Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:18:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dangerous Delivery - A Pulp Alley in the Verse AAR  (Read 7535 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Dangerous Delivery - A Pulp Alley in the Verse AAR
« on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:07 PM »
All,
     Well, as so often happens, the game did not go as I expected.  The scenario was loosely based on an episode of Firefly called "Trash".  The scenario was that Saffron managed to convince Mal and the crew to help her recover a very valuable item she had stolen but had to ditch in a hurry.  The item she explained was hidden in an old warehouse on a desolate, deserted planet.  So easy in, easy out with a big payoff she insisted.
     Mal, Zoe, Jayne and Saffron took a shuttle to the planet to recover the goods.  So far, easy-peesy, right?  Well, what Saffron neglected to mention, was that the planet being desolate was a frequent stopover for Reaver ships trying to avoid notice.  As the group picked up the stolen loot, Wash contacted Mal, "Captain, just wanted to let you know, a Reaver ship just set down not far from you, best be getting out right quick".  The three shipmates sent steely glances towards Saffron, who gave her best coquettish smile, and promised a quick get away.
   The Reavers, a leader, a sidekick and two gangs moved towards the warehouse, as they had intel informing them of weapons to be had.  Saffron remembered a side door, which the group quickly moved towards.  Mal was able to easily get through the security code needed to open the door, and the group with the loot got out.  Today though, would not be a shiny day.  Jayne and Mal managed to take out one gang of Reavers, but the second kept up an effective fire, putting Saffron out of the fight.  Mal and Zoe moved towards the shuttle, while Jayne stayed with Saffron and the loot.  Bad idea, as the Reaver leader attacked Jayne, and bested him in close combat, and with a "Finish It Off" card, sent Jayne to the great beyond.
   The Reaver leader successfully grabbed the loot, and as Mal and Zoe lifted off in the shuttle, the remaining gang of Reavers closed in on the shapely form of Saffron.
   It was a good game, but a bit too quick for my taste.  The fact that the Reavers won almost every initiative roll was a big factor.  I may try a solo version soon.

Nick
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:54:48 PM by NickNascati »

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dangerous Delivery - A Pulp/Firefly Alley AAR
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:30:12 PM »
Sounds like an interesting game  :)

I'm fairly new to PA - but I think there's only one initiative roll, right at the start of the game.  Subsequently, initiative only switches for decisive combat and taking plot points.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:25 PM »
I interpret what it says on page #14, to mean that the initiative changes at the start of every turn.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:50 PM »
See clarification here: (3rd post by Dave in the thread)

http://pulpalley.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49&sid=ee9c9d431bc9ba1aeb6b06a95125bd0c

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »
Right, I have read that, in fact it is in the rule book.  I guess I am used to a turn ending when all figures on both sides have done something, therefore a new initiative roll is needed.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 12:02:30 AM »
I am the same way, and it took us a couple of games to get used to the way it functions.

We've found that having the initiative function in way it does really ups the tension and brings an additional layer of strategic thinking to proceedings - do you risk an attack on a slightly less powerful foe? Can you risk having a lowly monion out in a risky area? Do you rush to complete a Plot Point? or is it better to have a character ready to tackle a Plot Point, just in case?, and so on...

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »
It is an interesting game system.  I've played it a few times now, both solo and head to head.  I ma sure there are things I am still not getting right, but each game seems better.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Mila, is this worth a Phantom Agent reward?

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
Re: Dangerous Delivery - A Pulp Alley in the Verse AAR
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
Any pics? :)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »
Sorry, no.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:33:22 PM »
We've found that having the initiative function in way it does really ups the tension and brings an additional layer of strategic thinking to proceedings - do you risk an attack on a slightly less powerful foe? Can you risk having a lowly monion out in a risky area? Do you rush to complete a Plot Point? or is it better to have a character ready to tackle a Plot Point, just in case?, and so on...

Exactly!! Instead of Initiative being just a pre-planned random die roll, it is a really meaningful part of the action in Pulp Alley. You're always one step away from potentially stealing/losing the Initiative. And it gets rid of yet another arbitrary die roll.  lol lol

When you play with Dad or some of the other really experienced players, you see how they actually prepare to lose/sacrifice the Initiative so they can reclaim it before the turn ends. They are crazy good. It's like a chess match. lol lol

Mila, is this worth a Phantom Agent reward?

You bet! Thanks for sharing your game!!  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:46:16 PM »
Mila,
       I wish I could play with some experienced players.  I know I'm doing some things wrong.

Nick

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
I wish I could play with some experienced players.  I know I'm doing some things wrong.

Dad would be the first to say that the rules don't really matter. If you're playing and having fun, then you're doing it right!!  :D :D

And if you have any questions, please let us know.

Have fun!