Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Highlanders  (Read 11100 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Highlanders
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »
I only mentioned th Black Watch, as its a particularly attractive tartan and it would work well with a dark blue/black jacket.

On a side note my 6 Front Rank Highlanders arrived today. :) They are gorgeous  figures, I will endeavor to paint one up in the next few days and post a photo. (Not sure I will do them justice as they are finely sculpted) especially the faces.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »
I can't wait to see them.

[by the way, I know it is crossposted from VSF board, but it is strange to discuss VSF in swashbuckling board. If I remember well in the VSF board it is only the beginning of this thread. I think you should remove the discussion to the VSF board, or better copy it.]
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »
I can't wait to see them.

[by the way, I know it is crossposted from VSF board, but it is strange to discuss VSF in swashbuckling board. If I remember well in the VSF board it is only the beginning of this thread. I think you should remove the discussion to the VSF board, or better copy it.]

I will do once I have painted some. ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
Thanks guys.
I searched some photos and today's police bagpipers have a tartan with red stripes, [I donot know the actual clan] but is not black watch one. OK, I'll try some scheme and we might see!

The Black Watch, or Government Pattern, IIRC, is one you can use for pretty well any non-clan-specific figure. I believe it can be worn by anyone, even  :o Englishmen, but I could be wrong on that  lol

The pics I have seen of the NYPD Pipe and Drum band seem to have them in navy blue kilts and tunics, which looks a very good combination. They do seem to have a bizarre mix of Scottish and Irish items, which looks odd to this Sassenach and for me spoils the look of the uniform.

The navy blue combo would look good with navy Tam O'Shanter hats, with the diced capband and red and white diced stockings providing some colour to the uniform. Kilts were originally only worn by Highland Regiments. The Highland Light Infantry and later on other Highland Regiments wore tartan trews, which is a very good alternative. You could use standard bobbies [or Victorian infantry, with a police helmet added] and just paint the trews differently and if you want peaked caps, give them a diced cap band. You could even give their helmets a diced band, similar to the Napoleonic HLI caps.

I personally would go for trews for VSF Scottish Police. Police in highland uniform is an idea I might use myself at some stage, especially with the trews.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
Thanks guys.
I searched some photos and today's police bagpipers have a tartan with red stripes, [I donot know the actual clan] but is not black watch one. OK, I'll try some scheme and we might see!

The Black Watch, or Government Pattern, IIRC, is one you can use for pretty well any non-clan-specific figure. I believe it can be worn by anyone, even  :o Englishmen, but I could be wrong on that  lol

The pics I have seen of the NYPD Pipe and Drum band seem to have them in navy blue kilts and tunics, which looks a very good combination. They do seem to have a bizarre mix of Scottish and Irish items, which looks odd to this Sassenach and for me spoils the look of the uniform.

The navy blue combo would look good with navy Tam O'Shanter hats, with the diced capband and red and white diced stockings providing some colour to the uniform. Kilts were originally only worn by Highland Regiments. The Highland Light Infantry and later on other Highland Regiments wore tartan trews, which is a very good alternative. You could use standard bobbies [or Victorian infantry, with a police helmet added] and just paint the trews differently and if you want peaked caps, give them a diced cap band. You could even give their helmets a diced band, similar to the Napoleonic HLI caps.

I personally would go for trews for VSF Scottish Police. Police in highland uniform is an idea I might use myself at some stage, especially with the trews.

Thanks a lot. I'll go for something. Feel free to do some scottish police in trews.
What I see here is that we start to have a small competition: Scottish Policemen!!
I wait to see your endeavours.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »
[quote author=argsilverson link=topic=7926.msg89857#msg89857 date=1224590110

Thanks a lot. I'll go for something. Feel free to do some scottish police in trews.
What I see here is that we start to have a small competition: Scottish Policemen!!
[/quote]

I hope you have a comfortable chair - it could be a long wait   :(

I'll get them done one day, though.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »
[quote author=argsilverson link=topic=7926.msg89857#msg89857 date=1224590110

I hope you have a comfortable chair - it could be a long wait   :(

I'll get them done one day, though.
[/quote]

in fact I am not painting anymore myself. I have to commission someone and this takes longer!