Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: StormBringer's Wasteland Wandering Project Log  (Read 2979 times)

Offline StormBringer

• Schoolboy
StormBringer's Wasteland Wandering Project Log
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:05:49 AM »
Greetings fellow Wasters! I've been a lurker around here for a while and decided it was past time I become official. Disenchanted with my usual gaming choices, I recently decided to branch out from the three big name minis games (all with War in the title) and look for something new to spend my hobby time on. I've always been a fan of the Post Apoc genre, but never even thought about doing it on the tabletop. I'm kind of tired of massed warfare and wanted something on a skirmish level that had a really good campaign system. Lucky me, I was directed to a new game that had recently come out called This is Not a Test. Fantastic game that brought back fond memories of games like Necromunda and lets me really go to town on building terrain, as I love scratch building.

For my first post, I thought I'd share a terrain piece for TNT, a WIP shack/shed full of Zombies! Players better burn it down/blow it up fast! Not sure if I should add more zombie bits or not yet. I don't want to overdo the bits, but I don't want it to look like I didn't do enough. The zombies in the doorway will have a back plate like the windows do, which will be painted black and the zombies will be painted as well as I can do blend them in with the background. I could add a few more heads in the background of the doorway, maybe a few more grasping arms, but they won't be that visible anyway. Also, I did not get a photo of the back, but there are broken planks and I'm thinking I could model as zombie as if he is crawling out from under it, but not sure if I like that idea yet. I'm waiting on the roof till I finish adding zombie bits. Anyway, pictures!

I have a lot of terrain I'm working on at the moment so I will use this spot to share everything I make for TNT, as well as the minis I paint (once I get a camera with a better macro setting). Expect more soon!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: StormBringer's Wasteland Wandering Project Log
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »
Lovely idea  :)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »
Great stuff. Our local rules have 'jump off points' (See Chain of Command) where Zombies appear from. Your shack is an idea I may very well steal, though my first impression was of a shipping container & I may make that. Chains & locks will eventually break, won't they.

Offline StormBringer

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:33:20 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you like it! Yeah, it is a PA shack or shed, but without the roof yet. You could easily do the same with a shipping container, and I was also thinking of doing that as I need a total of 3 of these spawn points for This is Not a Test. I'm working on a toxic pool with zombies climbing out of it as well as an underground bunker entrance (inspired by Wrymalla), but the bunker piece ended up being really big - maybe too big to use as anything but a regular terrain piece. Anyway, lots of fun building these and def useable in any other game with zombies in it.

For the toxic pool, I have some clear water effects, but I need it to be a toxic green color. Any ideas on how to achieve this? Would mixing some acrylic paint into it color it enough do you think? Gotta test it out once the zombies are painted.

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 01:27:49 AM »
Great little piece- I look forward to seeing it finished.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
Toxic pool, I love that idea. I'm sure that someone does some zombies coming out of oil drums (though I cannot remember who) They would be great half submerged.
As to the water effect, I put down layers of varnish. I start with a lot of pigment in the 1st (bottom) layer, reducing the amount of pigment as I go. On the lower levels glue down things you want semi submerged, e.g.reeds; dead bodies; leaking oil drums etc. Then keep on putting down the layers. If I need a quite deep 'pool' I use filler for the lower levels as this speeds the whole process up.
Good luck on your projects & keep posting pictures.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
I'm sure that someone does some zombies coming out of oil drums (though I cannot remember who)

Eureka.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
Love this piece as you can use bits of bobs of various zombie kits without the necessity of painting the entire zombie.  Very thematic too.  A+
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Looking good dude.  :o

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 02:09:32 AM »
 :o :o :o Fantastic Sir!

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
Very atmospheric!