Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689345
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My God! Maiwand! 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot  (Read 15207 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: My God! Maiwand! 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
Very cool vignette! Well done!  :D

Thanks Andy, the beauty is that all the mini's are based on 2 pence pieces and can (finally!) be used in a game!  :D

I found out recently that the Berkshires were all wearing khaki puttees except the officers who wore blue so I'm going to do the unit again and have the unit pictured above as a generic regiment of choice depending on the game.

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 06:09:05 AM »
For those who didn't have time to flit over to my blog, here's some pics of the single miniatures:

Offline thequestingvole

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 07:00:53 AM »
Lovely stuff - there's a monument to Thomas Rice Henn, the officer who commanded the "last eleven" in my local church. I think I have a picture somewhere.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »
Lovely stuff - there's a monument to Thomas Rice Henn, the officer who commanded the "last eleven" in my local church. I think I have a picture somewhere.

Now that I would love to see, please post it if you can find it!! :)

Darrell.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
Darrell, you are a true artist. Every time I look at your figures I'm struck by how nice a job you've done on them.

Signed, erm,

Daryl

(I have this odd feeling I'm talking to myself. The only thing that snaps me out of it is the realization I can't paint that well!)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »
Darrell, you are a true artist. Every time I look at your figures I'm struck by how nice a job you've done on them.

Thank you- much appreciated :)

Signed, erm,

Daryl

(I have this odd feeling I'm talking to myself. The only thing that snaps me out of it is the realization I can't paint that well!)

I know that very feeling! It's not that common a name (at least in the UK).....  lol

Here's more of the same unit:

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 03:41:04 PM »
Thanks Andy, the beauty is that all the mini's are based on 2 pence pieces and can (finally!) be used in a game!  :D

I found out recently that the Berkshires were all wearing khaki puttees except the officers who wore blue so I'm going to do the unit again and have the unit pictured above as a generic regiment of choice depending on the game.

Darrell.

That's interesting - I painted the officer puttees blue in my diorama, but I was under the impresson the rank and file wore slightly darker puttees than the actual uniform khaki - I did mine a brownish shade, Foundry Peaty Brown, I think from memory...

Can't remember where I got that info for colours from as it was a few years back now...I'll dig around a bit and see if I can locate it...

Nice shots of the individual models, BTW... I want to get mine done but am 'all kharkeed out' with all the Colonial stuff I did earlier in the year... lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
That's interesting - I painted the officer puttees blue in my diorama, but I was under the impresson the rank and file wore slightly darker puttees than the actual uniform khaki - I did mine a brownish shade, Foundry Peaty Brown, I think from memory...

Can't remember where I got that info for colours from as it was a few years back now...I'll dig around a bit and see if I can locate it...

Andy- quote from my blog (link above)  ;) :) :)

"I feel it necessary to point out my mistake in that it was only the officers in the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot that wore blue puttees and the rank and file wore khaki. Many thanks to Mad Guru of Maiwand Day Blog fame for pointing this out to me and acting as a fantastic source of inspiration which is very much an ongoing process for me. Needless to say, I will paint up the unit of the 66th in khaki puttees and this unit will be consigned to that of another! :>) I owe the soldiers that fought on both sides the right to be represented in the correct uniforms that at least.
"

Nice shots of the individual models, BTW... I want to get mine done but am 'all kharkeed out' with all the Colonial stuff I did earlier in the year... lol

I'm about to start some Mutiny stuff........  o_o o_o o_o :) :) going for quick painting..... hope the results are good!!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Lt. Henn, of the Royal Engineers, commanded the company of Bombay Sappers & Miners at the start of the battle of Maiwand.  Throughout the battle, including the chaotic retreat after the British line broke, the Sappers & Miners conducted themselves in exemplary fashion and suffered very heavy casualties.  Out of the 45 officers and men present, 16 were KIA and 6 WIA, a total of 22 casualties, virtually 50% of the unit.

@thequestingvole: I'm familiar with a couple of monuments to the fallen at Maiwand but I've never seen one dedicated to Lieutenant Henn, so if you find that photo, I'd also love for you to post it here!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
And the rest:

Thanks for looking,
Darrell.g]

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
They look great!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
Nice work on those Brits,how would you compare the Afghans from this range with those lovely Perry's you posted earlier ? :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »
Nice work on those Brits,how would you compare the Afghans from this range with those lovely Perry's you posted earlier ? :)

The Artizan Brits (and Afghans) are definitely larger then the old Perry Foundry sculpts. Still, it won't be very noticeable on the table top and I plan on using Afghans from Foundry, Studio Miniatures and Wargames Foundry in my skirmish games.

For regimental actions I'm waiting for the Perry wheels to start turning (usually with a fizz) on their Second Afghan War range.

Hope that helps? If not, once i have a number of the Afghans painted from the different ranges I'll be sure to post up a size comparison if someone hasn't beaten me to the post.

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
Will look forward to that  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »

Just to come back to this topic for a short while Andy; I've just read in Mike Snook's, Into the Jaws of Death: British Military Blunders 1879 - 1900 and I quote, "The men of the 66th were clad in standard lightweight foreign service helmet, khaki tunics and trousers, black ammunition-boots and navy blue puttees worn to the knee". Going on Mike's reputation for being a fountain of knowledge when it comes to Victorian Warfare I reckon that I have got the colour of the puttees correct for all ranks.

Cheers,
Darrell