Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More Eastern Front Action  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
More Eastern Front Action
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
On Monday we played a WWII eastern front game, using Battlegroup Kursk.
This was an attack on an enemy strongpoint, in this game held by the Soviets, Dave would command the Germans.
Looking at the terrain and Soviet positions and not knowing when and where Soviet reinforcements would arrive Dave decided not to detach a flanking force.
The German attack proceeded well with half of the Soviet defenders beginning the game pinned as a result of a preparatory bombardment, turn three saw any real threat with a timed Soviet Katyushka barrage, which destroyed one of the PzIVs and pinned the accompanying infantry.
The Germans drew an aircraft counter and for the first time in any game I have played in when diced for it did arrive, the plane was diced for and it was a HS129, for which I actually have a model for, OK so it is the later model with a 75mm ATG, I do have an earlier one with the 37mm cannon, but it is not built yet, come on now I have only had it for over 15 years after all.
I would have preferred the plane to be a Soviet one of course, but the disappointment was allayed by the plane promptly dropping its bombs on its own troops! Nothing was destroyed or killed but the resulting pins did stall the German advance giving the Soviets time to recover and hit back. The Germans never really got going again after that, except for a bold dash by one of the PzIVs which was met head on and destroyed by the arriving T34s.
After three hours of play with a brief stop for lunch the Germans exceeded their BR and called off the attack, with only one remaining PzIV and a depleted infantry platoon they would not have been able to fulfil the mission anyway.
Pics below with more on my blog, you can ignore the nostalgic drivel above them if you visit

There over that way you fool!

Soviet Infantry look on, grateful for the T34 support

The German CO watches in despair

T34s roll forward

http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/end-of-era_8.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: More Eastern Front Action
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
Great looking game.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: More Eastern Front Action
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
Excellent stuff!!! :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'