Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How often do you play?  (Read 13296 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: How often do you play?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
Valid question, that.

But I'd rather add a 3rd category to this: Hobbyist...

I've always been more drawn to the modeling and painting side of the hobby anyway, and even though the gaming aspect is still the excuse for me to justify the modeling and painting, the truth is (much like Maxxon admitted), that I would not miss the actual gaming part much, as long as I could still hobby along.

Not that I do not enjoy a good game, on the contrary, but if I had to choose between an evening of gaming or an evening of modeling and painting, I know what I'd pick most of the time. Still; it's nice to have a purpose for all the fiddly stuff I enjoy.

As for being a collector; what does a collector make? I would say that a collector would be somewhat methodical in his acquisitions, i.e. trying to complete a certain line of miniatures, or the work of a certain sculptor, or at least something like that. And then displays his (bare metal?) miniatures en-masse in display cabinets.

Someone buying and stashing every mini he can get his hands on is more of a Hoarder I suppose (yet another category?), whilst I still see myself as a gamer to begin with, when it comes to my acquisitions, as I will only buy the stuff I have an intended purpose for in one of the games I play (or want to play ::) ), even though my focus is on modeling and painting.

Muddy waters, but when being honest, I'm sure everyone could categorize themselves pretty easily.

Hello, my name is Daeothar, and I'm a Hobbyist... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »
Don't want to derail the topic but use of the term Hobbyist with a capital might incur some sort of IP infringement...

I never considered the modelling and painting aspect of the games I play as a particularly fun aspect of what I do. It was a means to an end. That being said, this was probably in most part down to my lack of self esteem re my painting skills.

Recently though, despite having not played much, I still find myself putting together stuff for a large number of projects. I find fun in the 'background' of games. The setting, theme, mood, and background all add to my enjoyment of a game. Perhaps that's all part of my starting the slippery slope of wargaming obsession through roleplaying as a young kid. It was about the story and events on the table as well as outcome of win or loss.

So yeah, back to the point of the topic. I might only play once a month or so but the planning takes up a lot more than that few hours of actual gaming.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
For the last two years its getting fewer and fewer. If its 12 times a year its a lot.
My gaming buddies left town, lost interest, get busy with family, work or discover other hobbies.
I must also admit, that I did so much wargaming during the past 15 years that I see this little drought also as a motor to get slowly back into new wargaming things. I didnt give up miniatures painting.
, ,

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
I probably get 3-4  proper table top games against an opponent in year, normally average about 6 games a year if I include solo games and zombicide.... Now, if you count reenacting as 1:1 wargaming, that number goes up at bit! ;-)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
Don't want to derail the topic but use of the term Hobbyist with a capital might incur some sort of IP infringement...

lol 
Oh my…

Hobbyist®

There: fixed that for ya   ;D

Then again: I’m not that kind of Hobbyist (anymore?), so on second thought, let me fix that again:
hobbyist

:D

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
Just spent six hours playing at school (off-timetable day).
Six player Napoleonic game, with 24 battalions of infantry, 8 sloops, 2 squadrons cavalry and a few guns. (battalions of 24-40 figures each, so quite a big game)
L-shaped table roughly 12 feet square.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 05:21:15 AM »
Never. Really rather pointless to continue, and sometimes I wish I could just walk away.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 06:23:35 AM »

I never considered the modelling and painting aspect of the games I play as a particularly fun aspect of what I do. It was a means to an end. That being said, this was probably in most part down to my lack of self esteem re my painting skills.

Recently though, despite having not played much, I still find myself putting together stuff for a large number of projects. I find fun in the 'background' of games. The setting, theme, mood, and background all add to my enjoyment of a game. Perhaps that's all part of my starting the slippery slope of wargaming obsession through roleplaying as a young kid. It was about the story and events on the table as well as outcome of win or loss.

So yeah, back to the point of the topic. I might only play once a month or so but the planning takes up a lot more than that few hours of actual gaming.

Further 'derailing' ahead:

I was playing RPG's for over 20 years before I took the plunge and I'm almost exclusively a skirmish game player. I do enjoy painting my miniatures but only do a quick job because I want to get a game in too :). Struggled for a few years at the club to get people to play 'my' games (mainly post-apocalyptic and old west) as they were more slanted towards the historical/ 'a certain company' ones, but have now found a guy or two that are more than willing to play whatever 'madness and flavour of the week' we can possibly muster.

Don't get to play/ paint so much, it goes in spurts depending on energy and time disposable, but certainly always have an idea or three going for games/ scenarios/ backgrounds/ fluff etc.

The club goers have seen Teddybears fighting Dinosaurs, Zombie survival, up-scaled Car Wars, superheroes and villains duking it out, Lovecraftian horror and much more this year only and we are positively embracing 'as long as you are having FUN, it doesn't matter what you play!!!'
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
Really rather pointless to continue, and sometimes I wish I could just walk away.

I can identify with you.  I think it is a habit that I can't break.  I tidied the shed the other day and found enough lead and plastic to cover the debt of a small country.......

I have, however, curbed my spending this year and only went to two very local shows.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
Never. Really rather pointless to continue, and sometimes I wish I could just walk away.

I haven't played a game in several years, a change in career has had me hopping about all over the place. I channelled my interests elsewhere in the hobby though, so instead of churning out badly-painted figures and being the guy my opponents won against, I do more research and rule-mongering. One day I hope to get back to painting and playing... Indeed I want to, but for the time being it just isn't possible.

I've never wanted to walk away myself, but I can sympathise with someone who feels they might as well.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
I'm in a club, so generally we play once a week, apart from when we don't and just chat and look at toys instead.

At weekend gaming events, I play and run quite a few games, but theses days I only do one of those a year. I also run games at shows, again less than I used to.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
It averages about once every 3 months currently but I am hoping this will improve soon.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 12:57:34 AM »
Wise words Scurv. Wise words.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:25 AM »
I get in a game every two months or so. The majority of my figures and terrain hasn't seen table time which is a downright shame.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 03:21:45 AM »
Wise words indeed Scurv. Glad you are still here amongst us to follow them!

I average 2 gaming days a month. Depends on the family plans as our club generally meets for some game every Saturday. RPG, skirmish, or campaigns for WWII to WAB there is usually some miniature game to join in.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;