Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Archers, Drabant Miniatures and other questions?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
Medieval Archers, Drabant Miniatures and other questions?
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:32:04 AM »
Can anybody offer any suggestions as to plastic archers for mainland Europe for medieval armies?  Perry WotR archer arms seem to fit nicely on some of the fireforge sergeant bodies, but that seems like an expensive fix since I would have to buy both boxes and combine them.  Also, since the perry arms are longbows, would anything made with them look out of place in a mainland europe army since it seems the longbow was used mostly by the english?   I was wondering if anybody has any other suggestions for this problem?

Similar to that line of questions, what type of bow would have been used by the continental armies of the time? 

One of the areas I would like to look at would be a central european army, from Moravia.  Would the fireforge plastics do well for this army?

Also, does anyone here have any experience with a company called Drabant Miniatures?  They are from Russia, and the only other place to get them that I have seen is from OldGloryUK, but the models look nice and I was wondering how nice they really are and how well they fit with other ranges?  I really like the new russians they have but the whole range looks nice.

That's all of the random unrelated questions I have for now, I have very little background on the medieval setting, so if some of those questions seem basic and dumb.....its because they are, but I would love any help offered!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Medieval Archers, Drabant Miniatures and other questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:59:53 AM »
Well what era are you trying to represent?
Medieval covers a long time frame with many different styles.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
1150-1350 or so

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:22:34 AM »
Conquest Miniatures, who do the plastic Norman knights and infantry, have a set of "Plastic Medieval Archers" in the works, not completely sure when to expect it to land, though.

There's not a lot of news that I've gathered on the set, just a few shots of 3-ups:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76124.0

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »
I have very little experience with drabant miniatures, but regarding archers, you could always make a notice in the 'Wanted' section on the forum. A lot of people have bought the perry boxes over the years, and there are bound to be some archer arms going spare out there.
And they do fit well on the fireforge infantry.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »
You might find the Perry English army box more suitable, it has 24 archers and is earlier than the WotR box by about 50 years.  It's not quite 1350 but I can't imagine it's much different (if that actually matters to you, it wouldn't to me, I would just buy the nicest set and these would certainly fit that bill).

On Drabant Miniatures, whack it into the search box on the left, and presto hey - like magic, up comes a list of topics to browse. My efforts and experiences are in there, or if you want you can head straight to my blog post on the vikings. Shortest version - they are the best metal minis you can buy.  :-*