Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:48:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BattleTech Alpha Strike Pics  (Read 2663 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
BattleTech Alpha Strike Pics
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
We played a game this past weekend! Great fun!

Played a nice, 164 PV vs. 180 (or so) PV game Sunday, July 5th. Great fun!  Two Merc groups scouting the ruins of an old Star League era factory found on a remote planet.

Unfortunately, my group, the Sand Devils came a bit light, and we payed for it! After engaging and using our superior maneuverability to stay ahead of the game for a bit, my opponent's preponderance of Heavies and Assaults took its toll. In the end we stripped all of the Armor from the Zeus, and got into his Vindicator's Structure, but got no kills. On the other end, my suicidal Clint pilot had his Mech shot out from under him!

Otherwise, we escaped with some heavy damage to various units, but no other losses. Here's a few pics!

Other reflections:

* We need more appropriately scaled terrain. I got a set of Brigade's 6mm sci-fi buildings. They're lovely and I will paint them up for the next game in two weeks.

* We did a few things wrong. Mainly spotting and IF, but we'll get it right for next game.

* Speed kills, but Armor rules when not using the optional damage rules. We played it straight. We may try optional damage later, but I like the fast, furious nature of the base game's combat.

Beyond that, I need to paint a few more Mechs to have my full company. Loving AS!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: BattleTech Alpha Strike Pics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:54 PM »
Good to see this getting some love.  I plan on running some skirmish BTech stuff in the future...(eventually...some time...maybe).  I don't much care for the Alpha Strike rules from what I've seen, but it's a step in the right direction for the genre I think.

Awesome to see that stuff on the table.  If you're looking for a good cheap option for terrain, check out the 10mm buildings from Dropzone Commander - two boxes full of card buildings which are perfectly suitable for the scale. They're just card, but they're cheap as chips and can give you a full 4x4 table in one box real quick.  Maybe a good hold over?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
Good to see this getting some love.  I plan on running some skirmish BTech stuff in the future...(eventually...some time...maybe).  I don't much care for the Alpha Strike rules from what I've seen, but it's a step in the right direction for the genre I think.

Awesome to see that stuff on the table.  If you're looking for a good cheap option for terrain, check out the 10mm buildings from Dropzone Commander - two boxes full of card buildings which are perfectly suitable for the scale. They're just card, but they're cheap as chips and can give you a full 4x4 table in one box real quick.  Maybe a good hold over?

Brilliant tip!  Thanks!  I will look into grabbing a set of those buildings!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:11:42 AM »
You know I just realized I subconsciously copied you.  I painted up a couple of mechs the other night (purely out of boredom) and wanted to differentiate one of the units...so I painted his arm a super dark blue.

Then I revisited your post and realized your mechs have blue arms!  GAH!

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 03:50:55 AM »
Great looking minis!  My gaming group is really enjoying Alpha strike.  I second Suggestion for using the drop zone commander cardboard buildings. They work very well even though they are 10 mm scale. Keep posting your games I  suggestion for using the drop zone commander cardboard buildings. They work very well even though they are 10 mm scale. Keep posting your games I always enjoy alpha strike aars.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
Are these the new plastics?  very nice!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:13:19 AM »
They look to be - the Centurion is in one of the lance packs.

EDIT: Here is the breakdown of current lance boxes they've released (note that 2-3 of each box are designs included in the starter box which had 24 mechs in it I think)

ASSAULT LANCE
-Atlas
-Blackjack
-Grasshopper
-Victor

PURSUIT LANCE
-Centurion
-Clint
-Jenner
-Wolfhound

BATTLE LANCE
-Zeus
-Hatchetman
-Banshee
-Orion

SUPPORT LANCE
-Awesome
-Vindicator
-Firestarter
-Charger

RECON LANCE
-Vulcan
-Flea
-Spider
-Cicada

COMMAND LANCE
-Cyclops
-Raven
-Catapult
-Cataphract

FIRE LANCE
-Shogun
-Trebuchet
-Dervish
-Stalker

STRIKER LANCE
-Quickdraw
-Dragon
-Guillotine
-Panther

Plastics, MSRP is $19.99...they're online for $15 a box
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:18:36 AM by Elbows »

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »
I have all of the new plastic lances and they are very nice minis.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
I'm not in love with the plastic, but they're the best plastic BT's...so that's okay.  I'm more ticked off about the price.  They're definitely not really worth $5 a pop...even $4 on sale.  I know the packs include cards etc., but the minis are maybe worth $8-10 for the four of them, if that.  I'll still pick up a pack or two simply because I must have a Victor, etc.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
@Commander Carnage I knew Sean was obviously in love with Alpha Strike, but I didn't know you were playing.

For itty-bitties, I thought you were focusing on OGRE. Speaking of which, taking any piccies you can share?  lol

Like you could be tied to one scale, rules, or even genre...  ;)

Doug

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
Thanks, folks!  these are the new plastics, and I love them!

And IMHO, I find that they are worth $5 a piece. They require no clean-up, feature crisp details, integral bases that suit the rules, and are practically indestructible under normal use. Also, once you get paint on them, they will never chip or nick.

For the sort of minimalist gaming I am doing these days, they're the perfect product for me.