Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave question  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
Frostgrave question
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »
I really like the look of the Frostgrave art - and from what I've read it seems to be an exploration/encounters type game. Is there any provision within the rules for any sort of co-operative play? I'm looking for a dungeon-explorer game with the emphasis on the gaming rather than RPG side.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Frostgrave question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »
I'm still waiting for my copy of Frostgrave, but if you want a co-op dungon crawler, I can heartily recommend Myth.

That forces you to cooperate. In fact, there's no DM/GM, it's the players versus thr system, and actively encourages you to metagame.

It might not be to everyone's taste, but it has become an instant favourite with my RPG group and it hits the table whenever the attendance on an evening is too small to proceed with our actual RPG campaign, or when we're all too tired to bother with too much mental exercise.

It's a great game and a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it (it does have somewhat of a learning curve, mostly due to the rather convoluted rules book. That has been addressed with the advent of the first expansion though, with a PDF of a new version of the rules book).
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
The Mantic Dungeon Saga set is currently available for pre-order. This game is designed as a skirmish dungeon crawler with some rpg aspects (advancement, training etc).
It can be played in vs GM mode, partial co-op, full co-op or as a solo game.

http://www.manticgames.com/games/dungeon-saga-the-dwarf-kings-quest.html

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
The monsters/encounters are all handled by a simple NPC system, so it's eminently possible with a little work.

You may want to reduce down the size of players' warbands to (for example) a Wizard, a 100-point henchman and then 80-100 points of henchmen (so, about a third- to half-size). The focus of the game is on the players' wizards, so everyone really needs one (however different they may be in terms of spells) in order to keep all players involved to the same extent.

If I was playing this smaller-scale game, I'd also tweak activation. Normally, a Wizard activates and can also activate up to three henchmen within 3" of him. With such small gangs, this could mean everything going at once, and the back-and-forth between players would be lost (not that that's a crippling blow if everyone is cooperating). I'd suggest allowing a Wizard to include a single henchman within 3" on his activation.

That done, all you'll need is a good number of monsters to throw at them!

Also, the Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign (November) introduces more advanced rules for high-powered monsters - still controlled by the NPC system, but slightly more complex, as befits a magically adept threat.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
I really like the look of the Frostgrave art - and from what I've read it seems to be an exploration/encounters type game. Is there any provision within the rules for any sort of co-operative play? I'm looking for a dungeon-explorer game with the emphasis on the gaming rather than RPG side.

Frostgrave is a game where players control a Wizard and his Apprentice (if you choose to have one) and a small warband of warriors in a fight against your opponent and perhaps some wandering monsters/creatures...all while trying to retrieve treasure. Your Wizard and Apprentice can gain experience at the end of each game and become more powerful. The warriors can become more powerful by being allocated retrieved magical weapons/armour/items.

It's not an exploration game, really, nor is it a Dungeon Crawler either. It's more a skirmish level tabletop miniatures game with a strong campaign component.

As robh says, the upcoming Dungeon Saga sounds more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »
Also, the Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign (November) introduces more advanced rules for high-powered monsters - still controlled by the NPC system, but slightly more complex, as befits a magically adept threat.

A nice little tidbit, thank you for sharing :)

So looking forward to receiving my 2 x Level 3 Wizard packages from North Star :)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
Solo Frostgrave isn't something I've had a lot of time to explore as a writer yet - however, it is something I've just started tinkering with a bit. I'm hoping to work up a solo scenario as a magazine article or something. I think it has potential to play solo, as the monsters do act without player control and there is a lot of potential treasure to find, but it would certainly require a bit of work at the moment.

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone - lots to think through!

I suppose what I'm after is a co-operative exploration/crawler-style game with NPC enemies, which doesn't require a gamemaster. I'm thinking the Otherworld Miniatures skirmish rules may fit the bill. Dungeon Saga is definitely something to look out for as well. I've heard mixed reviews about Myth, but I'll take a look at that, too.

I'll still get Frostgrave, as it sounds as though there may be room for encounter-based scenarios which could be tweaked (thanks for the details, Smith!), and it generally looks like a great game!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone - lots to think through!

I suppose what I'm after is a co-operative exploration/crawler-style game with NPC enemies, which doesn't require a gamemaster. I'm thinking the Otherworld Miniatures skirmish rules may fit the bill. Dungeon Saga is definitely something to look out for as well. I've heard mixed reviews about Myth, but I'll take a look at that, too.

I'll still get Frostgrave, as it sounds as though there may be room for encounter-based scenarios which could be tweaked (thanks for the details, Smith!), and it generally looks like a great game!

Did you ever try the official D&D co-op dungeon crawl games? Castle Ravenloft, Legends of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon, and there's another one... They are quick and fun and filled with miniatures!

Thanks
n.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »
I have Ravenloft and Ashardalon boxsets, and I really like these games; Plus it's a very good (and cheap) way to build a classic fantasy dungeon miniatures bestiary (if you search a bit for best prices, it makes the figure for about 1euro/each and the game itself becomes some kind of bonus!  considering there is big monsters and all, it's a good deal).

I still plan to buy drizzt and elemental evil too !

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Did you ever try the official D&D co-op dungeon crawl games? Castle Ravenloft, Legends of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon, and there's another one... They are quick and fun and filled with miniatures!

Thanks
n.

I'm going to give Wrath of Arshardalon a go, I think! Are all of those games compatible with the Dungeon Command sets?

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
I'm going to give Wrath of Arshardalon a go, I think! Are all of those games compatible with the Dungeon Command sets?

They are compatible as in the Dungeon Command sets come with stat cards to use in those board games. The tiles of Dungeon Command are larger in size but can hook up to the board game pieces. But unfortunately there are no official rules for the tiles. Think of the Dungeon Command sets as add on monsters for the main board games.
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 10:59:34 PM »
They are compatible as in the Dungeon Command sets come with stat cards to use in those board games. The tiles of Dungeon Command are larger in size but can hook up to the board game pieces. But unfortunately there are no official rules for the tiles. Think of the Dungeon Command sets as add on monsters for the main board games.

Thanks - I'm liking the look of the Orc Dungeon command set (Blood of Gruumsh). Do you think the miniatures will take being re-primed and painted? The fact they're pre-painted is the only thing stopping me at the moment!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
I repainted some of the dungeon command dark elves boxset :

So I guess it's possible to paint the orcs too  ;)

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »
I repainted some of the dungeon command dark elves boxset :

So I guess it's possible to paint the orcs too  ;)

That answers my question pretty categorically! Great job on the painting.  :-*