Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Celt Minis - help?  (Read 8050 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Celt Minis - help?
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
Hi folks.

I'm contemplating a bad thing and starting a Celtic Army/Warband for my own amusement, or possibly playing PigWars and would like some advice from those better informed than me.

I would like to take advantage of the current Foundry offer and get a few of the Slaine minis from the 2000ad range as leaders/champions, and really like the look of the Renegade Celts as well. Does anyone know how they would match up?

I am also wondering about the Celtos and Chronopia minis too. I appreciate that they are very different in style, but would they be ok sizewise for character models? And has anyone ever ordered the Chronopia stuff from Prince August? It looks like a weird set up to me and I don't want to dive into something without checking it out.

(I also believe that the Black Tree Celts are pretty good sculpts, and value for money, but given their current inability to deliver people's orders, I think I'll be giving thme a miss...)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

JB

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Celt Minis - help?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »
What you want is a load of AA Sidhe (cos' I have lots to spare)

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
Rob

that's not a bad thing! it's a good thing! I have long coveted the Celtos range myself, but dare not add to the lead mountain! They're cheaper than they used to be when iKore had them as well  ;D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:07:22 PM »
The renegade are nice however suffer form the circket bat approach to swords smithing.

Worth checking out is a company called simple miniature games who are selling off their Confrontation range, there are some nice minis in their Kelts range which could be added including druids, warriors and some warp warriors

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
Cheers for that. Not too worried about big stupid swords, these would be fantasy Celts anyway, not historically based. (That way I can't stuff up painting them and get told off by people who care about things like that.)

I really can't decide about the Confrontation stuff. It looks all willowy and wrong to me, delicate somehow, even though I can certainly appreciate the talent that goes into the sculpting. Worth having another look at, anyway. Ta.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »
Why not just Celtos and EM4 “Barbarians?”  All Copplestones sculpts.

LINK

And don’t be put off by the crappy photos on the Website.  These are nice figures...

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:12 PM »
What about the latest plastic Celts from Warlord? They are quite cheap and one could add bits from GW or the like for an even more fantastic flavour. There are also druids in this range and all kinds of funny additions like naked fanatics, fighting women...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
Cheers for that. Not too worried about big stupid swords, these would be fantasy Celts anyway, not historically based. (That way I can't stuff up painting them and get told off by people who care about things like that.)

I really can't decide about the Confrontation stuff. It looks all willowy and wrong to me, delicate somehow, even though I can certainly appreciate the talent that goes into the sculpting. Worth having another look at, anyway. Ta.

If you dont fancy that there are still the big giant barbarians and Ogimos which would fit with foundry etc in that range and cheap as chips on that site

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »

I share your view on the Confrontation Celts. Their lanky look just doesn't sit right with me, nor do the somewhat contorted-looking poses. They'd look right at home in some French Art Nouveau-ish comic book, but nowhere else.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
I ordered Chronopia and Warzone stuff from Prince August once. Don't remember anything about the specifics, but there were no problems.

Sold the barbarians to a forum member too. :)
(but not because they were bad models, they were great, Kev White sculpts I believe).

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »
Thanks for that. It just struck me as odd the way they say order something, pay for it, we'll see if we've still got it, then either post it to you, offer you an alternative or give you a refund.

Seems a bit of a roundabout way of doing things. Still, that makes me a bit more inclined to take a punt if you had smooth service from them.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
Thanks for that. It just struck me as odd the way they say order something, pay for it, we'll see if we've still got it, then either post it to you, offer you an alternative or give you a refund.

Seems a bit of a roundabout way of doing things. Still, that makes me a bit more inclined to take a punt if you had smooth service from them.

I have bought a lot other dwarves from Prince August lately one of the packs was packaged incorrectly and as a result the chap didnt have a hand, when I asked for an exchange or additional hands they were unable to do that and sent replacements. I suggested in passing that rather than bin the packs they cast new hands up.

Their reply was they couldnt cast the figures? and so the incorrect packs would go for scrap and used for casting? I assume form this that this means they have a large existing stock but maybe cant produce new figures? I know thepackaging was the old Target games blisters hence describing rare etc!!!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »
Yes, I have heard something like that too, that they only have stock and can't cast new ones.

Kinda ironic when you think that this is a company that sells moulds to cast your own figures. ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »
I´ve got a bunch of old Harlequin Celts which I´d like to get rid of. Please note that they are on the shortish side of 28mm, and have a certain fantasy slant, but don´t look out of place next to more "historic" types as well as the Celtos stuff (although the weapons look far more realistic!).

If you´d be interested, drop me a line and I´ll look for them in my BigBoxesOfMiniaturesWithFarTooMuchStuffInThem(TM).

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
I have Foundry, Minifigs, Irregular, Harlequin, Warrior, Celtos and Chronopia.

Minifigs are smaller than all the rest but ok for adolecent skirmishers. Foundry, Warrior and Irregular are ever so slightly bigger than Minifigs but not so much that they wouldn't work in the same units, the difference is only a mm or 2. Harlequin, Celtos and Chronopia are slightly bigger again, about 2mm taller, but match well with each other. I don't think the last 3 could be mixed in the same units as the first 4 except maybe as leaders or champions.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin