Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:57:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PSC Tank Sprays (and decals)  (Read 780 times)

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
PSC Tank Sprays (and decals)
« on: April 20, 2024, 01:33:04 PM »
Just starting to dabble in 20mm/ 1/72 and I have a load of PSC vehicles to paint up. I have their tank sprays as I didn't really want to get an airbrush and tackle that learning curve.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the matching colours were for the Tank Sprays so I could highlight.

https://www.wargaming3d.com suggested the following matches:

Dunkelgelb as VJ middlestone 882
German grey as Revell grey
Russian as VJ Russian Green 894
British as VJ Russian Uniform 924
US as VJ violet brown/olive drab 887

Can anyone here comment on the above suggestions as some comments were not fully agreeing.

Also wrt to decals I know PSC do quite a few (not a lot of Allied though), what are people's (UK based) go to source for these ? (NWE theatre)

Thanks all

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
Re: PSC Tank Sprays (and decals)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 02:30:00 PM »
You might want to try a bit of colour modulation if you are only going to spray from the can thus giving you some variation in the colour ? Just prime in black(spray can) and highlight raised/worn areas in white(spray can). You can use bits of cardboard to blank out bits you dont want sprayed. Finally go over with your spray can colour eg.  924 Russian green.

Lots of videos on youtube about colour modulation.

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 05:05:41 PM »
I think Plastic Soldier Company has just got in a large new lot of decals. Lots of them seemed to be out of stock a few months back. I would probably buy directly if you are in the UK.

I can't help you on the spray colours, except to say that I found the PSC Dunkelgelb can I had to be surprisingly green. It may have just been the batch I bought from.

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 07:30:20 PM »
I think Plastic Soldier Company has just got in a large new lot of decals. Lots of them seemed to be out of stock a few months back. I would probably buy directly if you are in the UK.

I can't help you on the spray colours, except to say that I found the PSC Dunkelgelb can I had to be surprisingly green. It may have just been the batch I bought from.

I had the same green issue :(

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 08:04:48 PM »
Not tried the PSC product but I'll happily recommend the Vallejo spray cans, which are quite true to colour. Not surprisngly they also match with their corresponding acrylic lines.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 11:19:09 PM »
I'll amend my last remarks. The Vallejo spray cans are good for colour matches but avoid their Bronze Green, it's nothing like British Deep Bronze Green being a rather grey colour. Dunno what they were aiming for with that one. Just spent half an hour repainting a vehicle and trailer.  >:(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 03:18:47 AM »
I like most of Vallejo's stuff, and their sprays are good quality - though not my favourite colours.  Their dunkelgelb/desert yellow spray was also exceptionally green to me.

I also found their Russian armour to be very dark green...darker than I generally see 4B0 (though it may be due to simple sun fading).

I use Vallejo sprays on most of my models now, but I don't use them as base-coats for my WW2 stuff generally, lol.

PS: If you're looking at decals, many of the "12mm" stuff from Victrix works - and their sheets are superb...albeit very expensive, around $5-6 per small sheet.  They are really solid though and work well on most 15mm stuff.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 12:19:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all. It seems I should have started off with VJ sprays !!
@modelwarrior I'll check out the modulation approach.

I just sprayed up the dunkelgelb last week and actually it seemed quite yellow (with a green tinge). Of course I have learnt over the years that no two people will see a colour the same way as my better half  will testify!

Interesting view on using the 12mm decals for 1/72. I will take a look.