Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ral Partha Chaos Wars  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
Ral Partha Chaos Wars
« on: July 10, 2015, 01:58:37 AM »
I've been amassing classic Ral Partha figures since before they were classic... originally just to paint and later to use in RPGs. Only recently have I started collecting them in force to use in wargames... so I bought a copy of the old Chaos Wars box set and have been happily looking over those rules... they look simple but fun.

Then, today, searching for more info and to see if anyone was actively playing the game I stumbled across a Kickstarter Iron Wind Metals had a couple months back to recast a bunch of the classic figures and expand on Chaos Wars.
Somehow I'd missed that completely... news channels overwhelmed by the great GW 'end times' kerfluffle I guess.

Anyway, did anyone hereabouts participate in that? I know they've got forces coming out this month and more planned for August (lizardmen!) but I'm curious what's planned for the expanded rules.
Any thoughts on Chaos Wars and how it plays?
I've got a fair sized army of 'dark'... orcs, giant, goblins, dark prince chariot, black dragon... but I need to spruce up some good guys for them to fight against, probably elves.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Ral Partha Chaos Wars
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »
I played Chaos Wars a bit when I was first getting into miniatures games, decades ago. I still have the old rules, too! My friends and I were trying out a lot of the different games that were available at the time. I remember enjoying Chaos Wars, but we did move on to other rules.

I really hope that they are releasing the Tom Meier lizardmen that were distributed by Citadel in the UK as well as by Ral Partha here in the US. They are beautiful figures and although I've got a few (maybe one of each?) I've been wanting to get my hands on more of them for a very long time! Do you know the specifics of what they are releasing?

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:07 PM »
Yeah, I love the Tom Meier stuff too... and it does look like those lizardmen/troglodytes will be amongst the stuff they're bringing out again. A force of the smaller ones was one of the options for supporters to add during the Kickstarter. I don't usually go in for Kickstarters but I wish I hadn't missed this one.

There was also some mention of 'advanced rules' for Chaos Wars coming out but I'm not clear what that entails. It did sound like the basic book would be back in print.
At the moment my interest in the rules is probably fueled mostly by nostalgia... to use those old figures in the rules they were meant for, even though I've never played it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:06:56 PM by Simlasa »

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
I just noticed IWM has been putting up videos about their shop and the Kickstarter plans... ALSO, they put up this cool little interview with Tom Meier where he talks about how he got started and various sculpting materials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-GelHOZTY

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:46 AM »
What I would like to know is how the new models turned out. I mean, they needed new masters for some, so that probably means more shrinkage ( and maybe an extra mould line ) to the finished product.
I have quite a few of the original Partha's already, but if the new ones turned out less "crispy" and even smaller than the original ones I'll pass...  :'(
Leadhead

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
I've seen photos of the new ones but it's going to be hard to tell till there are some in hand for comparison. IIRC they've got Mr. Meier working on some new sculpts but so far I think that's limited to some elf figures and maybe an orc.

Here is Ral Partha's upcoming release page: http://www.ralpartha.com/index.php/upcoming-releases
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:47:47 PM by Simlasa »