisol  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Paint removal with Xtracrylix Purisol
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
Hi, thought I'd share this product with you guys! At least here in Finland Fairy Power Spray has a new formula nowadays and I'd been looking for a suitable replacement for paint removal.

I stumbled upon some discussion of this on a scale modelling forum and thought I'd give it a try. 3 pounds from Hannants for a small 25ml bottle. The instructions suggest you apply it by painting on the area where you want to remove paint, but I didn't find it very effective. However submerging a mini for around 10 minutes removed pretty much all paint even from the smallest recesses. Great stuff even though it's quite expensive. Still storing it in a tub where you submerge minis will probably make it last quite a while compared to painting it on.

To put it short, this is absolutely the best thing I've ever tried for paint removal. And should be completely safe for plastics as well.

Slightly longer story on my blog

My test mini was some old plastic Chaos Space Marine with a horribly thick paintjob that covered all detail.

10 minutes and most of the paint is gone. I used a toothbrush for removing most of the paint and a toothpick to take out some left over stuff from tight spots.

Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Paint removal with Xtracrylix Purisol
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:06:38 AM »
Nice. Not harmful to the plastic mini, at all?

£3 for 25ml, though. Whoof! That's like GW prices. ;)

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »
That'a why I chose to test it on something suitably expensive :) wouldn't want to waste it on something cheap like my Naps.

Jokes aside, it didn't harm the plastic at all. I don't know if longer exposure might cause problems, but it's not really an issue as 10 minutes is plenty of time.

Cost is bit of an issue, but I reckon it will last very long if you store it in an airtight jar that is used for submerging the minis. Painting it on seems pretty wasteful

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »
I've just ordered a pot to see how it works out.

Thanks for the tip  8).

Darrell.