Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 391302 times)

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave - Rules (Questions, Errata, Clarifications)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
Damage from 'Out of Game' spells is ignored. I would presume that this prevents you from Empowering such spells, as otherwise there's no risk. (eg Empower an 'Animate Construct' to automatically create a Large Construct)
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »
If the friendly model shoots into combat, the random roll is made after the shot. What if one of the models (the enemy one) is under effect of Glow? Will that affect the shooting roll or should the randomness be upgraded adequatelly. Thank you.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »
Damage from 'Out of Game' spells is ignored. I would presume that this prevents you from Empowering such spells, as otherwise there's no risk. (eg Empower an 'Animate Construct' to automatically create a Large Construct)

Pg 75, re: Out of Game spells 'These spells may not be empowered.'

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 11:56:14 PM »
Pg 75, re: Out of Game spells 'These spells may not be empowered.'

Thanks, I'd missed that

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
Had a quick flick through the rulebook last night (just before being distracted by the figures again..) and looking at the bestiary couldn't find rules for the notes in the descriptions, demon, undead, animal etc..

I'm assuming 'large' is somewhere in the shooting rules?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:40:17 AM by Ray Earle »
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
When making a new wizard and his starting warband, can you roll for Animal Companion/Animate Construct before buying soldiers?  As success in those spells takes a soldier slot this could impact on your decisions quite heavily.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »
Had a quick flick through the rulebook last night (just before being distracted by the figures again..) and looking at the bestiary couldn't find rules for the notes in the descriptions, demon, undead, animal etc..

There are no special rules associated with those traits per se, they're more tags that are relevant for certain spells (e.g. Bind Demon, Control Undead etc.). Kind of like Age of Sigmar is doing, but we beat them to it!  ;)

I'm assuming 'large' is somewhere in the shooting rules?

Yup - page 40.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »
Regarding the Wizard and Apprentice phases and activating soldiers, can you activate the soldiers individually or only with a group action?

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »
Regarding the Wizard and Apprentice phases and activating soldiers, can you activate the soldiers individually or only with a group action?

I'm not sure I follow...

• In the Wizard phase, you activate your wizard and (if you wish) up to 3 soldiers that start the phase within 3" of the wizard. They all act, then you move on to...
  • The Apprentice phase, wherein you activate your apprentice and (again, optional) up to 3 soldiers within 3" of the apprentice at the start of the phase that have not already been activated that turn.
  • Once that's done, it's the Soldier phase, where any soldiers who have not yet been activated are used.

It might help to note that it's not a group action, it's a group activation - they are activated at the same time, but may take entirely different actions - there's an example on pages 30 and 32 that might be helpful.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
I'm not sure I follow...

• In the Wizard phase, you activate your wizard and (if you wish) up to 3 soldiers that start the phase within 3" of the wizard. They all act, then you move on to...
  • The Apprentice phase, wherein you activate your apprentice and (again, optional) up to 3 soldiers within 3" of the apprentice at the start of the phase that have not already been activated that turn.
  • Once that's done, it's the Soldier phase, where any soldiers who have not yet been activated are used.

It might help to note that it's not a group action, it's a group activation - they are activated at the same time, but may take entirely different actions - there's an example on pages 30 and 32 that might be helpful.

Sorry for the action/activation mix up. What I'm asking is...

Situation: Wizard phase with Wizard and 3 Soldiers within 3".

Can I activate the Wizard and do his two actions, then activate soldier A and do his two actions, then soldier B, then soldier C? Or do I have to do a Group Activation where movement is always the first action and each figure is moved prior to any remaining actions?

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »
Thanks @smith.

In the description for major demon it says something along the lines of 'large entity from another plane of existence, may take many forms, sometimes with its own magical powers', I just assumed that referred to my one. Maybe not then..  :'(

Surely 'large' things should get a bonus to damage?  ;)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Major Demons are something I know Joe is working up in more detail – given the sheer variety possible, covering them in depth in the rulebook wasn't really viable.

While I wouldn't recommend it for player-summoned demons (or even in games where there's a decent Summoner, for that matter), a Major Demon can be tweaked and upgraded as players agree – give it spells of its own (lasting spell effects are easiest to incorporate into the creature activation system, but others could also be used – the Nickstarter mini-campaign and the forthcoming Thaw of the Lich Lord both include creatures that don't follow the usual activation system, for example; if using an umpire, just go to town and have the Major Demon run as a warband of one!), tweak its stats etc.

Most 'Large' creatures have higher Fight stats to reflect their increased damage potential, but if you want to layer on even more pain, add in 'Huge Weapon' (attacks count as being from a two-handed weapon) or the Ice Toad's 'Powerful Jaws' (triple damage!).

I'm half-tempted to drop into a game a Major Demon with the Beauty spell in effect, and a variation on Teleport (any random movement the creature has to make is a teleport of d20 inches... or something like that). With fighting the thing so risky, it'd make for a tricky game of trying to lure the creature just enough to avoid its random teleportation, but staying far enough ahead to avoid being caught (or, better yet, handing it off to an enemy model!).

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 10:00:29 AM »
Sorry, Phil, I removed your message about Group Activation to avoid confusion. This is probably an area of the game I probably could have written more clearly. Let me try again.

During the wizard phase, you can activate your wizard and up to 3 soldiers who are within 3 inches of him when the phase begins (so where the wizard starts the phase). It does not matter what order these figures activate in. You could activate the three soldiers and then the wizard. So, picking a figure, the player completes both actions for that figure then moves onto the next.

The above is standard activation it is NOT Group Activation. Group Activiation is a special move which allows you to activate the same figures, but instead of activating them one at a time, you make all of their first actions together. This has to be movement. Then each can take a second action, one at a time, in whatever order the palyer chooses.

In point of fact, Group Activiation doesn't do anything that can't be done with normal activiation. It is just in the rules to make it easier for a player to move figures like a little unit if he wants, so that it is easier to keep their relative positiosn organized.

Hope that clears it up?

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
Randomly teleporting Major Demon, I like that!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
Hope that clears it up?

It does, thanks. :)