Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Woodbine 18pdrs and Turkish Krupp 75  (Read 7643 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Woodbine 18pdrs and Turkish Krupp 75
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »
I've just noticed that Woodbine Design/ Gripping Beast have some nice artillery pieces due soon

http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/turk_crew%20666.jpg

http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/Brit_crew%20666.jpg

Should fill some gaps. The Turkish gun is a very useful addition, those Krupp export guns saw service with a lot of armies, Belgians, Japanese, Chinese etc etc. Hope they do some Brit crews in tropical kit for the 18 pdr.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
Re: Woodbine 18pdrs and Turkish Krupp 75
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »
I'm just painting up one of the Anzac 18pdrs now

and it's a lovely bit of kit, I'll post pics over the next few days on my blog

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 02:10:57 AM »
I'll be interested to see if they have designed this artillery piece correctly, unlike the ubiquitous Krupp 77 cm C 96  n/A that we keep seeing popping up from manufacturers. I'd love to equip my Turks with this piece.

Of course, Brigade Games with their FK 16 being the first manufacturer to bring out something newer in the artillery range which is good news. Not to mention Tiger miniatures following on with their piece!

As you can guess I like my artillery pieces!  8)

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »
Helen

Bill T has the Krupp 75 sat on his painting desk even as we speak. I'll have a word with him later and see if he can get some WiP pics of it for you

Offline pbeccas

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
The Brit crew are crying out for Anzac bush hat head conversions.  I am hoping Woodbine release some head packs for the various Empire nations so we can do some serious converting.
There will be no Dunkirk here. If we have to get out we will fight our way out. There will be no surrender and no retreat"
Australian General Les Morshead. Hero of Tobruk.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:17:02 AM »
Helen

Bill T has the Krupp 75 sat on his painting desk even as we speak. I'll have a word with him later and see if he can get some WiP pics of it for you

Thanks Mike, I'd be very greatful.

Helen

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
I'll be interested to see if they have designed this artillery piece correctly, unlike the ubiquitous Krupp 77 cm C 96  n/A that we keep seeing popping up from manufacturers. I'd love to equip my Turks with this piece.

Of course, Brigade Games with their FK 16 being the first manufacturer to bring out something newer in the artillery range which is good news. Not to mention Tiger miniatures following on with their piece!

As you can guess I like my artillery pieces!  8)

Judging by the photo on their site not quite. The Turkish version of the export Krupp had a slightly curved upper shield as did the Japanese version and the photos I've seen of the Chinese examples. There is also a curved cover over and partially around the barrel where it meets the shield. These are probably the two main noticeable differences from the 77mm domestic version.

The former seems to be absent the latter can't be sen in the photo supplied by WDC. The shield doesn't worry me, they're easy enough to replace with plasticard or brass. The rather distinctive barrel cover/shield is a real bugger to do because of the angles. Hope they got it right. I found Tiger's choice of the FK16 bizarre. It doesn't fit with any of their existing ranges.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:55 PM »
Oh and since I'm being picky, the photos and indeed the pieces I've seen show the forward gunners seats having simple open hand rails not the closed solid affair seen before the gun shield on the Woodbine version. I can understand it woud be easier to cast this way but............ In fact it's looking more and more like just another 7.7cm m96 n.A

There are at least five examples of this gun in this scale and this is looking like being the sixth. It's odd because one would think that if someone has bought a particular maker's version, you'd be inclined to stick with it when purchasing more. A different gun and well it's easier to justify the discrepancies. The various Krupp export models were amongst the most widely exported guns of the period so it's not like it's an archane item.

The wheels look a bit off to me too. Oh well the gun crew are no doubt useful but on further examination I think I'd be more inclined to stick with conversions of other peoples' Krupp 7.7cm

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »
Hi Carlos,

Yes my first impression of the WDC Krupp was indeed thinking along the same lines as you. As you mentioned there are various unique features that places the export Krupp firmly away from the Krupp 96 n/A.

Next year I might just bite the bullet and get one made for commercial use an ask for something in return. I'm surrounded by these pieces in Canberra, alas, probably not so far an awide in the world.

Chow,

Helen

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »
In fact eighth iteration. Renegade, Old Glory, GWM, Foundry, Reverisco, Battle Honours, FOA and now this.  Personally the GWM one looks most appealing, the OG one is a little on the small side.

Helen I'd be interested. Maybe we can both work on Mike Broadbent.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »
In fact eighth iteration. Renegade, Old Glory, GWM, Foundry, Reverisco, Battle Honours, FOA and now this.  Personally the GWM one looks most appealing, the OG one is a little on the small side.

Helen I'd be interested. Maybe we can both work on Mike Broadbent.

Thanks Carlos, actually the Battle Honours is a very nice model too -Just painted up two for our Palestine game in December.

Michael knows my thoughts on this topic.

Chow,

Helen

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:15 AM »
So, where are the pics for this projected December Palestine stoush?  ;D

Thanks Carlos, actually the Battle Honours is a very nice model too -Just painted up two for our Palestine game in December.
Michael knows my thoughts on this topic.

Chow,
Helen
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 06:33:17 AM »
Very soon 8)

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 10:16:05 AM »
hi all

I've just finished my 18pdr and crew and posted a few pics on my blog.

but I thought I would post a few here as well for you to see

hope you like it

Mike

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
Lovely work Mike.

What colour do you use for the shirts? My shirts are a little darker!

Cheers,

Helen